X

Head light bulb turn black

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head light bulb turn black

I have katana 2002 GSX 600F, would some one please help me with that when I replaced my head lights, some how after couple days my light bulb turn in black but it wasn't burnt. Since it was turned in black so it made the light really dim. Anyone have any idea to help me with that situation. Thank you very much.

Touching the bulb with your fingers will do that or moisture getting in the fixture will cause that. Your not supposed to touch the glass when handling the lamp, make sure the seals or boots are in good condition and fit right.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I did not touch the bulb at all because when I put it in, I have took all fairing off, so it was too much room for me to work around it. Do you have any idea beside touch a bulb? Thank you very much.

Comment

Moisture or even over voltage
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

if it turned black due to over voltage then can you help me how to fix it? Thank you sir

Comment

You need to verify voltage first, test the voltage at the lamp plug, raise the rpm to about 2500-3000 and watch the voltage. What is the peak voltage? Over 14v?
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

yes, you are right. When i raised the rpm 3500-4000 and the voltage is 14.26 v.
              Any idea because I have had replaced a bulb twice and it still turned in black after while. I have checked headlight housing as well to see any open, but nothing wrong with the headlight housing. Light socket and rubber cover is good as well. Can you please help me. Thank you very much.

Comment

Originally posted by simba2007 View Post
                yes, you are right. When i raised the rpm 3500-4000 and the voltage is 14.26 v.
                Any idea because I have had replaced a bulb twice and it still turned in black after while. I have checked headlight housing as well to see any open, but nothing wrong with the headlight housing. Light socket and rubber cover is good as well. Can you please help me. Thank you very much.
                I don't think kats have a regulator, so I would say that it's probably your alternator pushing too much voltage, in which case you'd replace it. But I'm not 100% sure. Someone with more bike/kat specific knowledge will chime in shortly I'd imagine.

Comment

Kats have alternators so, yes they have a regulator. The orange wire going to the alternator is the regulators control voltage it should read battery voltage, if it drops the alt output will rise.
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                    Kats have alternators so, yes they have a regulator. The orange wire going to the alternator is the regulators control voltage it should read battery voltage, if it drops the alt output will rise.

This... and it's a very common issue for the voltage to drop so there is overcharging on the Kat.

krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

then what can i do to take care of the issue, because i have to replace 3 pair of bulb in last month. please help me. Bulbs too expensive.

Comment

Start tracing the Orange wire, it terminates at the fuse box. Check there first and go forward.
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran

Comment

you just want to make sure it doesn't has any damaged wire?

Comment

Yea and it has a good connection all the way from the battery to the alternator.
                            spammer police
                            USAF veteran

Comment

yes sir, i will do that and will let you know. Thank you for your help and you have a good week end.

Comment

Working...
                              X