Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

MY bike idles at 3 rpm drives like crap ajustment?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MY bike idles at 3 rpm drives like crap ajustment?

my bike has been idleing at 3k for the past 2 weeks im not sure whats going on or how to fix it ?

Questions:

(A) Does it hang at 3k and then slowly drop over the next 60 to 120 seconds down to normal, or does it stay constant at 3k?

(B) What was done to the bike just before this started? Carb work, valve adjustment, etc.

Probable causes:

(1) Someone screwed with the idle adjustment thumbwheel (located by your left knee when seated on the bike);

(2) Throttle cable(s) too tight. Always suspect if the carbs were removed or the cables disconnected for any reason.

(3) Minor vacuum leak (such as a vacuum port cover on a carb where the carbs get hooked to sync them, or the vacuum line from carb #1 to the petcock). If the vacuum lines are over 4 years old, replace them to be on the safe side and to rule that out (vacuum line is cheap - $3 ought to get you enough to replace all of it).

(4) Dried fuel residues and/or sticking carb parts as a result of dried fuel residues. Adding a fuel system cleaner, such as Techron, into your fuel will resolve this.

(5) Bad o-ring at the pilot screws or between the carb feed rails (basically the little o-rings cracked, letting a minor vacuum source happen). Suspect if you adjusted your idle mixture settings, or if the bike is 8+ years old.

(6) Stuck or broken choke cable (disconnect cable at carb end and see if problem goes away -- if so, replace cable);

cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

do you unscrew the pilot screws all the way and look in the hole to see the o-rings?

Comment

Yup . There's the screw , then a spring , then a washer , then the o-ring . Always fun to get those out .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

We are talking about the little screws on the bottom of each carb correct? I just want to make sure before jumping into it.

Comment

Part number 39.
            Suzuki Part #13295-29900 for the 97 Kat 600's.

But there are other o-rings involved that can also be problematic, such as #21, or item #15 in this fiche file

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
            X