X

How on earth do you remove the rear wheel bearings

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How on earth do you remove the rear wheel bearings

I managed to mount my own tire and now I'm noticing my rear bearings are in rough shape. How do I remove them from the rim?

A hammer and a drift, just catch the lip and knock them out.

Comment

A drift? Is that a screwdriver? How do you get it to catch the edge. The spacer inside keeps me from getting to the edge inside

Comment

With great difficulty. Lay the wheel on its right side, supported by wood blocks so that the bearing can drop free. Using a piece of 1/2" steel rod as a drift, catch the inside edge of the right-side bearing and whack the rod with a hammer. Keep doing this, working your way around the bearing so you're not getting it cockeyed (and stuck) until it drops free. There's a spacer between the left and right bearings that will make your life difficult until the bearing starts to move. As soon as the bearing starts to move, you'll be able to push the spacer to the side a little. Enough to let the rod seat well on the inner bearing race, at least.

Once you get the first bearing out the spacer will drop out with it and the second bearing is a breeze.

To install the new bearings, Freeze them overnight, heat up the wheel with a torch or hot air gun and then drive them into place. Use a block of wood to keep the hammer from damaging the new bearings and remember to only apply force to the outer race. Remember to put the spacer in there before installing the second bearing. Cut up one of the old bearings by cutting through the outside race. Then you can use the old bearing to drive the new ones into place without getting the old bearing stuck in the wheel.
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
          To install the new bearings, Freeze them overnight, heat up the wheel with a torch or hot air gun and then drive them into place.
          Wouldn't you want to chill the wheel as well, since aluminum reacts the opposite of steel... it shrinks when it heats up....

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Everything I've ever seen says to heat the wheel. I did and the new bearings went in pretty easy. Biggest issue i had was that the bearings go in farther than the lip on the wheel so I had to use the old bearing to push them in the last little bit. The first one I did, the old bearing got stuck in there and was a pain to get back out. That's when I came up with the idea of cutting it so it could be removed like a snap ring.
            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Best tool I've found for the job: http://pitposse.com/whbereset.html

Much easier and faster than a drift and hammer.

For putting new bearings in, put the bearings in the freezer before you start the job. Heat the hub good and hot, and the new bearings should almost drop right in.

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
              Everything I've ever seen says to heat the wheel. I did and the new bearings went in pretty easy. Biggest issue i had was that the bearings go in farther than the lip on the wheel so I had to use the old bearing to push them in the last little bit.
              Flat end of a big socket is what I use.

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
              Wouldn't you want to chill the wheel as well, since aluminum reacts the opposite of steel... it shrinks when it heats up....

Krey
              Aluminum and steel both expand with temperature. Aluminum has a higher thermal expansion than steel (almost twice as much thermal expansion from aluminum), so sometimes heating the whole assembly will make bearings easier to remove.
              Last edited by thetable; 05-19-2012, 09:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
              Pics
              Pics
              No pics yet
              Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by Stinger02 View Post
                I managed to mount my own tire and now I'm noticing my rear bearings are in rough shape. How do I remove them from the rim?
                stinger when we going to ride?
                sigpic
                "Horsepower has a tendency to break things, if your not breaking anything your not going fast enough"
                "The shortest way between two points is a straight line...Whats the fun in that?"

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys and that's a good question. My poor bike has been off the road a couple months. My tires were bad so I changed them myself but while doing that I noticed the bad bearings. My work schedule keeps me so busy that I hardly have time to work on it but hopefully we can go riding soon!

Comment

Working...
                  X