X

2000 GSXR 600 Inverted forks on a 2000 GSXF600

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 GSXR 600 Inverted forks on a 2000 GSXF600

Is it possible to swap the Katana forks out to the GSXR inverted forks?
    I know I would have to get the front rim too because of the front axle bolt, but I dont know about the trees and everything else.
    Thanks!!
    If you think routine maintenance is expensive,... Try Ignorance!

Yes. Direct swap? I dunno. Anything is possible given enough time and money.

Try searching for "USD" forks.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by GSXF 600 Guy View Post
      Is it possible to swap the Katana forks out to the GSXR inverted forks?
      I know I would have to get the front rim too because of the front axle bolt, but I dont know about the trees and everything else.
      Thanks!!

The discussion of USD forks on the Kat has been done before. As steves said, use the search button. Look in the "Suspension" section. This is the wrong spot to be looking for this subject.

Suzuki still used right-side-up (conventional) forks for the 2000 GSX-R 600, so you'll need to rethink which model years you're talking about, and find one that meets your wishes.

You'll need basicaly the whole front end when it comes time to do the swap. Nothing will be compatible from the right-side-up forks that the Kat's have to an USD fork.

Triple
      Forks
      Axle
      Wheel
      Brake calipers (maybe new brake lines)
      Rotors
      Fender

If you really want to do some research, go over to Maximum Suzuki, you'll need to regester, and search for "USD forks" or "upside down forks" over there. There's a huge Bandit thread over there that has a lot of info. The Bandit uses the same top and bottom bearings as the the Kat, so the information will be usefull to see what could work for the Kat.

That's where I got a lot of my information from before I bought my parts.

Have fun.
      Last edited by squiggy; 11-10-2008, 03:07 PM.
      How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
      How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
      How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
      How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

the like 86-95 GSXR 750 and some year 1100 use the same steering head bearings too. Like Squiggy said, you need the ENTIRE front end to do that swap.

Comment

Hey, i've done the swap to a 01 kat with gsxr 1100 forks, was a direct swap.

but now i have a 98 too, but im working with gsxr 01 750 forks, that im trying to make a swap but the bearing are different! I shaved the plastic holding the stock katana bearing, but there isnt enough room for the bearing bolt/washer that hold the bearing in place from moving around. Ive the full set of bearings but they dont fit into the top of the frame where the triple trees go.

Just confused any advice?

Comment

Originally posted by Handydandy View Post
            but im working with gsxr 01 750 forks, that im trying to make a swap but the bearing are different! I shaved the plastic holding the stock katana bearing, but there isnt enough room for the bearing bolt/washer that hold the bearing in place from moving around. Ive the full set of bearings but they dont fit into the top of the frame where the triple trees go.

For the top bearing, use the bearing from Twin Works Racing.

Comment

Did you just do the forks or the whole front end? Cause Suzuki is trying to sell me a complete front end off a laid down Busa for pretty cheep, but they arent giving me no info on what is needed otherwise (head bearings ect..).. In another thread, someone had done a Busa swap on a older model and it was a direct swap. He just needed the complete front end. The head bearings were a direct fit, and it didnt interfere with the turning at all. But trying to find out more info is just not easy. Suzuki isn't very helpful on the dimensions of anything. They just want to sell "stock parts".

Originally posted by Handydandy View Post
              Hey, i've done the swap to a 01 kat with gsxr 1100 forks, was a direct swap.

but now i have a 98 too, but im working with gsxr 01 750 forks, that im trying to make a swap but the bearing are different! I shaved the plastic holding the stock katana bearing, but there isnt enough room for the bearing bolt/washer that hold the bearing in place from moving around. Ive the full set of bearings but they dont fit into the top of the frame where the triple trees go.

Comment

Last Activity: 01-29-2009 01:51 PM

Comment

I am curious as to why you are doing this mod? The look, suspension performance or what?

Tmod

Comment

because, everyone THINKS that cartridge forks are better than damper rod forks.

Comment

More adjustablity, plus they look waaaay cool.

Comment

so give the people that can't tune damper rod forks more adjustments they don't know how to use. Sounds like a win/win situation to me.

Comment

The forks have been leaking for awhile even after I had the seals redone. Suzuki told me that the forks needed to be replaced cause they are scrached internally.fork seals for me right now last about a month and a 1/2 before they start leaking. And im not paying a crap load of money to them for stock suspension if I can get better off a GSXR or a BUSA for the same amount. Around my area, I have seen on the road alot of Kats with the inverted forks. (Was never able to find the owners to see what they had done(cause they were parked)) Gotta Love New Hope, PA. Bike Haven on nice days.. I mean if about 70-75% of the ones i see have it done, im sure their is a difference in the ride quality right..... ???
                          Or am I ????

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                            so give the people that can't tune damper rod forks more adjustments they don't know how to use.

Ain't that the truth.

Comment

Working...
                            X