X

Grab A Cog

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grab A Cog

I want to install a rear sprocket but I'm not sure on which one to get I don't want to scew up my highway cruising too badly. Right now at 100kph it turns about 4800rpm's how much more of an increase would there be????
    Gripp & Regripp

Sprockets and such

I am looking into changing rear and front sprockets and chain.

I dont mean to hijack the thread, but 12k is enough on the original set.

What is the combo for down one in front, up two in the rear and the chain to go with it...

or I could just call Thom and ask...

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure riding an FZ1 and a Triumph 955i has turned me into a bit of a hooligan.

Comment

i dont think milage matters on the sprokets
      -Alex

Currently Looking for a pre 98 katana project

Comment

Originally posted by LS6TT
        i dont think milage matters on the sprokets
        I have noticed the magical red dust beginning to show itself on the chain.
        Better safe than sorry

Comment

o the chain for sure can be worn out, i thought he was saying the sprokets
          -Alex

Currently Looking for a pre 98 katana project

Comment

-1 front=plus3 in back . -1 can keep same length chain , dunno about adding to the back . But I THINK I read that every one up in the back add one link to the chain .... My -1 upped the cruising rpm's by only a couple hundred .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
              -1 front=plus3 in back . -1 can keep same length chain , dunno about adding to the back . But I THINK I read that every one up in the back add one link to the chain .... My -1 upped the cruising rpm's by only a couple hundred .
              Is there any way to recalibrate the speedo to correct for the smaller gear?
              Gripp & Regripp

Comment

And where to buy?? Is one make better than the other?
                Gripp & Regripp

Comment

There's this thing called a Speedohealer that's supposed to do the trick . And a front sprocket is just steel , so one should be as good as another .

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                    There's this thing called a Speedohealer that's supposed to do the trick . And a front sprocket is just steel , so one should be as good as another .
                    Thanx for the help.
                    Gripp & Regripp

Comment

CyberPoet's "98+ Katana Sprocket Ratio Charts and sprocket notes", at MotorcycleAnchor.com, now offering permanent, reusable earplug collections for $6 shipped!
                      AND
                      CyberPoet's "How to understand motorcycle sprocket math and drive ratios," at MotorcycleAnchor.com

As for the magic red dust, your sprockets and toast are due for replacement. From my:
                      CyberPoet's "Understanding Motorcycle Chain wear and maintenance" at MotorcycleAnchor.com, this failure analysis:

FAILURE ANALYSIS:
                      The picture (above) is an example of a chain that is failing at 7800 miles, although it has not reached it's elongation limit by a far shot. Specifically, the chain has the following problems:
                      The red color close to the seals on the exterior side-plates is the sealed bearing lubricant normally used to lubricate the rollers. The seals are leaking, so the lubricant leaks out and dries into a red powder (red coloring is common to most chain brands, but not all);
                      If you look closely at the seals themselves, you'll notice what appears to be lengthwise grooves in them; this is caused by using too hard a bristle during cleaning, one in which the material of the bristles was harder than the materials in the seals;
                      The inner side-plates are not aligned evenly, meaning that the lowest link in this picture is already compromised beyond the point of failure;
                      The rider said he diligently cleaned & lubed his chain every 400 to 600 miles. Based on what I see, he should have cleaned less and lubed more.

WHAT TO DO:
                      Replace this chain immediately! Failed seals cause chains to bind and break, putting the rider at risk.
                      Lubricate far more often that you do -- remember, you can lube far more often than you need to clean!
                      Change your cleaning method to a different method and/or use a softer brush.
                      In this case, consider using an oil instead of a chain wax, because the cleaning abrasion indicates that the rider probably went over-board compensating for sticky-build-up. Oil flings, carrying away excess sand and dirt, while waxes trap them there...

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

This is going to be my first mod when I return home. Thanks for giving out the tips.
                        Know your means and then ride within them.

Comment

is there a number stamped on the chain/sprockets to Identify wich ones I have? or do I just count links/teeth?

Comment

Sprockets should have a number stamped on them . Gotta count the links on the chain , though . You can count the side plates and multiply X 2 , or count the rollers , whichever's easier .

Comment

Originally posted by katana bob
                              is there a number stamped on the chain/sprockets to Identify wich ones I have? or do I just count links/teeth?
                              If you're replacing the chain because it needs it now, you probably need to replace the sprockets as well, in which case you don't need to count anything if you want to stick with the stock set-up for your bike (15 tooth front, 47 tooth rear, 118 link chain; Vortex and a number of other firms make pre-made kits with chain + sprockets for your bike).

Cheers
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X