Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Picked up my first Kat to tinker with...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picked up my first Kat to tinker with...

Thought I’d introduce myself – Mike from Connecticut, proud new owner of a rather beat 1995 GSX750F.

Needed something to wrench on this spring and found this 1995 GSX750F that needed some help. Rough looking, not running, carbs off, broken stuff, etc... I dragged her home in the back of my buddy’s truck and now she shares the shed with my '81 GS1100E daily rider.

I'm a decent ‘80’s GS wrencher (having around 8 or 9 of them at various points in the past), and figured the GSX couldn't be too different from their ancestors. I guess we’ll see. I’m also a member of thegsresources.com community.

Already I see I have electrical issues. Stuck a battery in, hit the starter and… nothing. Direct wired the starter just to make sure the engine turns over and that’s OK. Carbs look complete but need a complete dip clean. Planning on checking valve clearances then see how she runs.

I’m sure I will need advice from the brain trust here to get her running like she should, and I thank you in advance for your patience while I ask really stupid questions.

I’m looking for an OEM service manual for this bike & have come to realize that wiki tab is not coming back anytime soon. If anyone knows where I can get a free download copy I would appreciate it greatly.

Mike

Welcome to KatRiders
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

thanks, is it hot in the springs yet?

Comment

Welcome to the forum. You'll find this forum just as good, if not better, than gsresources, which I'm also a member (83 GS1100E and 82 GS1100G). I have a 88 GSX1100 and I love it, even faster than my GS1100E if you can believe that! The Katana's have a safety switch requiring you to hold in the clutch lever to start, even if its in neutral, maybe that is your issue. You didn't mention if the dash lights come on when you turn the key? Don't hesitate to ask questions here, also use the search feature for your needs. Good luck with your rebuild.
        2005 Harley Davidson Softtail Deuce
        2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
        1995 Kawasaki GPz1100
        1988 Suzuki GSX1100 Katana
        1983 Suzuki GS1100E

Comment

Welcome from yet another GSR member!

I'm 78550GS over there.
          1990 GSX1100F- abandoned in 2005, rescued by me in 2011, I'm gonna ride it if it's the last thing I do.

1981 GS750EX- Father in law gave to me, full resto in progress with late model suspension.

1979 GS850G Free shafty

1978 GS550E- The wife bought it for me for father's day (So she could learn to ride on it too)

1977 RM80- My son's resto.... he's 3...

2012 Qigo quad- pink Camo for my little princess.

Comment

Originally posted by retcol View Post
            The Katana's have a safety switch requiring you to hold in the clutch lever to start, even if its in neutral, maybe that is your issue.
            OMG, I didn't even think of that! I routinely bypass that switch on all my bikes & completely forgot about that! Hope it's that easy to fix... Couldn't see the dash lights because I was outside & it was very sunny, but the headlight worked. Haven't had the time to give her a complete assesment, but I'm hoping it will just need routine care & feeding to be a runner.

Next step is to disassemble & clean the carbs & go from there.

Hoping there's a little less "hate" going on in this forum - the GSR was getting mean for a while. I have the same screen name over there: hikermikem.

Comment

Welcome to KatRiders.
              Not much hating going on here, but when one of our members (arsenic) forgets his meds he can get a bit testy and quick tempered, but means nothing by it and we just let him rant over in a corner for a while and then he is fine. so don't let him get to you if it happens.

Also there is a kick stand safety switch so if to try to put the bike in gear with the side stand down it will cut off also.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Welcome to KR Mike.

There's nothing too fancy on the Katanas, so you should do fine. Good luck.

Comment

Welcome.
                  Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory.
                  ~Author Unknown

Comment

Welcome to KatRiders. Basic wrenching skills, logical thought, and using this sites search engine will get you through alot. Dig in and have fun.

Comment

Welcome to KR
                      Ride like it's your last ride
                      sigpic

Comment

Welcome aboard..
                        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran
                        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
                        X