Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

91 katana cooling fan/fan controller issue!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 91 katana cooling fan/fan controller issue!

previous owner had it set up to a toggle, flip on before you ride and off when done, well fan motor went out....replaced fan and fan controller(wich was completely fried) figured it would fix the toggle problem...but fan still does no come one...does it have to reach a certian temperature first? whats wrong or am i missing something? yes, fan works fine, i can run a wire to fround the harness to the fan controller and fan come on...please help!!! thanks

anyone?

cant seem to figure it out.....

Comment

what fan?

Comment

The california model Katana bikes have an emissions control cooling fan that is supposed to reduce the boil off out of the carbs by blowing cool air on them. What it really does well is just run the battery down.

The best option... is to remove the fan entirely. It's not needed, and really does not do anything for you. It won't effect your inspection, and it does not do anything for cooling the engine.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
          The california model Katana bikes have an emissions control cooling fan that is supposed to reduce the boil off out of the carbs by blowing cool air on them. What it really does well is just run the battery down.

The best option... is to remove the fan entirely. It's not needed, and really does not do anything for you. It won't effect your inspection, and it does not do anything for cooling the engine.

Krey
          Agreed if this is the fan hes talking about, since he said it was modified by the previous owner i didnt know if they put a fan in front of the oil cooler or something

Comment

its the cooling fan and fan controller...

dont have a manual...so i went to bikebandit..had a diagram...its the cooling fan and fan controller.....its stock as far as i know..it was on a toggle im assuming that it was due to the fan controller relay was fried...so it was ran right off the batt. from what i read,its suppose to come on when the key is turned to power on...and off when key truned back off....,as far as its purpose, i personally dont know, just figured its suppose to be working....just spent money i didnt have ...buying another fan and fan controller relay.....now im not able to get them to work together...and i know the fan works, i can hook up a ground wire and touch it to the ground on the plug...and fan runs.. As far as where it is and what it looks like...in my other post, check bikepic10.jpg its a pic of it, and its location. so i dont need the fan? it wont run hot without it? or interfere with anything since its controlled byt the ignition and relay type fan controller..or ecu/cdi??

Comment

ok. the California version of the katana had a cooling fan. that is the only fan that is on a stock katana. and it's only on california models (models intended for california).

THAT FAN DOES NOTHING, AND CAN BE REMOVED WITHOUT HARMING THE MOTOR OR THE BIKE IN GENERAL.

you can disconnect it and remove it from your bike. you don't need it.

but

If you really like the fan and want to keep it. i would suggest using it as a oil cooling fan and mounting it behind your oil cooler for better cooling during stop lights and traffic jams down in Florida's hot summer.
              Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
              Tony
              94 Katana 600

Comment

wow....

lol..really? the fan really does not do anything? i thought since it was stock on the bike ..it had a purpose. assuming it was there to suck the heat out or away from the motor/carbs..etc. so i just spent like 140 bucks for something i didnt need? ouch! lol and the bike has been apart for about 3 weeks waiting on the guy i bought it from to arrive...and i didnt need to...that bites too lol from what im getting from this, is i have a california model katana? when i recieved the new fan controller (relay type plug unit) i opened up the one i had that was fried...it has some circuitry in it, more than a relay normally does, and its harness is tied into the ignition and cdi box....wich is one of the reasons i thought it was important to have it working. i took better, or closer pics of the fan and the fan controller....if that would help determine anything, i could post it...but i wont bother if more than a few of you more experienced guys on here all agree the its safe to ride without using the fan at all....thank you

Comment

well post it up. it might help someone else who has a similar problem to you. hopefully they will see what you did and not have to waste a bunch of money. the more information we have ready for people that need it the better.
                  Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                  Tony
                  94 Katana 600

Comment

Pictures would be a tremendous help...if its the carb fan yes you just wasted your money...
                    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    Originally posted by soulless kaos
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

bikes apart now...heres the fan after i put it on and controller

carb fan it may just be...but according to bike bandit diagram, its listed as the cooling fan and fan controller. and the fairing has cutt out for it..seem to be factory...idk
                      Attached Files

Comment

another thing...

not sure, but i think i need or will need very soon a good cheap alternator...mines on the way out, not sure how cheap or easy it is to replace the rectifier or regulator...might just as well replace the entire unit...thanks

Comment

Originally posted by suzuki32953 View Post
                          carb fan it may just be...but according to bike bandit diagram, its listed as the cooling fan and fan controller. and the fairing has cutt out for it..seem to be factory...idk

yes, it's factory... it's the Ca Emmision Factory Carb cooling fan... and totally not nessasary at all. Does nothing but run your battery down.

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

what??

well crap....i just bought another fan and fan controller...wasted money i guess then.....doubt the guy i bought it from will take it back, since it took him almost 2 weeks to even send it off after he recieved my money....so it has no purpose? its not electrically tied into the cdi control system? carbs wont run hott without it? again,...crap! lol

oh, and as far as my alternator/rect or reg issue....i charged the batt....started bike and put on a multimeter....running batt says its fluctuating between 13.20 and up to 14.40 when giving a lil throttle...bout 3 grand. mmm i also left the meter on..bike off..to see if something was draining the batt. when i looked it was at about 12.45 to 12.60.....started bike and it jumped to 13.55...gave a llil throttle and went to 14.20..... guess will wait til the morning and see where its at...hopefully i dont have something still draining the batt while bikes off somewhere.....batt. was bought in june..still kinda new i guess....
                            Last edited by suzuki32953; 10-01-2010, 11:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by suzuki32953 View Post
                              well crap....i just bought another fan and fan controller...wasted money i guess then.....doubt the guy i bought it from will take it back, since it took him almost 2 weeks to even send it off after he recieved my money....so it has no purpose? its not electrically tied into the cdi control system? carbs wont run hott without it? again,...crap! lol

oh, and as far as my alternator/rect or reg issue....i charged the batt....started bike and put on a multimeter....running batt says its fluctuating between 13.20 and up to 14.40 when giving a lil throttle...bout 3 grand. mmm i also left the meter on..bike off..to see if something was draining the batt. when i looked it was at about 12.45 to 12.60.....started bike and it jumped to 13.55...gave a llil throttle and went to 14.20..... guess will wait til the morning and see where its at...hopefully i dont have something still draining the batt while bikes off somewhere.....batt. was bought in june..still kinda new i guess....
                              That fan has a purpose, just not one that most people care about (including myself). The purpose of the fan is to cool the carburetors to reduce fuel evaporation from the float bowls. If I'm not mistaken, the fan should turn on after you turn the bike OFF, not when you turn it on.

It sounds like your charging system is relatively in order. It's normal for the bike to sit around 13-13.5 at idle and up to 14.4 at speed..... the last time I had a regulator go bad, the bike was charging at 18-19V at speed!
                              Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Working...
                              X