X

freeway

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• freeway

whats the best tip you can give a new rider about freeway riding? remember im in CA.. bad bad drivers
    Matt

The Difference Between Ordinary And Extraordinary Is That Little Extra

Make yourself visible.

Don't get in a blind spot. And don't stick to the middle of the lane (too much oil and muck on the road surface). Keep yourself in the drivers mirrors. If you can see their face in the mirror, then they can see you (if they bother to look).

Also, when overtaking them, watch their hands if you can. You are higher and should be able to see on the way past. You'll do it without thinking after a while. You want to pre-empt them changing lanes. The old move, then indicate, then finish moving trick. If you see their hands move on the wheel you've got more time to react.

And stick close to them when overtaking. That way if they move across on you, you will have a bunch more lane to move into while beeping and flooring it. Hopefully that'll give you the time to get out of their way.

And don't give anyone the finger. That was a hard habit for me to break. Someone pisses me off when I'm in a car and I'll flip them off. If they get agro, they'll just smack up their car and my car and have to pay for mine to be fixed. I get to ride while mine is off the road. If they get agro and you are on a bike, then you could end up flat with tire marks on your clothing. Not a good look.
    fulcrum (aka David)
    Blue 2004 GSX750F
    Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.--Isaac Asimov
    If you can keep your head, while all around you are losing theirs, then you probably aren't grasping the situation

Crash virginity lost: March 6th 2005

Comment

most definately, make urself visible. Don't lane split unless ur absolutely confident you can do it as safely as possible. Use ur high beam, ALL the time.

take caution when passing big trucks and tractor trailers..the after blast of wind, even when passing them is pretty beastly.

keep ur head on a swivel, on the lookout for anything from swerving cages, to debris on the road, to john q business man on his cell or soccer mom in her Hummer who can't handle it. Don't tailgate!

Comment

Don't wear boxers, cuz if you hit a bump, your boys will slap the tank, and it hurts, trust me. Also, behind a semi, you will get bad wind shakes at certain distances. I like to always have a escape route, but in traffic, that is not always possible. I always assume that no one see's me, and I drive as if no one sees me, that way I am always on top of things. Take your time, and don't rush yourself. Highway driving is way different that city driving. Just relax, and make sure you wear your gear!!!!
        Kan-O-Gixxer!
        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
        -Ohlins Susupension
        -Various Other Mods

Comment

thanks for the tip lou.. but i wear boxer breifs 8) incase you wanted to know
          Matt

The Difference Between Ordinary And Extraordinary Is That Little Extra

Comment

Here the two worst things are slow drivers in the fast lane and people cutting you off without there being any room for them. Also, the really dumb ones will cross several lanes to cut you off. All of this while talking on the cell phone, eating a gut buster and reading a book. Even saw a guy playing guitar on the 5 south one day. best thing is to always watch for them, leave yourself plenty of room make yourself visible and everything Fulcrum said x2!!!
            sigpic

WERA West #71/MWGP #71/CVR #71
            MSF Rider Coach 27028
            MoPowerSports.com
            Torco
            SoCalTrackDays

Comment

You should have gone with Gix and me to Malibu; we did some special freeway riding. I tend to not only watch out for everything and everyone. But try to anticipate people moves and mistakes. I totally agree with the blind spot thing, I stay out of theirs, and I keep them out of mine if I can help it.
              1995 GSX-R 750W (Barney Bike - Street)
              2004 GSX-R 600 (Race Bike) - Powered by MoPowerSports.com
              Certified Addicted Racing/Trackday Monkey & Gixxer Fixxer // WERA West #224

Comment

Don't waste time overtaking the other vehicle. If you spend too much time in their blind spot they will forget you're there. When passing a big truck don't waste time, when being overtaken by a big truck slow down and get him past you as soon as possible. You don't want to get hit by a retreaded tire that happens to come apart while you're in range.

Comment

Stay away from the freakin' transport trucks or (semi's I guess you call them) on the highway (or freeway, you call 'em). Be visible, expecially if you have a dark coloured bike (or colored bike as you spell it)

Deak away from them and you're be fine!
                  Start every day with a smile and get it over with - WC Fields

Comment

Stick to the carpool lanes whenever possible, eliminates one lane to worry about. Watch the rivets and cracks in the road, though. I like carpool lanes but I think they are the worst maintained parts of the freeway.

Keep a good distance between you and the car in front making sure you have an escape route and check mirrors constantly. It's hard to hear on a bike and a large, fast car zooming by unexpectedly can be unnerving.

As been said before, when you pass do it decisively. Roll throttle and get on by.

If you think the guy in front or on the side is going to do something, 9 outta 10 they will. Look up the road rather than right in front. Scan ahead to spot potential danger spots.

If you see an idiot running up your tail, find a gap and let the brain-dead go by. They're usually kids or Jeff Gordon wannabees and if you speed up to put some distance between you two they always think you want to race.

I only lane-split when the traffic is at a standstill or a crawl. No more than 10mph faster than the traffic and never faster than 40mph. I've seen others rip it up while splitting and frankly, that would scare the hell outta me.

BUT ALWAYS:
                    Give a little thank you wave to a car that sees you lane split and moves over to give you a bit more room. Those drivers deserve props. Not because they let you go by, but because they are aware of their surroundings and other traffic and not self-absorbed. Good drivers deserve to be acknowledged.
                    sigpic

Comment

trick to transports....pass on the left only...NO EXCEPTIONS!

when you want to pass...stay right at its rear...about 5-10 ft behind trailer....wind buffeting is less there..air crrents "roll off" causing turbulence.

When the lane is clear COMPLETE LENGTH of transport...get into tuck...in the Right portion of lane...pass swiftly...do not take your time.

When you pass, you might feel a slight pull into the side of the trailer created by the vortecies...lean away slightly from truck.

just as you pass the nose of cab...be prepared for a slight push of bike to left....you might want to lean into it a little.

as you pass the truck..look up at driver...acknowledge him...he is bigger then you, create goodwill between the biggest and smallest vehicles on the road...plus he is WORKING...your out enjoying yourself.

Truckers have a hard enough job...make it easy for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Range
                        as you pass the truck..look up at driver...acknowledge him...he is bigger then you, create goodwill between the biggest and smallest vehicles on the road...plus he is WORKING...your out enjoying yourself.

Truckers have a hard enough job...make it easy for them.

Especially Walmart truckers. They're good people and real friendly.

Right BG!?

Comment

I have an exception. That is not good advice for my part of the world. That'll get you killed down here.

We drive on the left side, while you guys drive on the wrong side.

For correctly aligned countries, only pass on the right.
                          fulcrum (aka David)
                          Blue 2004 GSX750F
                          Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.--Isaac Asimov
                          If you can keep your head, while all around you are losing theirs, then you probably aren't grasping the situation

Crash virginity lost: March 6th 2005

Comment

Originally posted by fulcrum
                            I have an exception. That is not good advice for my part of the world. That'll get you killed down here.

We drive on the left side, while you guys drive on the wrong side.

For correctly aligned countries, only pass on the right.

sigpic

Comment

I stand corrected...and the reason, if you were not sure...it is VERY difficult for the driver to see a vehicle, let alone a bike on his opposite side.

Comment

Working...
                              X