X

OMG!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMG!!!

Holy crap...... I went to pick up my bike from the shop finally ... She is running 100% . Now its time to learn how to ride. So I got my first real hands on lesson in traffic. I a 20 or 30 minute ride from the shop to the house. Dad followed close in the car to watch me . I have never been so scared in my entire life... I an not talking about my dad following me . But my ride home ..I felt Free but at the same time scared as ****. What I finally pulled into the driveway,shut her off took off my gear and put my head down . Officially scared ****less. Sad part about it I am still trembling everytime I think about it..and this is how it feels to be riding a motorcycle??? Wow feel like I have just crossed into a whole nother world....interesting ?? I guess lol
    "Oh I will tag you back !!"

Originally posted by Major Voltron View Post
    Holy crap...... I went to pick up my bike from the shop finally ... She is running 100% . Now its time to learn how to ride. So I got my first real hands on lesson in traffic. I a 20 or 30 minute ride from the shop to the house. Dad followed close in the car to watch me . I have never been so scared in my entire life... I an not talking about my dad following me . But my ride home ..I felt Free but at the same time scared as ****. What I finally pulled into the driveway,shut her off took off my gear and put my head down . Officially scared ****less. Sad part about it I am still trembling everytime I think about it..and this is how it feels to be riding a motorcycle??? Wow feel like I have just crossed into a whole nother world....interesting ?? I guess lol

Are you sure you should be riding a motorcycle?
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Get yourself into a MSF class ASAP! Take the time to get comfortable with handling the bike before you try traffic again. Then when you go back out there you can focus on what the road and the vehicles around you are doing instead of having to split your attention between them and the bike. You don't need to be another statistic.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Major Voltron View Post
        No.. You shouldn't be nervous or trembling.. you should be aware at all times of everything going on around you... After almost a year of constant riding I don't even notice the bike or what I am doing on the bike anymore... Just what everyone around me is doing at all times..

Comment

I can sort of say I know what you mean... Taking that long of a trip your first time can put a toll on you. Was it all freeway or back roads? IMO if your that scared take some smaller trips everyday if you can like to the store and such to get a better feeling and to get more comfortable with your bike. That's what I did at least, I drive through Dallas a decent amount now and am not really scared anymore, just always alert.

Comment

I sort of know what you mean, even though Ive been riding since I was a child. I went over 11 years without riding, and after I bought my Kat it felt like I was starting all over. It didn't help that the tires that were on it looked like racing slicks and it was VERY unstable. I got it home safely, had new Road Attacks mounted 2 days later, and it felt like a different bike. If you haven't went though a safety course yet, I highly suggest it. Other than that, find some rural roads where traffic isn't going to be an issue and go out and just ride it. Don't over think a situation and don't try riding above your skill level. The feelings of terror will pass once you get some experience on it.
            If it aint broke fix it till it is

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
              Get yourself into a MSF class ASAP! Take the time to get comfortable with handling the bike before you try traffic again. Then when you go back out there you can focus on what the road and the vehicles around you are doing instead of having to split your attention between them and the bike. You don't need to be another statistic.
              +1
              sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
              ------------------------------------------
              89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
              96 YZF 1000R

Comment

honestly i cant understand why you would be nervous, but then i was literally raised on a harley. if it scares you that much you need to make a decision to either give it up or take a learners course (msf i think is the american term?) i would go with the course first tho, it usually in a controlled parking lot and they teach you ALOT of things in regards to safety maneuvers, balancing, braking, and lots of other things. but they start you off really slow and gradually build your confidence and skill level. and no its not soposed to be "scary as ****", when you first start off yes a little bit scary, just start off slow. sit on the bike for a while till you feel confortable, and take a course
                Last edited by boomer_95; 04-06-2012, 09:42 PM.
                if all else fails......... Get a hammer

parting out my 89 Kat 750

Comment

you should be comfortably aware of your surrounding. That being said, the other day I was in heavy traffic surrounded by grannies in large SUVs and I felt like I was in the kill zone.

Ideally you should feel like the bike is a part of you, it is just an extension of your arms and legs.

A riders course might be a great investment in yourself.
                  2004 Honda ST1300
                  1999 Katana 750 (sold)

Comment

I wasn't all that scared when i first started riding.... a little nervous yes, scared not so much. I took the MSF course and I can honestly say it saved my life. Some things in motorcycling are not intuitive and some of those thing you do not want to learn the hard way. Take the MSF course it will save your life.
                    Last edited by il_ragazzo; 04-07-2012, 03:03 AM.
                    Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                    Tony
                    94 Katana 600

Comment

As the others have already stated, taking the MSF course will go a long way in teaching you to ride properly. Are you sure the shaking wasn't really an adrenaline fueled rush coupled with the excitement of taking your first ride? I remember my first ride many years ago, and having that euphoric rush just envelop me and imbed the desire to ride any chance I could. Take your time, gain some experience and knowledge, and most of all, have fun and be safe!
                      2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
                      2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Agreed great advise...
                        Last edited by astevens54; 04-07-2012, 07:34 AM.
                        2014 Ducati Monster 1200
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/austin-stevens/

Comment

I honestly can't say I've ever felt terrified while riding my motorcycles.

Perhaps a cage is a better form of transportation for you. There is no shame in admitting that to yourself. I would hate to push anyone onto a bike that was uncomfortable riding... What's the point?
                          2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
                          2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
                          1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
                          1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
                          1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

+1 to taking msf, the first time I ever even got on a bike was at the course. But after two days I was pretty comfortable on one. Those 250s are fun

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowFetus View Post
                              +1 to taking msf, the first time I ever even got on a bike was at the course. But after two days I was pretty comfortable on one. Those 250s are fun
                              +1 for fun.. my course used all cbr125's there heavier than you would think a 125 would be and lots of fun. but EXTREMLY confidence inspiring compared to our stupidly heavy kats
                              if all else fails......... Get a hammer

parting out my 89 Kat 750

Comment

Working...
                              X