No announcement yet.
X

Proper Shifting

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do y'all mean by "blip" the throttle on downshift?

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowFetus View Post
      What do y'all mean by "blip" the throttle on downshift?
      Pull in the clutch lever...pull down the throttle to rev the engine ..... at the same time you're shifting into a lower gear....... all at once. I hope that makes sense.
      sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
      ------------------------------------------
      89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
      96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
        Pull in the clutch lever...pull down the throttle to rev the engine ..... at the same time you're shifting into a lower gear....... all at once. I hope that makes sense.
        I believe I understand lol, prolly better to try it first hand to really understand. And the point to doing this is so it's easier on my clutch therefore giving it a longer life? Never done or heard of this so just curious lol.

Comment

Seriously....... just do it...and practise it ...you'll know what I mean. I truly can't explain it any other way.
          89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
          96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi3432 View Post
            so you are saying to use the clutch always going form 1st to 2nd? lately, i have been just shifting up on all my gears without the clutch by just releasing my accelerator slightly. basically, i put pressure on the shifter for up gear, then release slight pressure on the gas, and it goes into place. i shift around 3.5k rpm and it has been going smooth. do u see this as a problem? i know this method is better at higher rpms but still safe to do at lower ranges? it even seems smoother for me to do this than to use the clutch.

as for down shifts, i dont blip the throttle(which i will start doing more to get into the habit). i just let the clutch out slow so it catches the engine. will this wear down my clutch to fast?
            You're riding on the street, not using the clutch isn't benefiting you one bit.

Not saying I don't do it every once in a while, but doing it 1-2 is stupid unless you're racing.

As for dragging the clutch on a downshift, well that's an easy way to pick out a noob rider. Stop doing that, rev match your downshifts.
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
              Seriously....... just do it...and practise it ...you'll know what I mean. I truly can't explain it any other way.
              Will do

Comment

i lillte bit of video on the katana :P
                FahrvergMotoNügen

[ame="http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/aa215/Powerofcheeze/?action=view&current=zyclone.mp4"]zyclone.mp4 video by Powerofcheeze - Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid203.ph otobucket.com%2Falbums%2Faa215%2FPowerofcheeze%2Fz yclone.mp4@@AMEPARAM@@file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid203.pho tobucket.com%2Falbums%2Faa215%2FPowerofcheeze%2Fzy clone.mp4[/ame]
                Last edited by Malloc; 04-05-2012, 11:07 AM.
                sigpic

Comment

^ Exactly
                  89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                  96 YZF 1000R

Comment

What kind of footgear are you wearing? Does the lever have any play? Blipping does help a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Malloc View Post
                      i lillte bit of video on the katana :P
                      FahrvergMotoNügen

zyclone.mp4 video by Powerofcheeze - Photobucket
                      There is something wrong with that video.. There is no way the sound and video is synced.. Sounds like it is reving down while the tach is going up and visa versa at times...

Comment

Originally posted by numus View Post
                        There is something wrong with that video.. There is no way the sound and video is synced.. Sounds like it is reving down while the tach is going up and visa versa at times...

nope not a thing wrong sometimes i am downshifting
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by numus View Post
                          You're right.

Originally posted by Malloc View Post
                          nope not a thing wrong sometimes i am downshifting
                          No, that audio/video is about 1-2 seconds out of sync.

Comment

Working...
                          X