never!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
    Don't worry, you'll grow up eventually.

Oh, and your worry about parts? I can still get parts for my '66 Mustang at Autozone. If something's popular enough (like the Kat) then parts tend to remain available for a good long time.
    I don't wanna grow up, that's why I still play with motorcycles!

A '66 Mustang is a bonafide classic vehicle. The Kat is already limited in the amount of accessories available, which is actually a good thing for me since it prevents me from spending too much money on the thing.

Don't get me wrong, of the 19 bikes I've owned, it's definitely in the top 3 of my favorites.

Comment

But what made the '66 Mustang a "bonafide classic vehicle"? It was an underpowered, inexpensively built car with limited options, meant for a budget-conscious market. A lot of people liked it, a lot of people bought it and now there's a lot of them still around and a few in great condition. Kinda like the Kat, huh...
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Im keeping the kat for some years too. I must say that its tempting to get a VFR. but im not a big trader when it comes to vehicles. I still got my 94 model mazda 323 that I got when I was 18. next year im bying a big cake and having a 10 year celebration if I keep the ****ty car for so long why not the great bike.
        2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

But what made the '66 Mustang a "bonafide classic vehicle"? It was an underpowered, inexpensively built car with limited options, meant for a budget-conscious market. A lot of people liked it, a lot of people bought it and now there's a lot of them still around and a few in great condition. Kinda like the Kat, huh...
          I don't think I put the Kat in the same category as a Mustang(maybe someday I will?) but this is an outstanding argument... Makes you look at things a little different...

The Kat is a great bike... You can beef it up for twisties and comfortably take it across the country(without change if done right). I will be getting a modern pure sport bike soon but the Kat is worth more to me than I can sell it for. Some things aren't worth enough money to sell. When I get a new bike the Kat will be reserved for long rides and rainy rides, It'll be a bit of a workhorse but I will be doing what the bike was built to do, ride.
          95 GSX600F -- GO DUCKS -- 06 R6
          Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing -Helen Keller
          ---
          I often post mobile; Keep that in mind when I write like a 5th grader

Comment

Well I gave mine up over the summer. My oldest son is very interested in fishing, so I gave up the Kat to get a boat so he and I can go fishing. I'm looking for a replacement though, I will be back on two wheels sooner or later
            Sex Panther cologne -- 60% of the time, it works every time

Comment

Apples to oranges.

Mustang was the first of it's type. A small 'sporty' affordable, practical four-seater American car which caught the imagination of a country in the heady days of the 60's.

The Katana is a budget sport-tourer built using GSXR technology once it became obsolete for the sportbike market. Which is not a bad thing.

Ask 10 people if they are familiar with Ford Mustangs- I'll be they all say yes. Ask those same 10 if they know of the Suzuki Katana & you'll get whole different answer.
              Last edited by kruzuki; 12-09-2010, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by niqbales View Post
                You can always add rather than replace...
                I love my Kat but I do want something a little more ridiculous... I'm gettin an r6 towards the end of January but my wife knows you don't mess with the Kat.

Also, this seems like a weird place to start such a thread.... no?

Agree with you, I would add as well, when im ready...
                2002 Suzuki GSX-750F
                2007 Subaru Impreza
                2010 Nissan Altima 2.5S

Comment

Originally posted by kruzuki View Post
                  Apples to oranges.

Ask 10 people if they are familiar with Ford Mustangs- I'll be they all say yes. Ask those same 10 if they know of the Suzuki Katana & you'll get whole different answer.
                  I don't think the Kat is the same level as the Mustang but if you ask 10 people about any bike model your gonna get a weak response. Ask them about a rc30(which is to me a VERY iconic sport bike) and they wont have a clue. "Apples and oranges" you can't give them the same scale for being a "classic".
                  95 GSX600F -- GO DUCKS -- 06 R6
                  Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing -Helen Keller
                  ---
                  I often post mobile; Keep that in mind when I write like a 5th grader

Comment

My point was not that the Kat will necessarily become a classic although I think it will. My point was that today's econo machine may become tomorrow's classic. Only time can tell. If you have something that works well for you then why replace it? My Mustang was purchased by my grandfather back in 1970. At that point it was a 4 year-old grocery-getter. Today, it's a classic car worth almost 10x the original purchase price. My first car was a 1973 beetle. It was an old car that I got for a reasonable price. Today, that same car sells for up to about $8,000. You never know.
                    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Not everything will be a "classic"

Chrysler K series. Kawasaki LTD454.

Junk then, Junk now.

Katana, ZZR and the Chevrolet Caviler.

Used old technology to begin with, not highly coveted today. Could go either way.

Honda Cub and the VW Beetle

Both iconic creations that changed the face of the transportation industry as we know it.
                      Last edited by 1FSTKAT; 12-13-2010, 12:10 AM.
                      "We are not all beautiful unique flowers. Some of us have bad ideas and bad taste and the things we do come out awful, no matter how much work we put in."

Comment

I too will probably end up keeping the Kat and just adding another bike to my stable. Considering the prices most Kats are selling for it doesn't even seem worth it to sell unless you're really hurting for cash. It will become my long trip bike as its really comfy and has great ergonomics for me.
                        Originally posted by chrisgreer23
                        Looks like Crash has lived up to his name.
                        2000 Kat 600 Totaled, Parting out WHAT DO YOU NEED
                        1983 Suzuki GR650- Sold
                        2006 Suzuki SV1000S- Gone but never forgotten
                        1967 Pontiac Firebird Convertible-The other project 350/4 spd and some stuff

Comment

Originally posted by kruzuki View Post
                          Apples to oranges.

Mustang was the first of it's type. A small 'sporty' affordable, practical four-seater American car which caught the imagination of a country in the heady days of the 60's.

The Katana is a budget sport-tourer built using GSXR technology once it became obsolete for the sportbike market. Which is not a bad thing.

Of course everyone is familiar with the Ford Mustang. But that is because everyone drives cars. Its a much smaller percentage of people who ride and have any interest in motorcycles. However, every time I've had a fellow motorcyclist ask me what I ride, they always say something to the affect of "oh, nice!" or "wow, those are great bikes!". I don't recall ever hearing any motorcyclist say they aren't at least familiar with and like Katanas.

Comment

Originally posted by Jcates888 View Post
                            Of course everyone is familiar with the Ford Mustang. But that is because everyone drives cars. Its a much smaller percentage of people who ride and have any interest in motorcycles. However, every time I've had a fellow motorcyclist ask me what I ride, they always say something to the affect of "oh, nice!" or "wow, those are great bikes!". I don't recall ever hearing any motorcyclist say they aren't at least familiar with and like Katanas.
                            you need to get out more......:bunny2
                            never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Originally posted by Jcates888 View Post
                              True facts. Nearly Every time I mention what I have, someone chimes in with "Oh, a Katana? I used to have one of those! Great little bike!"
                              Black & Blue - Kludge Fixed Katana - 1990 Katana GSX-600F [out of service - engine swap started 9/8/12; ETA 9/30/12]
                              Beaten and bruised, clawing its way back from the dead for the 3rd time. 2-up tourer
                              2001 Buell Blast 515cc, V&H Exh, Buell Pro-Series Intake, Stage IV Jetting, Raptor II Streetfighter Front Headlight/Fairing Assembly, Dual HIDs -- "The Misfit"

Comment

Most people i have come across know the katana if it good or bad most people that ride know the bike.

"Sex with out love is really just exercise.So grab a friend and let's all workout!!"

Freebird01 " ok so kid cuts school and jumps in the Schuylkill river and dies....darwin at work?"
                                >JayBell " Express lane Darwin, no lines, no waiting, instant gene pool deletion

Comment

Working...
                                X