X

Carbs need to be cleaned??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbs need to be cleaned??

Hey guys, it's been a long time since I posted, but i've been back to scanning the forums a lot over the last few days. My 99 Katana 750 just now hit the 10k mark. . .over the last part of the riding season last year, and the beginning of the season this year my bike seems to not be running as well as before. Its strictly in first gear, and while idling. It doesn't die, or stop, but it idles strangely. . .almost like it is missing, however all cylinders are hot, and as soon as i'm off above five mph or so, it runs fine. I find that I have to give a lot more gas to get going from a dead stop in first gear, and it "sputters" a little until about 2500 or 3k rpms in first gear. Like I said, once i'm out of first, everything seems fine, runs great, still no prob hitting 130mph. I've sea-foamed a few times, and it does work, and even clears out the "miss" that i'm hearing when its idling, but I feel like there is a greater problem? do you think my carbs just need a good cleaning? anything anyone can post in regards to this would be greatly appreciated!!! thanks in advance!!!

Sounds like junk in the idle circuit. Time to clean.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

So the idle circuit needs to be checked, i'll start there. . .but let me ask you this, and don't razz me too bad guys, as i said i just turned the 10k mark, as far as i'm aware, the bike is still running on the original air and fuel filters, you think this could be adding to my problem too? Other then that i've always tried to maintain everything myself, and have had the bike apart a few times, but i'm afraid to touch the carbs. . .never have, and am nervous, and hoping to find answers to the problem without tearing the carbs up. Thanks. . .

Comment

It won't hurt to replace the air filter.... but at 10k miles and almost 10 years old... the carbs are probably just dirty.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Sputtering can also be from carbs out of synch and from valves. When was the last time the valves were adjusted? 7,500 is the first valve adjustment recommendation. What about a carb synch? Just curious if that was done. Might try running a little techron or Seafoam thru the gas.
          If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
          Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Anyone else have any other ideas? or are the answers I received pretty much it!!!???

Comment

Working...
            X