X

Using Electrolysis to clean rusty parts/tanks

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Xrayron View Post
    I noticed nowhere in this thread that this process creates... Hydrogen/Oxygen and sometimes Chlorine gas!! lol.

In small amounts but in a confined area over night it can be filled with a lot both hydrogen and oxygen.

Also if this process is taking FOREVER... you have to understand 1 of the basic rules of electrolysis.

the mass of substance deposited at the electrodes is directly proportional to their equivalent weights.

So your best bet for removing rust faster is by using a larger iron electrode not by increasing the load to the electrode.

Also your old used electrolyzed water can now be used as a cleaner/disinfectant and works pretty damn good that's basically what Oxiclean is.

didn't see http://katriders.com/vb/showpost.php...6&postcount=18?

Chlorine gas would only be created if you used a salt water. Yeah, don't do that.

Don't use Stainless steel for the anode either, because that will create a highly toxic solution in the water as well. One that will make you neighbor hood a major EPA disaster site. Don't do that either!

Plain water, iron rod, sodium bicarbonate. That's all you need, and it should only be run about 1 day. After that, flush the tank, and use a high pressure spray to remove any residuals hanging on. You will find the tank is fully clean after just 24 hours with the proper rinse.

FYI... this thread was a discussion for folks who were already reading up on and using alternate sources of information about what and how electrolysis works. And with all additional information those warnings would already have been expected to have been covered. Here we were discussing how it worked in application specific scenarios of a Katana gas tank, and with/with out tank coatings applied. In other words... Much more reading / research is needed before attempting any part of this process.

Krey
    Last edited by Kreylyn; 03-19-2014, 04:18 PM.
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Um.. I'm no expert but I have used electrolysis to de rust a tank. It is not a fast process. It took days. Then when the rust was gone, there were parts of the tank that had black residue left on it. Which to my understanding is equivalent to basically rust after a change in chemical composition which means it wont act like rust but there is still matter there that needs to be cleaned off. As for being rust resistant, that is false to my understanding as well. Your tank can flash rust after electrolysis. As a matter or fact, the tank I did it to had a layer of rust all the way around the inside after 24 hours (yes i made sure to dry the inside before letting it sit). If you really want to eliminate rust you NEED to clean the black deposits and coat the tank.
      Last edited by maniac1886; 09-17-2014, 11:10 AM.
      My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
      2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Don't know why my hosting site is down, but the pics should be back soon.

As for the rust... I recommend now to do only 24 hours of the electrolysis, then use a pressure wash to blast any residue off the tank walls. Inspect.

You should see no rust.
        You should see no crap left.
        You should see a darker gray surface (not shiney steel looking).

I use acetone to flush all water out immediately to prevent flash rust.

yes, it will rust.

Then I suggest an oil temp coating to make an air vapor barrier or a permanent long term coating like por-15.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
          Don't know why my hosting site is down, but the pics should be back soon.

As for the rust... I recommend now to do only 24 hours of the electrolysis, then use a pressure wash to blast any residue off the tank walls. Inspect.

You should see no rust.
          You should see no crap left.
          You should see a darker gray surface (not shiney steel looking).

I use acetone to flush all water out immediately to prevent flash rust.

yes, it will rust.

Then I suggest an oil temp coating to make an air vapor barrier or a permanent long term coating like por-15.

Krey
          I've heard nothing but bad reviews about tank coatings on other sites. Is POR15 a proven long term tank coating?
          Last edited by Hoko; 09-18-2014, 12:45 AM. Reason: add word
          88 GSX600F Katana

Comment

Originally posted by Hoko View Post
            I've heard nothing but bad reviews about tank coatings on other sites. Is POR15 a proven long term tank coating?

Kreem sucks!

Por-15 rocks! I've used it, it works well, and it's permanent.

It doesn't just coat, it bonds to the metal surface and prevents rust from forming in the future.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
            X