X

Starter Relay?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter Relay?

So I go out to start my Kat and it cranks for a split second if that, and then nothing. I push the start switch and nothing, I jumped the starter relay and started the bike. Is there a way that I can test the starter relay to see if it is fried? I checked and cleaned all connections and the battery is good.............

Originally posted by Impulse2k1 View Post
    So I go out to start my Kat and it cranks for a split second if that, and then nothing. I push the start switch and nothing, I jumped the starter relay and started the bike. Is there a way that I can test the starter relay to see if it is fried? I checked and cleaned all connections and the battery is good.............
    Check the sidestand switch for sticking or shorting...

Comment

Clutch safety switch needs a cleaning?

Comment

I would go with connections and switches, however in the manual is a test with a meter for the relay. The manual is a sticky at the start of the 1100 forum.

Good Luck
        1988 Katana 1100 (sold)
        2004 Hayabusa

Comment

I also check the voltage across the 2 wires that trigger the relay the clutch safety switch and the ground. When I hit the starter switch and I see that there is 12 volts going across the two wires. I'll check into the side stand switch, but I thought that it doesn't matter if the side stand is down as long as it isn't in gear?

Comment

I also check the voltage across the 2 wires that trigger the relay the clutch safety switch and the ground. When I hit the starter switch and I see that there is 12 volts going across the two wires. I'll check into the side stand switch, but I thought that it doesn't matter if the side stand is down as long as it isn't in gear?
            good point, It's late here

Comment

As I mentioned above the clutch safety switch is a common "no start" problem on these bikes. Take it apart and clean it. I had intermittant start problems with my bike. This 10 minute fix has corrected the problem 100%. If if it turns out not to be the problem it's only a 10 minute exercise and you can then rule it out. See info below.

Comment

My clutch safety switch is bypassed so it is not that, thats why I am leaning towards the relay...........

Comment

start wiggling wires

when you have it running have the left side cover off and start wiggling the wires from the battery towards the front of the bike behind the left side cover, if the bike dies you have a bad connection problem.

This happen to mine
                  1988 Katana 1100 (sold)
                  2004 Hayabusa

Comment

I'm thinking that I might try using a ford style starter relay (that I already have) to see if it really is the relay or a faulty connection..........

Comment

Working...
                    X