X

Need help on tire size.....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help on tire size.....

I just bought a 93 katana, and need to replace the front and rear tires. I found a great price on Michelin pilot tires, but not sure about the size. They are 120/60/17 front and 160/60/17 rear. Will this fit my 93 kat??

Originally posted by bcrowne View Post
    I just bought a 93 katana, and need to replace the front and rear tires. I found a great price on Michelin pilot tires, but not sure about the size. They are 120/60/17 front and 160/60/17 rear. Will this fit my 93 kat??
    The 160 wont work on your stock rear rim. Stock size tire or your kat are 120/70/17 front and 140/70/17 rear.. You can go up to a 150/70/17 on the rear with your rim though. Although the Pilots are good tires, try looking at the Conti Road Attacks. These can be had for a reasonable price and they work very well on the Kat...

Tire info http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/moto.../mc_tires.html

Theres also a size chart but i can't seem to find it.Try poking around for other good info...

Comment

Hi,

I also got a '93 Kat and also looking for tires. Funny. Anyway, I found a set of:

Bridgestone Battlax BT-45 (V-Rated)

Front: 110/80 - 17 Front = $94.95
      Rear: 150/70 - 17 Rear = $114.95

http://www.ridedirect.com/showProduct.php?id=325
      __________________________________________________ ____________________________

Your OFFICIAL tire size is:

Front: 110/80/17 V250 17xMT 3.00
      Rear: 150/70/17 V250 17xMT 3.50

These are the measurements that I took last night from my chassis sticker. Tires need to be V–Rated. Again I have a 1993 Katana 750.

Comment

Originally posted by Breeze View Post
        The 160 wont work on your stock rear rim. Stock size tire or your kat are 120/70/17 front and 140/70/17 rear.. You can go up to a 150/70/17 on the rear with your rim though. Although the Pilots are good tires, try looking at the Conti Road Attacks. These can be had for a reasonable price and they work very well on the Kat...
        I have these, and have been very pleased with their performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Konn750 View Post
          Hi,

I also got a '93 Kat and also looking for tires. Funny. Anyway, I found a set of:

Bridgestone Battlax BT-45 (V-Rated)

Front: 110/80 - 17 Front = $94.95
          Rear: 150/70 - 17 Rear = $114.95

http://www.ridedirect.com/showProduct.php?id=325
          __________________________________________________ ____________________________

Your OFFICIAL tire size is:

Front: 110/80/17 V250 17xMT 3.00
          Rear: 150/70/17 V250 17xMT 3.50

These are the measurements that I took last night from my chassis sticker. Tires need to be V–Rated. Again I have a 1993 Katana 750.
          There are much better tires in that same price range. They're also bias ply tires, yuck. I had a worn down BT-45 rear and it was awful.
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

hey....thanks so much for the info guys!!

Comment

On a side note I sell the conti road attacks. Also I run a 160/60/17 on a pre98 3.5 inch rim. Why do I do this. Everyone says it does not work. However there are certain brands that allow it to work. Bridgstone 160/60 tires is not one of them. Michelin, Metzlers, Pirelli, all work. I am going to put contis on my bike and give that 160/60 a try.
              www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Originally posted by HS2020 View Post
                On a side note I sell the conti road attacks. Also I run a 160/60/17 on a pre98 3.5 inch rim. Why do I do this. Everyone says it does not work. However there are certain brands that allow it to work. Bridgstone 160/60 tires is not one of them. Michelin, Metzlers, Pirelli, all work. I am going to put contis on my bike and give that 160/60 a try.
                I agree HS2020! I had a Dunlop qualifier 160/60 on my pre rim. It works...but you can never fully use the outside edges (chicken strips), thats the best part of a sport radial. I have recently bought post rims to lay the tire out a little more. Check this out:

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

The pics of the rear is a dunlop qualifier 160/60 on a pre (3.5") rim.
                The tire is a little sqeezed. But it is there and works great even if you can't do the post rim swap.
                Scuffin' the pucks!

Comment

I too run Dunlop Qualifier tires front and rear. 120/60/17 in front and 160/60 in the rear. I agree with the "chicken strip". I did not know that I didn't really need to run this size tire. However, this is the size that came on the bike whaen I bought it and before I found this forum. I like the feel of it now and I am used to it.

Comment

Working...
                  X