No announcement yet.
X

Cruise Control

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update for anyone still thinking about this. I got an email from squiggy. He was using the vacuum model from AudioVox (he fried something and it doesn't work now but he's going to try again later).

There is another, electronic model from Rostra that is $195.

I found the AudioVox for $90. That includes the magnets for speed sensor (I can't think of how to connect to the speed sensor on the 98+. Requires info like pulses per minute and a few other things). The AudioVox kit includes the dash mount controller as well. Only other thing you would need is a vacuum canister. Squiggy built one out of PVC but you can also buy one for about $15.

If my bonus pans out this week (although other maintenance items really need to come first), I may pick it up and give it a whirl. If I do, I'll post up a write-up.
    Last edited by brooder; 06-10-2008, 09:05 AM.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
    -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
    -Terence

Comment

On the 98+, you should be able to take a speed sense as pulses off the speed sensor leads coming out by the front sprocket. I tapped this previously (on my stolen Kat) to get a sense for the Pro-Oiler I had. Pre-98's need a magnetic mod in the brake rotor to get a speed sense for the cruise controls.

Looking at the installation guide for the Rostra, the Global Cruise has a very large selection of pulse-per-mile settings as well as a setting for four-cylinder, extra-high-RPM engines (which I would guess is appropriate for the Kat). But the only controllers for the Rostra I can find are all blinker-stalk style controllers (they make some mention of RF-based controllers as well, which could save quite a bit of wiring I would imagine... but no pics)
      I've sent Rostra an email to see about the answers & becoming a distributor.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I dug for a while this morning.

It's under the suggested parts for the main unit at Summit Racing: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
        Last edited by brooder; 06-10-2008, 11:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        -Unknown Author

-Terence

Comment

Cool!

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Redneck Cruise Control

Follow the link below. It shows the redneck cruise control. It works I tried it this morning on the way to work. Less than $5, the CAT ring. It might vibrate loose a little after a while, but it is good to hold for a while to flex the throttle hand. I will post pics of my install soon.

Don't know if this is on a thread somewhere but here goes. Your local caterpillar dealer has an O-ring part #8M4991 that can be slipped on the bar end weight on the throttle side and rolled up against the outside edge of the throttle grip. Instant redneck cruise control. Roll it back down to...
            1994 Suzuki GSX600F Katana
            Bone stock
            Looking to mod, Any ideas?

Comment

The o-ring is a good idea, but won't maintain speed going up or coming down a hill.
              -Unknown Author

-Terence

Comment

I've had the throttle-locking versions in the past (virtually every brand/make on various bikes) and I really want the electronic one this time around instead. I want speed-lock control, not throttle-lock control.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

yep, thats the downside to the o-ring and all throttle locks. But as stated, it works great to just be able to relieve tension off your throttle hand for a few minutes as long as you're on level road. Also, you dont have to pay $5 for them. I went into a hydraulics repair shop down from my house and found the o-ring that worked and was charged $1 for 2 of them.
                  sigpicIn Memory Of Troy Allen Bell
                  RIP 06/24/53 - 01/08/08
                  I Miss You Pop
                  2006 GSX1300R Hayabusa
                  BMC aif filter,Lowered,Small air box mod,Bar riserers

Comment

Payed $5 for two CAT o-rings, one yellow and one black(payed for the name). They work to relieve the hand for a minute or two. I had enough problems finding the CAT place let alone a hydraulics repair shop, but now I am on the look out for one. Thanks

Originally posted by Liltroy View Post
                    yep, thats the downside to the o-ring and all throttle locks. But as stated, it works great to just be able to relieve tension off your throttle hand for a few minutes as long as you're on level road. Also, you dont have to pay $5 for them. I went into a hydraulics repair shop down from my house and found the o-ring that worked and was charged $1 for 2 of them.
                    1994 Suzuki GSX600F Katana
                    Bone stock
                    Looking to mod, Any ideas?

Comment

If people are paying $5 for them from CAT, then i may just go buy about 40 of them and sell em for $1 shipped or something and make some cash,lol. That hydraulic place is 2 miles from my house and has several boxes of the size that I bought.....they're all black so they kinda blend into the barend and people dont even know that they're there if they're not looking. I only ended up with 2 because the guy was like "just gimme 50 cents for it" I all I had was a dollar bill so he was like" I dont have any change....you just want 2 of em?" lol.
                      RIP 06/24/53 - 01/08/08
                      I Miss You Pop
                      2006 GSX1300R Hayabusa

Comment

well anything with the cat name on it will be $$$. the size of the oring is all that matters.. but then again you get a cat part on a kat

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Originally posted by BarMatt80 View Post
                          but then again you get a cat part on a kat
                          lol, good point
                          RIP 06/24/53 - 01/08/08
                          I Miss You Pop
                          2006 GSX1300R Hayabusa

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                            I've sent Rostra an email to see about the answers & becoming a distributor.

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Did you ever get a reply on this, CP?
                            -Unknown Author

-Terence

Comment

Unfortunately, not. Remind me to call them after the rally... maybe I'll have better luck over the phone.

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Glad I ran across this I've been meaning to pick one up. Gonna call Porzio now.
                                Jesus, family, me. Psalm 121 Red Pill Mille Clip ATGATT
                                '01 Aprilia RST 1000 Futura
                                '08 Aprilia RSV Factory
                                '11 Kawasaki KLR650
                                I bought my first Kat in 1991, brand new, a red 600. No pics though.

Comment

Working...
                                X