X

Learning and troubleshooting '90 750 fuel delivery problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning and troubleshooting '90 750 fuel delivery problem

Sorry if any of these problems have already been covered here.

Here's what's happening...

Problem 1:
    Bought the bike "semi" running. The PO let the bike sit for a year without starting, but he was able to get it fired up on PRI but it wouldnt stay running unless the throttle is feathered.

Suspected Cause:
    PO didnt have vacuum going to petcock so the carbs were not getting steady fuel.

Corrective Action:
    Connected vacuum line from #4 vacuum fitting to petcock.

Results:
    Was able to get the bike to run without having to feather the throttle. Ran engine long enough to warm up exhaust pipe at head.

Problem #2:
    Cylinder #3 is cold.

Suspected Cause:
    Sync fitting is broken off the Diaphragm Cap on #3 causing fuel delivery problem to cylinder.

Corrective Action:
    Ordered Diaphragm Cap

Result:
    N/A

Problem #3:
    Carb #2 appears to leak from bowl drain or lower carb area.

Suspected Cause:
    No clue... carbs need to be rebuilt? Defective drain screw? Any suggestion for what else could leak near the bottom of a carb would be great.

Am I on the right course? My goal is to get all 4 cylinders running well enough to keep an idle before I focus on driveability.

Thanks,
    Will

I believe your on the right track. If the bike has been sitting for a long time, then yes, a carb clean/rebuild is a good idea.

Comment

Sounds like you got the first couple issues under control . Kudos . As to the suspected leak , I'd clean the are well first , then prime it and see . A paper towel will help you see where it's leaking . They'll let you know the INSTANT they get wet .
      COuld be a bowl gasket on the outs , or something as simple as a bowl screw or drain not tight enough . In any case , all of these are easy enough to fix .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I decided since #3 was dead until I got a new Diaphragm cap in, I would take it apart to gauge what condition the carbs may be in. Here's what I found.
        • Float o-ring torn
        • Jet clogged
        • Emulsion tube clogged
        I think it may be safe to just do a rebuild on the carbs.

BTW, I took pics of the entire tear down in case anyone needed pics on carb rebuilds.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by wcj; 12-28-2007, 11:37 PM.

Comment

nice pictures dude. And you seem to know what your doing, or you're at least not afraid to figure it out, awesome dude

Comment

Thanks. Those pics are actually 20% the size of the originals. Ive never been afraid to take stuff apart. This is what I did to my vette 2 weeks after I bought it. Though the larger parts of a car makes me much less paranoid.
            Last edited by wcj; 12-22-2007, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic1016 View Post
              nice pictures dude. And you seem to know what your doing, or you're at least not afraid to figure it out, awesome dude
              +1

Great to see your learning the best way, by doing it!
              It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

Originally posted by wcj View Post
                Thanks. Those pics are actually 20% the size of the originals. Ive never been afraid to take stuff apart. This is what I did to my vette 2 weeks after I bought it. Though the larger parts of a car makes me much less paranoid.
                well, taking stuff apart isn't hard, it's putting it back together that will get you

Comment

I disassembled all of the carbs today and found the following.
                  • Mixture screws were all 4-5 turns out from bottom (wth)
                  • Pilot plugs on 1,2,4 were all loose
                  • Pilot plug for #2 was causing the floats to be stuck since it had actually fallen out and was wedged in the floats (could this be why #2 was leaking?)
                  • Seals for the 2 fuel "T"s were both cracked or splitting
                  I've pulled #1 and #4 off the rail and left 2 & 3 still connected. This way I have less reassembly when all the seals get here.

Question:
                  Should I lube the new seals and o-rings with some motor oil when I reassemble everything?

Comment

I disassembled all of the carbs today and found the following.
                    • Mixture screws were all 4-5 turns out from bottom (wth)
                    • Pilot plugs on 1,2,4 were all loose
                    • Pilot plug for #2 was causing the floats to be stuck since it had actually fallen out and was wedged in the floats (could this be why #2 was leaking?)
                    • Seals for the 2 fuel "T"s were both cracked or splitting
                    I've pulled #1 and #4 off the rail and left 2 & 3 still connected. This way I have less reassembly when all the seals get here.

Question:
                    Should I lube the new seals and o-rings with some motor oil when I reassemble everything?
                    answer for number 2 cylinder most likely and the t seals being bad would cause the leak also
                    I have two gears to beat you with and four you will never see!"

don't knock masturbation its sex with someone i love

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Comment

Question:
                      Nah , just swipe your finger across your nose or forehead to get some of the grease on your fingertips and rub the new rubber bits . Helps just enough to get them to seat , but not so much they'll slide back out .
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Got the carb put back on today and it's alive!

I initially had the carb butterflies set wrong so idle was 5k, but I was able to quickly remedy that.

Also, I made a temp fuel tank for $8 by using a coolant recovery kit I found at Autozone. Works like a charm and holds 1.5qt of fuel.

Sounds like it may need the valves adjusted so Im considering doing that now that I know the bike runs.

Comment

I have a coolant recover tank that I made an aux fuel tank out of, is it made by Summit Racing?
                          Last edited by arsenic; 01-10-2008, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Nah, it's just cheapy Autozone kit.

It has 3 nipples so it worked perfect for the Pre fuel system. 2 were used for fuel delivery and the 3rd acted as a vent.

Comment

I used one of these:

Comment

Working...
                              X