X

SKULL FACE & BRAIN BUCKET FLESH GEAR PIT JACKET

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CANATUNA
    I didnt have all of this to start though. Most people dont. You cant criticize everyone that is a little less fortunate than yourself. Not just you...people in general.
    I don't think the idea is to criticize people who can't afford to buy free range kangaroo hide gloves hand stitched by well endowed virgin Australian women..

The idea is don't brag about wearing a cloth (not even arimide) jacket and gloves designed for protecting our hands from owies you might get handling a wrench or screwdriver.
    I don't care if you own more gear than the entire moto GP starting grid. Post about how instead you choose to wear sidewalk gear on your sportbike and your gonna get criticized..

Comment

The entire point of my reply was to just show that not everyone has the money at first to get everything they need to properly protect themselves.
      I'm sorry, but that's just BS. Tell me people are ignorant of what they should wear...I'll buy that. Tell me that some people just choose not to wear gear...I'll buy that. Don't tell me it's financial. If a person has the money for a bike, they've got enough money for gear. If that person doesn't have the money for both the bike they want and the gear they need, then they should buy the gear and save for the bike or choose a another bike that they can afford. Lack of money isn't a reason, it's an excuse and attempt hide their own poor judgment and sense of priorities.
      I like you. When the world is mine your death will be quick and painless.

Comment

Originally posted by Wingspan
        The entire point of my reply was to just show that not everyone has the money at first to get everything they need to properly protect themselves.
        I'm sorry, but that's just BS. Tell me people are ignorant of what they should wear...I'll buy that. Tell me that some people just choose not to wear gear...I'll buy that. Don't tell me it's financial. If a person has the money for a bike, they've got enough money for gear.
        I agree, while Wingspan is more, ummm, strict? about gear than I am, a leather glove that will offer more protection than mechanix glove for the same price ($20?) A mesh jacket (arimide) with CE armor can be had for $50-$60 the Flesh Gear Pit jacket is $80?? So.... Everyone was criticizing choices here..

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
          I agree, while Wingspan is more, ummm, strict? about gear than I am...Everyone was criticizing choices here..
          I'm really not criticizing choices in my last post, I'm criticizing excuses.

I'm really not all that strict about gear as I ride in jeans the majority of the time. While I may not agree with their choices, I don't have a huge issue with people who simply choose to risk riding without gear. However, I don't have any respect for people who try to mask that choice with made-up excuses. Decent gear isn't expensive, and getting cheaper all the time. Certainly, the basics (helmet, gloves, jacket, boots) costs MUCH less than the average person spends on their first motorcycle.

I bought a helmet, jacket, and gloves before I owned my first bike. At the time I was ignorant about the need for pants and boots, but they came shortly after. As I've already said, I rarely wear my pants but that's simply because I weigh the risks and choose not to. I should wear them all the time, and I fully understand that some may not agree with my choice not to.

Comment

Originally posted by Wingspan
            I agree, while Wingspan is more, ummm, strict? about gear than I am...Everyone was criticizing choices here..
            I'm really not criticizing choices in my last post, I'm criticizing excuses.
            semantics IMO.. An excuse is your reason for making a bad choice..
            I'm really not all that strict about gear as I ride in jeans the majority of the time. .
            Sorry, I must have mistaken you for someone else!!

Comment

If you guys seriously don't think that finances play a part in the gear that a rider chooses....you are dead wrong. It is not an excuse. It is a reason....there is a difference. As I said, I now have all of the gear that I need to have to properly protect myself on the street or the track. It has not always been that way for me and for others.
              When I first started riding...I had a $300 1969 Suzuki T350. I sold my Race Kart to purchase the bike and a helmet along with parts that the bike needed. I will mount a bike while merely wearing a helmet and gloves. I will NOT however mount a bike with dry roted tires and no brakes. I was a 19 year old student. Living on my own with a full time job.(many have done this) Do you think that money was falling from the sky? My parents had no money to support a riding habit. Hell, at the time that I got the bike I had not raced my Kart in two years due to money issues. General race entry for a WKA race is about $20...lol
              Not everyone rides for the same reasons. Some ride for sport, some for show and some ride just to commute. You don't need Kevlar gloves and a full suit to ride to school. Would it be safer....yes. Ideal....maybe. Is it realistic for all to be able to purchase the "Ideal" riding gear? Hell no. If you think that everyone can afford everything they "should have" to be as safe as possible you are too old to remember starting a life on your own....too old to remember going to school. OR maybe a little more financially supported. Good for you guys.... You dont know anything about the people that post on this thread besides the fact that they have or have had an interest in Katanas. Half of them/us dont even hav a Kat anymore.

Regardless, all of these rants and raves don't change the fact that the guy just wanted to show some gear that he is selling/helping to produce. In no way did he promote unsafe riding or tell others that they should buy his products. I wouldn't personally buy the gear, but I wont tell others not to...or tell them that they are wrong for doing so.

--
              Keep right except to pass!
              myspace.com/brianlmullins

Comment

man by your guys standards every body who rides is a squid. to not be on your squid list you need
                1. full face helment W/ snell rating of course
                3. every face sheild so you can change with the light condition sunny. dusk, dawn, and night
                2. leather jacket w/ comp core or GP armor none of that shity eva foam crap
                3. spine protector
                4. leather race pants with knee pucs
                5. full race boots
                6. oh while your at it sell your kat and get a bmw with ABS
                but sell it in 5 years cause the new airbag motorcycles will be in dealers

now your safe to drive around the corner.

but if you fail to use one item on this list your branded a squid.

Comment

Koolcutta:
                  Thanks for summing up all our feelings that we had so much trouble putting into words!! Will you please filter and correct/crystallize every other post containing an opinion? Because your vibrant editorial skills are so needed here.

Comment

Koolcutta:
                    Thanks for summing up all our feelings that we had so much trouble putting into words!! Will you please filter and correct/crystallize every other post containing an opinion? Because your vibrant editorial skills are so needed here.
                    hey glade I could help

Comment

If you think that everyone can afford everything they "should have" to be as safe as possible you are too old to remember starting a life on your own....too old to remember going to school. OR maybe a little more financially supported. Good for you guys.... You dont know anything about the people that post on this thread besides the fact that they have or have had an interest in Katanas. Half of them/us dont even hav a Kat anymore.
                      Sigh...and here it is again. Is it unreasonable to think people should spend what money they do have on the things they "should have" to be safe before they spend the money on the motorcycle? If riding safe was really the first priority, lack of money would bar you from buying the bike and not from buying the gear. The financial argument is based on the idea that you have to buy the bike first and that is where it's flawed.

You don't have to spend a fortune on gear. Great helmets can be had for $130 or less, decent jackets go for less than that on closeouts all the time. There are always killer deals for used gear on Ebay. With a bit of shopping, one can get a very reasonable level of protection for a few hundred bucks. My question is, if you don't have a few hundred bucks for gear...how responsible is it to spend the few hundred bucks you do have on a motorcycle?

People don't ride without gear because they don't have the money. They decide that riding without gear is more important to them than not riding until they can afford it. Call it semantics or whatever else you like, but if that's the case then just say that. Don't offer the excuse that you can't afford it and pretend that you're somehow prevented from being safe by your financial situation. No one is forced to ride, we all choose to.

Comment

246STUNNA, what you are reading here in KR is only out of concern for safety. You will get a lot of that in KR.

If finances are a concern, I feel you there and understand where Canatuna is coming from by saying that. I recommend though that you will get every piece of gear that could save your skin, keep you from being disabled or even killed.

We have lost some KR members so whenever there is a member who is not doing everything to protect themselves, you will hear about it in KR.

Ride safe.
                        "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                        JOHN 16:33

Comment

I agree 100% that people should do everything they can to protect themselves while riding. I am not arguing with anyone regarding that. I am arguing about the "Need, Wants and Should Haves". As I stated before, I have all of the appropriate gear. I haven't always though. If riders choose to, they will get all the gear that they need. I'm not going to tell anyone that they have to though.
                          The only rider that has met up with me to ride has been TAZ. When he came to our meet I was fully suited. I usually am. Other riders in out group do not have all the gear that I feel they should but I am not going to "Tell" them that they "Need" anything other than a helmet and hand protection. I do "Urge" them do get proper gear though. There is a very big difference. Some riders are prevented and some choose not to properly protect themselves.
                          I personally....would buy a bike and ride with just a helmet and gloves before I didn't ride at all. My riding style would obviously ease up a bit but I would still be riding. If anything, for the gas saving capabilities and ease of commute afforded by a motorcycle. That's just me though. Maybe others will sit in their bedroom dressed in their full leathers, helmet and Kevlar gloves making engine noises....I would rather be riding. These are all choices made by each individual rider. Not everyone here rides the same. Not everyone lives in a high traffic area or has the same experience... There are countless variables to consider. That is all I am wanted people to consider.
                          Keep right except to pass!
                          myspace.com/brianlmullins

Comment

There are countless variables to consider. That is all I am wanted people to consider.
                            I agree, I am not only cheap but don't often find myself with the cash for such things as high priced gear. My boots are from 1992 for crying out loud!
                            My point is that you can get gear designed for riding for less money than some of the flash stunta clothing. I bought my gloves for under $30 and they are good gloves. I shopped around for my lid ($160) and my leather jacket is... Hold on.. Here it comes.. 21+ years old, too old for me to remember when I bought it. I have said many times you are better off wearing $20 "service" boots (the nylon combat boots) than sneakers.

However, Wingspan is right on the money saying that you need to add gear into the whole idea of riding. Think of it this way;
                            a good jacket $130(if you look around)
                            Good gloves $30
                            Full face helmet $100 (Motorcyclist mag. did an article validating their safety!)
                            Boots $20 (the ones I mentioned)
                            sub Total $280
                            Bike: $2000 (older Katana)
                            Total $2280
                            Or
                            Gear $280(above)
                            Cheapo GS550 $900
                            Total: $1080
                            Or
                            Skin grafts: $100,000
                            Setting broken foot $5000
                            Lost wages: $4000
                            Etc etc..
                            I would swallow my pride and ride a GS500 with a pink tank over a GSX-R with no gear..

Comment

Guys correct me if I am wrong, but it seems that BP and Wingspan tend to view the motorcycle as a toy or a luxury. Therefore they feel that if you are going to buy this toy you better be able to buy motorcycle specific protective gear along with it. It does not have to be full race leathers with an Arai helmet, but it should be a decent padded/armored jacket, SNELL/DOT helmet etc. Canatuna is looking at it like some guy may be riding a cheap bike to get by until they have the cash to buy better gear. Is this correct?

Personally I view my bike as a toy. I own a bike because I enjoy riding it not because it is a practical means of transportation. With that in mind if I could not afford the gear I can't afford the bike. It is not like I am using my bike to put food on the table.

Comment

Yes I believe what that is the point they are trying to make. Myself I view my bike as a toy also that’s why I bought full gear before I rode but that’s me and I don’t look down on others who ride and don’t have gear. I know people that ride bikes because they can’t afford a car especially with gas at 3.40 a gallon. So to look down at a guy that’s driving a 89 ninja 250 they bought for 500 dollars (just example ) and can’t afford gear I feel is wrong. Everyone hear is so quick to call every one else a squid. While some people are some people are not. Just cause I choose to protect my self to the best I can don’t give me the right to judge someone that protects them self less all you can do is wish that person makes it home. While hoping you make it homes cause no matter how much gear you have on if someone on a cell phone driving a H2 hummer decides to run a light while your going through an intersection. You’re good as gone
                                Remember not having gear doesn’t make you a squid not having gear and driving stupid makes you a squid. Also by your standards every cop you see on a bike is a squid because all they have is boots, open face helmet and gloves. But knowing how to lay a bike down will take you much farther then high siding and hoping you race suit will save you.

Oh and black peter why you get so defensive when someone has a different opinion then you.

Comment

Working...
                                X