X

Raising a bit?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raising a bit?

Would it be advisable to raise the suspension a bit if when i have a passenger seems to ride too low? If so how much of a rise should i get?

Up the preload..

That's the ticket..

Comment

i did, still seems to bottom every now n then

Comment

I put a Bandit 1200 shock in my rear, and it raised it almost 1.5 inches...I used to flat foot, but now tippy toe it.

Comment

Yeah a longer shock will effect handling..
          For better or worse is up to you..
          You could find a stiffer spring too.
          (A bit nasty changing it your self however)

Or a shock the same length but stiffer..

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
            Up the preload..

That's the ticket..
            I agree.

How much did you up the preload to?

Comment

whats your total weight?

Comment

decline to say lol

Comment

if you set your preload higher and are still having probblems it leaves me to belive you have to much weight on the kat

Comment

I'm light . But I put a somewhat heavy passenger on the back the other day . Bike was NOT happy . It bottomed a few times . Preload was all the way up . But the shock is old , too . Putting in an 1100gsxr as we speak ...
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

is it a direct swap for gixxer spring set ups?

Comment

If your combined weight w/gear, clothing, etc., is greater than 480 lbs, stop taking that person on your bike (the bike is not designed for a total cargo load of over 480 lbs, and there are other considerations aside from the shock involved as well).

Given your log-in name here (RedKat06), I'm guessing you have an '06 Kat, which means there is no way the rear shock should be defective already unless it was defective from manufacture (in which case get it swapped out under warrantee), thus I suspect you must have exceeded the total weight limit.

If you are bottoming out AND your combined load weight is under 480 lbs AND you already had spring compression at max, then yes, I would suggest getting shorter rear dogbones (to raise the rear).

If you personally are weighing in at over 350 -- or your combined weights are clocking in over about 400 and she is or will be a regular passenger -- I seriously recommend getting a shock tailored specifically for your riding needs. It won't be cheap (guess: $800), but I can get you an Ohlin rear shock tailored specifically to that higher weight limit (stronger spring, thicker oils, custom built to your actual weight spec). Among other things, the bike will handle as it should, it won't bottom out, and the shock will last many years before needing a rebuild (and is rebuildable at a cheap price -- unlike the OEM one which isn't rebuildable at all to the best of my knowledge).

As for the idea of a GSXR shock: stay away from it. The Gixxer is 100 lbs lighter and has a far, far lower total cargo weight limit -- you'd be even more likely to both bottom out and blow-out a GSXR shock on your Kat under the conditions. If you're looking for used shocks specifically for cost reasons, you need to find a heavier late-model bike whose shock will bolt in, preferably something 200lbs heavier than the Kat to compensate sufficiently.

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

well no we're not over the weight limit then i'm bout 250 and i'm not postin the ole lady's number but we're under that's for sure.

Comment

are you driving off road?

Comment

double check your preload i am 250 and i g/f is like 160 or so and were fine at stock settings, but if i was 2 ride 2-up more then i do i would bump the preload up a little more

Comment

Working...
                              X