Katana of the Month - September 2007  kwebbel

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Rolling Stock > Tire Talk, Chain & Sprockets

Tire Talk, Chain & Sprockets If it has to do with tires & wheels, then you're in the right place.
Best tire for a Katana? What's the tread life on a particular brand ? Size of a stock rim?
Chains & Sprockets? These questions and so much more are addressed right here !

Old 01-15-2017, 06:15 PM   #1
Holocene
Katrider

Default Gearing a 750 for maximum highway MPG.

I want to gear as high as I can for highway commuting. What size front and rear sprockets should I use?

Can I get 45 to 50 MPG?
Holocene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 06:18 PM   #2
92xjunker
Neo-maxoid-zoomed-bweebie
Supporting Member

eBay ID: guysmustang

You should be around that low number already... www.gearingcommander.com
If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group
92xjunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:32 PM   #3
Kreylyn
Kat King

eBay ID: Kreylyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holocene View Post
I want to gear as high as I can for highway commuting. What size front and rear sprockets should I use?

Can I get 45 to 50 MPG?
I would expect close that normally with stock gearing. You could gear it so lower the rpms some and probably hyper-mile out even better mpg. The concerns would be going too far will mean not enough power to maintain speed, and that would actually cause you to use more throttle to keep highway speeds and thus... lower the mpg.

I would think your probably looking at say 15/40 as being the max range for changing the sprocket. I would stick with a 15 tooth front simply for wear concerns, and adjust the rear sprocket to get the gearing you want.

Other things to consider for better mpg... Good spark, tuned carbs, no air/vacuum leaks.

That breaks down to ...
  • Quality spark plugs.
  • Good condition plug wires.
  • Minimal 11.5v going to the coils (check your wiring does not have issues)
  • Check all rubber/plastic to hard parts for air/vacuum leaks. Issues include carb caps not being smooth and sealing well, air box boots not being sealed well to the air box, o-rings on the engine boots having flattened out, so on.
  • Use correct gas... Higher than regular actually decreases performance and MPG on a properly tuned Kat.
  • Jet kit... I know that doesn't sound right, but a jet kit isn't about making the bike use more gas... it's about properly tuning the bike to use the correct a/f mix through all rpms, getting you the most power. Better power = less gas use over all for a properly tuned bike.
  • Factory type paper air filter. High flow will cause issues.
  • Good oil, with proper upkeep.
  • Good air pressure on the tires.
  • Properly maintained and lubed drive chain.

Krey

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"
Kreylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:06 AM   #4
shpielers
Kat Legend

On my 600 I've gone down to a 41t rear.
With jetkit/5advance/good tune I get ~48 mpg steady highway for the entire tank (200+miles). I imagine a 750 would have less issues regarding low gearing/needing more throttle. We've got a member who has tuned A/F ratio and gearing to maximize mpg, claimed in the 50+ mpg range. Believe he's on a 750, member name truput.

* I prefer 43t rear, 41 is perfect for making the odometer accurate, but you definitely loose some low end oomph

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles
shpielers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:38 PM   #5
AR-15
Squid

I checked my 750 twice last year and was above 50 both times. My gearing is stock.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:00 PM   #6
B-Man
Katrider

With stock gearing my 750 manages 45 or so, with a mixture of highway and twisty riding.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:17 PM   #7
Myers2002
Squid

Hey quick question can I get good mpgs and good low end power by doing sprocket change
Myers2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 07:00 AM   #8
November
Skid Mark

I'm not sure it's possible to get both better fuel economy and better power. My understanding is it's a trade off. Either gear for power or gear for economy.

I want to pass along www.fuelly.com which has real world mpg as reported by the website users. Here is link for the 750:

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/suzuki/gsx750f
Michelin Pilot Activ rubber
November is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Rolling Stock > Tire Talk, Chain & Sprockets