No announcement yet.
X

JB Weld on right side engine cover????

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB Weld on right side engine cover????

I just found a very small crack on my right side engine cover and its very thin do you think I can use some good ole Jb weld on temporarily til I buy a new cover?? 93 Kat 600

No, no, no, no, no... Been there tried that. Mine was busted when I bought the bike. I JB welded it together to ride it home. Let it sit a few days and cure, then went and rode the bike home. Hmmm... what do I see, leaking oil, it opened it right back up once runing. I just parked it until I got me new one in.

That's just my experience.
    97 GSX600F
    76 CB750F
    71 CB175

Comment

I put about 5000 miles on my last bike with a JB welded cover. With correct surface prep, it should hold just fine. I wouldn't call it a permanent fix, though.
      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

In that case I will try it simply because I have read many posts by you LOUDNLOW and your other posts have helped a great deal. much props!!

Comment

Originally posted by jeremiah View Post
          In that case I will try it simply because I have read many posts by you LOUDNLOW and your other posts have helped a great deal. much props!!
          I'm very flattered, and at the same time, very concerned for your sanity.
          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

ive used it on my 96 and it worked intil i replaced it.

Comment

Yo, you got tha skills and the know how, I'ma rookie still playin in the sandbox I'm reading what you post so I can soak it the knowledge and be a BIGBOY TOO!!!!

Comment

take a grinder to the seam before you jb weld it, to get a really nice and jagged surface for the goo to stick to. then hit it with brake cleaner or compressed air to clean it. then hit it with a nice layer of jb weld.

it 'should' hold until you can get it done right with a tig welder... its aluminum right? a good shop should do it for a few bucks
                1989 katana 750

Comment

Good looking out family

Comment

+1 on the brake cleaner or other similar solvent before the JB weld. You want to make sir that you have gotten rid of all of the oil before you apply it or the JB will not stick. Remember it is a casting which is porus. You may want ro clean it multiple time in order to make sure that all of the oil has been removed.

Comment

Working...
                    X