No announcement yet.
X

SWINGARM SWAP

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ABS is in the 400* range........ I worked @ a plastics factory.......
    '07 SV1000S
    Power Commander III USB
    M4/Yosh Ti Full Race Exhaust
    Driven 520 chain kit
    Spiegler SS Brake & Clutch lines

Comment

Waltari, Do you have any pics of above and below of the spacers and dogbones. Do you have the spacer sizes on hand? That would make the swap a whole lot easier.
      '07 SV1000S
      Power Commander III USB
      M4/Yosh Ti Full Race Exhaust
      Driven 520 chain kit
      Spiegler SS Brake & Clutch lines

Comment

You dont need a new swingarm to run a wider tire, I had a 93 GSXR 750 wheel in my 92 Kat 750. All I had to do was change the bearings in the wheel and carrier, and make new spacers, bent the brake arm to clear the wheel and mill some material off the katana brake arm to get the caliper to align with the rotor.

Comment

Originally posted by averagejoe
          You dont need a new swingarm to run a wider tire, I had a 93 GSXR 750 wheel in my 92 Kat 750. All I had to do was change the bearings in the wheel and carrier, and make new spacers, bent the brake arm to clear the wheel and mill some material off the katana brake arm to get the caliper to align with the rotor.
          but aren't you in danger of weaking the stability of that brace? HMMMMMMM
          TDA Racing/Motorsports
          1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
          Who knows what is next?
          Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
          Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

I don't think that brake arm brace sees a horrible amount of load, but I am no engineer.

So how wide is the gsxr wheel?

care to elaborate on what exact bearings you used as well as what spacers?

also, can't exacly visualize what you are talking about here:
            "mill some material off the katana brake arm to get the caliper to align with the rotor"

I know a lot of people would be interested in this swap if it was wider then the 98+ wheel (for looks)

-Tyler

Comment

5.5 x 17
              TDA Racing/Motorsports
              1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
              Who knows what is next?
              Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
              Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Hey Waltari, you wouldnt be able to make me a set of the spacers and bearings I would need for the rf900 swingarm setup would you? If not could you PM me or something with the dimensions I would need them to be made to.

Only thing is finding a machining shop around bumblefawk West VA
                Uh Oh here we go....

Comment

No need for pm's, I am sure others would be interested

Comment

Also does anyone know the stock dimensions of that pre 98 kat swingarm.....I know someone posted the 98+
                    Uh Oh here we go....

Comment

If I'm not mistaken.. the two are the same.

I MIGHT be wrong on that, but I think the only difference is the mount for the rear brake. Pre-98 is on top and 98+ is on bottom.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
                      who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

i think I found one more that would be farily simple to use, the 03-04 zx6r swingarm. It measures in just slightly under the katana......I think it was like 9.165 and the kat one is 9.678 or something to that affect.
                        Uh Oh here we go....

Comment

Can it be true that this thread has had 2004
                          views? Wow..

I think those spacers are in here somewhere..
                          I know Waltari has posted them several times.

Comment

Just an FYI for everyone...I no longer have access to a machine shop so I cannot turn spacers for anyone. Also, I do not have the exact dimension written down anywhere. I never anticipated so may people would want to try and duplicate the idea so I never thought keep those things handy would ever be necessary. Sorry, not about to disassembly the rear end to get the exact dimension on everything

That being said, finding your dimensions shouldn't be that tough for anyone with their rear end torn apart. You need one set of bushings to fit in the swingarm pivot tubes and one set of spacers to take up the extra room since the rf900/bandit/gsxr arm is a bit narrower.

I've posted this a ton of times in other threads but the idea is new bushings with an OD to fit the new swinarm pivot and an ID that matches the katana pivot bolt diameter. Spacers have a ID the same as the katana pivot bolt an OD equal it the size of the pivot tube. To figure the width of the spacers subtract the width of the new arm from the kat arm subtract whatever thickness of the bushings is sticking out and divide by two.

Comment

Woohoo.......I found a new swingarm that will work

Hopefully going to buy it this week depending on my cash situation
                              Uh Oh here we go....

Comment

Originally posted by BlackKatnWV
                                Woohoo.......I found a new swingarm that will work

Hopefully going to buy it this week depending on my cash situation

So tell us what swingarm will do the job!
                                1990 600 kat on going projectNow with zxr 750 frontend

Comment

Working...
                                X