Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Winter's coming, getting bikes all bedded down.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have no idea how bad the winter is there , maybe it varies depending on area? But flipping love the mountains . My fave is the highway that gets to 12k’, goes through the Eisenhower tunnel and goes past the gorgeous towns like Vail. I was
    once there in mid July and saw snow about 1000’ away from the road . I am a beer snob and still think CO has the best beer in the country. It really is beauty carved out of the mountains. I like to stop at Idaho Springs , spend time in an enclosed hot springs , visit the local brew pub .
    I’ll be back there this summer for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by DClark View Post
      I have no idea how bad the winter is there , maybe it varies depending on area? But flipping love the mountains . My fave is the highway that gets to 12k’, goes through the Eisenhower tunnel and goes past the gorgeous towns like Vail. I was
      once there in mid July and saw snow about 1000’ away from the road . I am a beer snob and still think CO has the best beer in the country. It really is beauty carved out of the mountains. I like to stop at Idaho Springs , spend time in an enclosed hot springs , visit the local brew pub .
      I’ll be back there this summer for sure.
      Colorado is beautiful, and I agree, it appears to have alot going for it. They get alot of sunshine in the winter, another plus, for me. We have friends that live out there, they've seen snow already, this season.
      I've been watching the jobs available out there for a few months, now... maybe something will pop-up. I would think the riding in the mountains has to be fantastic.
      GS1000SZ, GS1100EZ, GS1000ST (Wes Cooley)

Comment

One drawback I should mention is the altitude . You lose about 2% hp per 1000 feet. My fully loaded down c14 felt pretty sluggish at 12,000’. I was doing about 70 and a Tesla blew past me like I was parked, lol!

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_dog View Post
          The Kat is in the picture, so I thought it was appropriate to post. I hate this time of year in NE Indiana...

Nice, have just started restoring( winter project) an SN, how do they compare to the big Kat?

Comment

Holy winterizing batman...it's 30 degrees outside here now!!!

Comment

Originally posted by johnod View Post
              Nice, have just started restoring( winter project) an SN, how do they compare to the big Kat?
              I love my ST. Not near as fast as the Kat, but much more comfortable riding position, for me, anyway. The ST has great power and handling, plus the comfort. Probably my most ridden bike in the garage. Kind of like apples to oranges, though. Both are great bikes.

Comment

My wife and I took road trip this weekend and brought one more home...

Comment

I love my ST. Not near as fast as the Kat, but much more comfortable riding position, for me, anyway. The ST has great power and handling, plus the comfort. Probably my most ridden bike in the garage. Kind of like apples to oranges, though. Both are great bikes.
                  I added a pair of hi rise tarozzi clip-ons to my Kat made it comfortable to ride. Prior to that it had become so unenjoyable I had put it up for sale.
                  Was fine when I was younger but not so much fun as I got older.

That and a fork rebuild with gold emulators and new springs really transformed the bike.

Like your new bike, there's one more I want too, but that's not it.

Comment

Congrats Joe!!!
                    79 Honda Red CBX, 79 Honda Silver CBX, 82 Suzuki 1000 Katana, 76 Kawasaki KZ900, 84 VF1000F, 07 Honda CBR1000RR Repsol, 95 CB1000 Big One, 1987 Hondaxl600R, 1978 Honda XL250S, 2006 Yamaha TW200

Comment

I added a pair of hi rise tarozzi clip-ons to my Kat made it comfortable to ride. Prior to that it had become so unenjoyable I had put it up for sale.
                      Was fine when I was younger but not so much fun as I got older.

That and a fork rebuild with gold emulators and new springs really transformed the bike.

Like your new bike, there's one more I want too, but that's not it.
                      I thought about raising the clip-ons, also. I'll look into the Tarrozi high-rise. My arms are way too short and the angle wears on me. I also rebuilt the forks with new springs, that was a big improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by sixdog View Post
                        Congrats Joe!!!
                        Thanks Mario. Needs some work, but is all there and the previous owner put it away correctly, two years ago. Should be an easy project. Owned since 1983 by the PO.

Comment

I thought about raising the clip-ons, also. I'll look into the Tarrozi high-rise. My arms are way too short and the angle wears on me. I also rebuilt the forks with new springs, that was a big improvement.
                          Like so, these may not be the right dia. but same look.

I had aftermarket brake lines and did not have to change them, don't know about stock lines.
                          Also I had to turn them( the bars) around from what I intended so stock master cyl would slide down the bar far enough.
                          That brought the bars closer, good, but they then hit tank, bad, so I built up the fork stops on lower yoke with a bit of aluminum, and some JB weld.
                          Easier to undo than if I had welded.

Makes a big difference.

Comment

Like so, these may not be the right dia. but same look.

I had aftermarket brake lines and did not have to change them, don't know about stock lines.
                            Also I had to turn them( the bars) around from what I intended so stock master cyl would slide down the bar far enough.
                            That brought the bars closer, good, but they then hit tank, bad, so I built up the fork stops on lower yoke with a bit of aluminum, and some JB weld.
                            Easier to undo than if I had welded.

Makes a big difference.
                            Thanks, I'll check them out.

Comment

Working...
                            X