Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

thwap thwap thwap thwap..... etc. Lane Splitting...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thwap thwap thwap thwap..... etc. Lane Splitting...

Thanks to all who have posted. I have learned A LOT just by browsing other posts and topics. I do have a question for my distant future. What is the deal with lane splitting? How is it legal and any tips for when i get up the courage in like 2 years!! I live in San Diego, real busy, all the time. Had to find a time of day and an empty parking lot that was conducive to a newbie. I really, REALLY like my bike and my license, so I dont want stupid lane splitting to take either away from me. Let me know.

Kats rock...
    "There are no short cuts to any place worth going."

Lane splitting is leagal here in California.
    Actually, it's called 'Lane Sharing'...

That let us do it because of the cooling problems involved with motorcycles. Not a really good thing to be stopped in traffic for a few hours going nowhere...

The best tip I can give you is watch yer backside. There are those friendly souls that watch out for us and give us a bit more room, but they are few and far between. There are just as many jerks that close the area off because they can't stand to see bikes pass them.... Also, should some impatient fellow cyclist try to shove a bike up your butt (because they're on a mission), just pull to the side and let them pass....heck, let them get the ticket!

I don't know the actual rule for how much over the flow of traffic you are allowed to go....25mph-ish maybe(?) Also, as much as I hate the car pool lane (mostly because the area in between it and the rest of the fwy is filled with the most garbage on the fwy), it probably is the safest place to split. At least cars are not supposed to cross the solid lines....(don't you believe it!!!).

Comment

CHP's comments on lane splitting (from their FAQ):
      Can motorcycle riders "split" lanes and ride between other vehicles?
      Lane splitting by motorcycles is permissible but must be done in a safe and prudent manner.
      Unfortunately, this (safe and prudent) is always a debatable issue, so follow the general guidelines of not doing it when traffic is moving more than 15 mph, and never go more than 15 over what traffic is doing.

PS - you can buy your CHP gear here, which may save you a ticket at some point in the future:

Motorcyclist Online article about lane-splitting in Cali:

Search for more info on the net. There's lots out there to help you on this subject.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I have never done it, but most of the time I feel like doing it. The problem is that I work 5 mins away from my home and it takes me like 20 to get home because of the traffic.

when I have to work saturdays I leave my house 7 before and make it with time to kill.

I have never seen a cop on the road but I am scared of stupid people that don't know how to drive, and get mad because you can pass them.

Comment

Re: thwap thwap thwap thwap..... etc. Lane Splitting...

Originally posted by New Kat around the block
          How is it legal and any tips for when i get up the courage...
          It's legal because it's not illegal. Meaning there are no laws that state you can not lane split. As CP stated as long as it is done in a safe manner. I can remember once I lane splited on the freeway between two semi tractor trailers. That was the most stupid, bonehead, idiotic mistake I have ever made. That would be considered an unsafe lane sharing, deserving a citation. I knew it right after I did it. I learned my lesson.

One CHP officer told me, after I asked him that same question, that even two cars can share the same lane if there is enough room.

A couple tips I can offer: first get comfortable with your bike. Know it's abilities, acceleration and especially braking. Counter streering will be your best freind out on the road, especially on the freeway where cars will suddenly change lanes next to you. That happens very frequently. A flick of the bike can get you out of a possible collision.

When I lane split, I ride with my high beams on because I have driving lights connected to them. The key being greater visibility.
          How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
          How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
          How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
          How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

California is the only state that currently allows lane splitting. Lane sharing refers to two motorcycles being able to ride two abreast in the same lane. Nearly every state allows this.

Source.

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
              PS - you can buy your CHP gear here, which may save you a ticket at some point in the future:
              http://www.chppx.com/prodpgs/clothingmn2.html
              Says something about CHP ID number in Ordering Instructions.

Originally posted by http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mclaw/split.html
              5. Carry 10 #4 ball bearings (ask some old biker what to do with them).
              Ok, what do you do with them?
              1995 Suzuki Katana 600
              1981 Suzuki GS450 (Only moves when I push it)

I am "a halfway decent rider and wise-ass who is way too narcissistic for his or her own good." (Results of http://www.bytebrothers.org/SquidTest.htm, July 12, 2006)

Comment

Tip: Don't look into the cars as you pass them. You don't wanna know. The things people are doing while sitting in traffic boggle the mind. Talking on cell phones and applying makeup is the least of it. I saw a guy on the 405 with his shirt of pleasuring himself into said shirt. Look and think ten cars ahead and be aware whenever you come to a gap that could be filled by a cage. That cage may dart across your path to fill the gap.
                Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                  http://www.chppx.com/prodpgs/clothingmn2.html
                  Originally posted by JohnOR86
                  Says something about CHP ID number in Ordering Instructions.
                  That's only required for ordering "official uniforms" and the like. CHP-logo'd casual wear shouldn't require it. Call them if in doubt.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by SKNL2
                    California is the only state that currently allows lane splitting. Lane sharing refers to two motorcycles being able to ride two abreast in the same lane. Nearly every state allows this.

Source.
                    California's Motorcyle Handbook defines "lane sharing" differently. It's in PDF format, 1.7 Mb. Bottom of page 18 in the Adobe reader. (Page 15 on the actual publication)

Here's another web site, besides what's been listed, called Laneshare.org that discusses this subject.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnOR86

Originally posted by http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mclaw/split.html
                      5. Carry 10 #4 ball bearings (ask some old biker what to do with them).
                      Ok, what do you do with them?
                      The stories I've heard is they are reserved for a-hole drivers. If you got one behind you, throw them over your head in such a manner that the ball bearings strike the windshield of the car.

Comment

I split about 80 percent of my riding here in la. Going from the south bay to Panorama city every day sometimes twice a day, gotta down the 110, 101..... my points for safety.... go at your own pace you feel comfortable... as deedub said, if someone comes behind pull over and wave em by, just like ridin in canyons, ride your pace only! If there is a tight opening, slow down till your confident you can pass, always keep your eyes 3 - 4 cars ahead, scan for people on cell phones, pass wearily on those, perhaps a nice little rev to let em know... also be weary when theres an opening, watch the cars next to the opening as you come thru, they may change across you to the opening!...If your new, also practice locking your rear brake too! I remember my first couple emergency brakes included too much rear brake and some lockage, but if you practice, you won't panic and it's nothing at all .. cause trust me, lane splitting will lead to some quick braking by cars changing lanes abrubtly, cars drifting into the line and just a number of other stupid reasons! Happy safe riding!
                        Ray - Thank you, may I have another?

Comment

Freeways

seypea says: " Going from the south bay to Panorama city every day sometimes twice a day, gotta down the 110, 101....."

Hey, I ride from San Diego to Santa Clarita about twice a month. Yeah, that does back up. Good tips thanks.

I thought there was a difference from lane splitting and lane sharing, thanks for the clarification.

Also, when ive been driving, I am more aware of bikers when one passes. Probably it is safer to travel in pairs or more. Then the motorists ahead know that kats are coming!!

So I gotta check the laws for AZ and NV if I go there?
                          "There are no short cuts to any place worth going."

Comment

no need to check in az and nv, don't split, gonna get a ticket! there's a link around here of motorcycle laws! lemme look!
                            Ray - Thank you, may I have another?

Comment

Lane splitting is fully half the reason to ride a bike IMHO.

Without it, you're just another vehicle stuck in the hell of the freeway system. My motorcycle is worth its weight in gold simply because it relegates traffic to "non-issue" status. I'm HUGELY more productive in my average work day simply because I can get places in 1/3 to 1/2 the time it takes everyone else - adds up to literally hours in the course of a given week.

I've posted this before on the "riding tips" forum but in general I'll say there's a smart way and a stupid way to do lane splitting. The "smart" way is to just keep the bike moving - there's really no pressing need to go much more than 10-15 MPH over the "ambient" traffic speed. In this way if you happen to get unlucky and encounter one of the many idiots doing "warp speed" lane changes, road debris, whatever, you may drop the bike but you'll probably not get killed in the process. The "stupid" way is to be one of the asshats that likes to go screaming through dead-stopped traffic at 50 or 60 or 70 MPH. The argument I've heard is that you're up and by people so fast they never see you coming. Yeah, right. That's what I want. . . NOT!!! Anyway, there's no need for it and you're askin' for it if you do that.

Look far ahead when splitting. Don't focus on the couple of cars right in front of you. The 5-7 second rule is all the more applicable here. You really need to be looking ahead and looking for vehicle movements or situations "setting up" that will allow you to accurately predict or identify imminent threats to you. Watch for things like vehicles slowly "drifting" towards the dashed line you're riding - particularly if they are overtaking a vehicle in the other lane or are being overtaken by one (possibly they're eyeing the "gap" that's about to open for them in a second or two and are going to make a "warp speed" lane change for it). Watch for larger-than-usual gaps between cars. Often an indicator of someone on the phone or otherwise distracted that isn't paying attention to what the hell is going on around them - particularly motorcycles bearing down on them. Stuff like that. You'll develop a "sixth sense" for drivers telegraphing their intentions to a point that's uncanny before long. It helps one's driving too. I've caught myself in the car with my wife driving and going "HOLY SHIT!!!" or tensing up with her going "what's your problem" and then having to swerve for something or slam on the brakes. I saw it coming, she didn't. I probably did because I'm more "in tune" to the subtleties of vehicle movements and scenarios setting themselves up for creating potential hazards DIRECTLY from riding and particularly lane-splitting.

Other stuff I'd recommend if you're going to be "in between" on a regular basis (common sense) - good gear and helmet, good, bright working headlamps (one of those "wig-wag" thingys is probably a good idea if you can find one), loud exhaust, bright clothing, etc. The usual "be seen" kind of stuff. And never assume you are.

Ride safely and enjoy one of the greatest perks of owning a bike - traffic free transportation!
                              ---Jeff (Long Beach Represent!)

'99 Katana 750 (Metallic Space Blue / Matte Silky Gray Metallic)
                              Plus some cars.

"Never Break More than You Fix..."

Comment

Working...
                              X