Surface Temperature?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surface Temperature?

Hey Guys,

I was wondering if anyone happens to know how hot the surface of a bike gets during a sunny day? I'm up in Canada and the hotest it usually get is 35-40 (95-105), I know that the surface will be hotter then that but don't know how much.

Also, if someone has a IR thermometer could they please take a measurement during a sunny day. I've tried to find one to borrow from someone, but they seem to be a specialty/novelty item. I know the temp. will vary with colour, but I just want a general idea.

Cheers,

Meadow
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage, Mythbuster

I have a thermo I can hit the black vinyl roof of my convertable with to give you an idea
    that help?
    Live and Lean.
    When the going gets twisty, the going get twistin.
    "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
    Romans 3:23

Comment

My buddy Jay (Potlicker12) on ESR has one that he uses out at the racetrack.
      FrankenKat 1216
      GS Fiter 816
      GSXR750! (race)

Comment

Hey Klic,

That would be awesome. An actual bike fairing would be best, not sure if there'd be any differece. Either would be great.

I'll look into borrow DooD's buddies on a hot day as well.
        "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage, Mythbuster

Comment

what do you need the temp for?

Comment

In March, when ambient temps were in the low 80's in our area, the surface of the racetrack at Sebring was well into the 129 - 132 F degrees. I would guess that the summer sun on a motorcycle tank/fairings would reach the same surface temps in your area (whether you use an UV-protected wax might play a factor into how hot it gets).

If the wife/mom/gf/yourself has a kitchen thermal probe, you may be able to get an accurate measurement using that instead -- I know I've used my digital kitchen probe to measure the intake to the oil cooler at times and the temp was within 3 degrees of those reported by oil temp guages I sell clean across the board...

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
            X