X

Rough Morning

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
    Well, what do you think the bike is worth?
    What's the payoff amount on the loan (or is it free-n-clear)?

IMHO: it was worth NADA high book value prior to the accident, which puts it at $5345 (at least in my area -- look up your own values at www.nada.com ) PLUS the cost of every upgrade installed (for this evaluation -- not if you were to try to sell it today). I would point that out to the translator.
    KNOW THIS:
    If you are ordering new OEM fairings for the bike, they will come pre-painted, so the cost of painting isn't a necessary factor as long as you include every scratched fairing in the replacement and don't need any frame fix/painting.

Good Luck!
    =-= The CyberPoet

I paid cash for the bike it is free from any leans. As for a fair value, I already looked up NADA value and then added an additional $130 for the jet kit. As for the paint, I bought the bike with a custom paint job, it's close to the same color as sweetlou's bike but mine is slightly dark and had a touch of metal flake....so I think I will have to have it painted or buy all new factory farings.

Comment

this whole situation sucks MOOSE C$$K!!! why cant everyone abide by the law and have the proper credentials....yeh right..bastards.... kill em all..good luck dude...

Comment

Get the authoritied involved ASAP . Knobs .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Authorities - maybe. For sure, speak to a lawyer. Almost any attorney working in the vehicle insurance racket will give you a free consultation where you can explain your story and (he/she) will describe how it's likely to turn out.

Either this guy really is upstanding (not terribly likely, IMHO) or he was planning on scheming his way out of responsibility - BUT - I believe he has badly blundered. As mentioned above, he probably doesn't have credit, might not even have a bank account, and therefore is planning to pay you $4000 in cash or in a fraudulent money order or fraudulent cashier's check. Let's hope it's cash.

You have:
          1. The written estimate
          2. (hopefully) filed the reports of the accident
          3. His offer to buy the bike for $4000
          4. Gotten some legal advice (please do this)
          5. Citizenship - hey man, just being practical

To make all of this work in your favor, I would:
          1. Ask the lawyer what you can do to stick it to the guy and how you can put together the biggest possible legal threat
          2. Tell him that you're -considering- selling the bike to him, and have him show up, and if you can get him to bring cash, that's better.
          3. Don't sell him the bike, but instead serve him with a copy of the written estimate and whatever scary-looking papers you and the lawyer can produce.
          4. If you really think this is an issue, ask him point blank what his legal status is in the US. Ask to see his social security card (make something up if you have to - it's required to complete your insurance claim or something).

And finally,

5. Offer to forget the whole thing if he pays the amount on the written estimate. (VERY FAIR, IMHO)

Some of the above may not be very nice and may not be completely politically correct, but in my opinion you have no moral obligation to be nice when you're just trying to get what you fairly deserve out of somebody.

But please speak to an attorney. If things go poorly with this guy and you never got legal advice, you will surely regret it later.
          former dc beltway daily commuter

Comment

here are some before pics:

I will post some pics of the damage, once I have a chance to take some.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Kat600
              here are some before pics:
              How the hell does someone miss that?!?!?!!?

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                How the hell does someone miss that?!?!?!!?
                LMAO....I don't know!!!! I guess he had not had his coffee yet or he is just plain color blind.

Comment

Originally posted by RejectionNinja
                  Authorities - maybe. For sure, speak to a lawyer. Almost any attorney working in the vehicle insurance racket will give you a free consultation where you can explain your story and (he/she) will describe how it's likely to turn out.

Either this guy really is upstanding (not terribly likely, IMHO) or he was planning on scheming his way out of responsibility - BUT - I believe he has badly blundered. As mentioned above, he probably doesn't have credit, might not even have a bank account, and therefore is planning to pay you $4000 in cash or in a fraudulent money order or fraudulent cashier's check. Let's hope it's cash.

You have:
                  1. The written estimate
                  2. (hopefully) filed the reports of the accident
                  3. His offer to buy the bike for $4000
                  4. Gotten some legal advice (please do this)
                  5. Citizenship - hey man, just being practical

To make all of this work in your favor, I would:
                  1. Ask the lawyer what you can do to stick it to the guy and how you can put together the biggest possible legal threat
                  2. Tell him that you're -considering- selling the bike to him, and have him show up, and if you can get him to bring cash, that's better.
                  3. Don't sell him the bike, but instead serve him with a copy of the written estimate and whatever scary-looking papers you and the lawyer can produce.
                  4. If you really think this is an issue, ask him point blank what his legal status is in the US. Ask to see his social security card (make something up if you have to - it's required to complete your insurance claim or something).

And finally,

5. Offer to forget the whole thing if he pays the amount on the written estimate. (VERY FAIR, IMHO)

Some of the above may not be very nice and may not be completely politically correct, but in my opinion you have no moral obligation to be nice when you're just trying to get what you fairly deserve out of somebody.

But please speak to an attorney. If things go poorly with this guy and you never got legal advice, you will surely regret it later.
                  But if you sic INS on him and they send him packing, you'll never get a penny.
                  -Tiny

'05 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by Tiny1877
                    But if you sic INS on him and they send him packing, you'll never get a penny.
                    I never said a thing about turning him in.
                    former dc beltway daily commuter

Comment

Working...
                    X