X

Unknown Engine Problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unknown Engine Problem

I took me and nice ride on the interstate earlier. Cruising around 75 to 80ish. 25 miles one way then 25 back. The first 25 went smooth. Coming back on the last 5 miles my bike lost power then backfired. After about a second i gained my power back. About a mile later it did it again with no backfire. Then was smooth the last 3 or so miles. I drive my bike locally and never had this happen. That was my first good stretch of straight driving at those speeds with it. The first time it did it im not sure if it died out and started back up cause i was doing 70ish or if thats even possible. Anyone else have had the same problem cause i dont know where to start with that?

She is a 2000 600 Kat
    Last edited by jonathon1; 02-10-2016, 03:05 PM. Reason: Bike Info

Sidestand problem.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Thanks

Come to think of it the thing has been giving me problems. Sometimes i have to pull it up with my foot a time or 2 or i will die out trying to get into fist gear. It seems very loose. This can be tightened? I believe the switch is good its just the stand is very loose doesnt stay up well.

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
        Sidestand problem.
        That's a good a guess as any. At this point a bunch of educated guess are all you're gonna get. You can replace the springs. There are two, get new ones.

Comment

You'd think since the stand is faulty you'd address it before it leaves you stranded. Depends on why it's loose. Something as simple as a washer could fix it.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Tighten then bypass the switch...
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
              Sidestand problem.
              +1
              Several people have had this issue. Sidestand is loose, hit a bump, sidestand moves a lot (enough to kill power for a fraction of a sec), and bike backfires. Over time the washer can wear and needs to get shimmed or replaced. Seems like its been an easy fix for those that had that issue. Might as well try that first and if it doesn't help, at least you've ruled out something cheap and easy.
              1998 Katana 750
              1992 Katana 1100
              2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by Million$ View Post
                Tighten then bypass the switch...
                Dont bypass it. Its there for a reason.
                Repair and then be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Kat Floyd View Post
                  Dont bypass it. Its there for a reason.
                  Repair and then be happy.
                  +1

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Thanks Guys

My spring is stretched and worn out. I just placed a order for a new one. The bolt holding the stand on was pretty loose too. Save me a lot of worry cause i thought this was a engine problem. Does anyone know a quality parts source but cheaper than bike bandit? They are wallet snatchers.

Comment

Ive used Cheapcycleparts.com before and had good luck.
                      They list the side stand spring at $4.06
                      Bike bandit has it listed for $4.82

Comment

$4.82????? How dare they!!!

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                          $4.82????? How dare they!!!
                          I know huh. When he said it was expensive I was thining maybe $20 for a spring.
                          4.82 isn't bad for a custom spring.

Comment

Originally posted by jonathon1 View Post
                            My spring is stretched and worn out. I just placed a order for a new one. The bolt holding the stand on was pretty loose too. Save me a lot of worry cause i thought this was a engine problem. Does anyone know a quality parts source but cheaper than bike bandit? They are wallet snatchers.
                            I believe you have misdiagnosed your issue.

If the "bolt is loose" and the "spring is stretched".... it's most likely the shim issue mentioned earlier. That would put the stand at the right angle so the spring is tight again, and the bolt was at the right tension so that the stand can move, but isn't going to freely bounce/fall from the resting position.

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                            X