X

Hand goes horribly numb

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand goes horribly numb

I've noticed that my hand tends to go completely numb after riding for 15mins on the throttle. I know about those throttle levers, but it's not a soreness like my wrist is strained. My fingers litterly go completely numb like a nerve has been pinched off or there's no blood going to my hand.

Would larger grips help? I've tried gripping the handle differently, changing my posture, loosening my hold...nothing seems to help.

Any ideas? Similar experiences?

Re: Hand goes horribly numb

Originally posted by bdcastrantas
    Any ideas? Similar experiences?
    See a Doctor? This season I've been having similar symptoms. Happened a bit last year, but was never bad and a couple quick floppy shakes of the hand would cure it. This year, not so much. I think mine has alot to do with pushing a mouse around all day. But I'll be seeing the doctor shortly to get to the root of the problem.

Best of luck

Comment

Gloves...

I had that problem until I got the right gloves. If a glove-strap is hitting your nerve at the wrong postion, the numbness will begin to set in. -And make sure they're not strapped-on too tightly. Also, be mindful of your wrist position. Don't keep you hand cocked in an awkward position when you ride.

Experiment with it. Stay with your normal riding postion until you feel the onset of the numbness, then change the position and wait to see if the feeling comes back. -It usually will after about 30 seconds.

These tips helped to cure my numbness.
      =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Nero
        Gloves...

I had that problem until I got the right gloves. If a glove-strap is hitting your nerve at the wrong postion, the numbness will begin to set in. -And make sure they're not strapped-on too tightly. Also, be mindful of your wrist position. Don't keep you hand cocked in an awkward position when you ride.

Experiment with it. Stay with your normal riding postion until you feel the onset of the numbness, then change the position and wait to see if the feeling comes back. -It usually will after about 30 seconds.

These tips helped to cure my numbness.
        Hmmmm, never thought of that. Duh. I bought new gloves in the middle of last year (right around the time the problem started appearing). The new gloves have a wrist strap, and a cuff strap. Old ones only had a cuff strap. Thanks Nero. I'll experiment a bit with it, but all signs point to that being the culprit. Sometimes it's the simple things eh?

Comment

I also just switched to a corbin seat (which I love!) and i don't remember having the problem before I had the seat. My guess is it has to do with riding position. I haven't been wearing gloves lately because it has been quit warm...

Comment

Gloves can be a source of numbness, so can a poorly fitted jacket. I have heard about people experiencing numbness because in the riding position their jacket tightened up around their shoulder. After time it would cut off enough circulation to cause numbness.

Comment

First thing to look at is your riding posture. Weakness or numbness in the hands can mean that your using too much hand/arm to support yourself.

Has this always happened to you and is the bike new to you? It could also indicate a problem with steering geometry....
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I also had problems with numbness in the hands and I still do. But it has gotten better, I notice my riding posture and adjusted it. I had heard about gel gripes and gel gloves and that should help. But keep riding and that should also help.

Comment

Then again, maybe a rare Amazonian parasitic virus is working it's way into your central nervous system. What do I know?
                  =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Maybe your bike just needs a tune-up?

When I was younger my dad had this POS lawn mower that was basically like holding onto a jackhammer, that made my hands tingle from the vibration, then working contruction my hands would go completly numb after using an actual jackhammer for 15-30 min from the vibrations... so maybe your bikes just running rough and you are sensitive to that? no? ok, was worth a try to throw it out there

Comment

I get numbness in my fingers and from the elbow down. I had an MRI and have herniated discs in my neck. I sit closer to the gas tank and ride in a more upright position. Also will not bend at the neck, but try to keep my neck straight and look up instead of straight to see. Quitting popping my neck when it ached took away almost all my numbness.

I have already had lower back surgery to remove a broken disc in my back, so my sport bike riding days are probably numbered.

Getting old sucks, but its better than the alternative.

Comment

I have the same problem,but I don't think it's your seat.
                        I have a 01 750 Kat thats all OEM ( 4 now )
                        moving closer to the tank helped some with how long it was before the numbness started and it's tuned just right . I have heard that bar risers should help , maybe you should try that.

Comment

Do a search for Lead in your bars. I put lead bird shot in mine. That along with gloves made all of the numbness disappear. That and a carb sync will get rid of most of it, assuming your carbs are out of sync.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Working...
                          X