X

Abandoned PA Turnpike...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abandoned PA Turnpike...

'A few pics from our mostly failed attempt to ride the abandoned sections of the Pennsylvania Turnpike. These are from a stretch that we finally found after several hours of poking and prodding the defenses put in place by the filthy hippies who are now "caring" for it. Apparently it was purchased (for $1) and is now open only to bicyclists. Google "Pike to Bike" and you'll see. We didn't ride any further because a few minutes after we found this entrance a couple went by on their bicycles, one toting a dog. Apparently it's ok to strew the place with granola bar wrappers and pet feces, but motorcycles are a no-go. Anyway, we didn't want them calling the Forest Rangers. I'm more than a little salty about it all, if you hadn't picked up on that yet.

That particular spot was apparently somewhere in the middle of a 3 or 4 mile stretch with two areas that are impassable to motorcycles at either end. One of the abandoned tunnels can be accessed though (in the other direction- not pictured).

The roads were mainly dirt and/or loose gravel. So if you're out there be prepared for some wonkiness.

We're debating trying to find a time to head back out there and do a little more exploring. I refuse to do it on a bicycle though. ****ing long-hairs.

"People rike me. Because I force them to. With viorence!"
    -Travis of the Cosmos

Time to invest in a dual sport
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Next time, I'll take one of my CS grenades, and when we see those nasty tree huggers, I'll pop the pin and let the spoon fly. That should clear out a good swath for us. A pound of instantaneous blast CS is a good time.
      ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
      チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
      Semper Fi

Comment

f'n hippies...... it's too bad they aren't just leasing it, I'd say we should take up a collection to outbid them.

Either way, at least you gave them a little kick in the nutz by riding on their sacred road. :
        Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

thats pretty badass! did they just reroute the highway?

Comment

Yeah, the turnpike commission determined it would be cheaper to build new roadway, then to widen the tunnels from two lanes to four. You can get all the intel by googling Abandoned PA turpike or google "pike to Bike"
            ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
            チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
            Semper Fi

Comment

Awesome,
              would be one heck of an adventure when you pull it off!
              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
              Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
              R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
              1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
              RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
              3BBB turn signal mirrors,
              Black painted seat and rear trim,
              Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

Working...