X

Morgion's 1995 GSX600F rebuild thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
    I had a convo with a fellow forum member as-to why the sync's are done at higher rpm's. I get it, but in my opinion, they should be done at the opposite side of the spectrum: as low as possible without stalling. I sync mine @ 950 with an external tach. The thing is, if you cannot get a vacuum reading at that low of an rpm, you have bigger problems than an out-of-sync bike. Syncs should be done at operating rpm's, not in an rpm range the bike is not idling at. If your bike is stalling-out, etc., a check of your coils should be on the to-do list, as I can get various coils as-old as
    37 years to idle down to 700 rpm's (yes, wasted spark), just as I can on the Katana, with an accurate vacuum reading. JAT . . .
    That would be totally wrong, 1800 rpm would illiminate the pulsing vacuum. At that low of an rpm it would be impossible to perfectly sync with the vacuum pulse. If it came down to it I would sync high, not low.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
      That would be totally wrong, 1800 rpm would illiminate the pulsing vacuum. At that low of an rpm it would be impossible to perfectly sync with the vacuum pulse. If it came down to it I would sync high, not low.
      Thank you, that was what my understanding of carburetors was telling me as well.
      1995 GSX600F ///// Build diary

Comment

Just got information today that my friend died on August 21st when he was riding in Norway. Fell off a cliff, passed away on the spot. He will be remembered.
        Ride safe, everyone!

Comment

Wow! sorry for your loss!

Comment

After some damage assesment and planning, this is what I'm gonna do to the bike:

1. Custom brake light assy

2. Replace broken grab handle with custom hard luggage racks (attach to grab handle bolts and subframe "hook rail" bolts)
            3. Touring bars with heated grips, hand guards, bar-end mirrors and a shitload of accessories (not drawn), relocate instruments to upper triple
            4. Some sort of windshield (dunno yet)
            5. Aftermarket headlight. At first Polisport Halo (pictured) cuz it's cheap with decent light output and looks nice, later on maybe Trailtech X2 HID when I can afford it
            6. Trimmed front fender

Dunno about the color yet, maybe black w/ accents or dark gray or dark red (pictured). This time I will go the quick & dirty way and use a more durable paint but skip the clear coat because any paint damage is much easier to fix that way (and it will be cheaper, duh).
            As you can see, I will trim the front fairing along the lines where it cracked on both sides (thank god it broke more or less symmetrically) and trim the fuckhuge front fender. I will also fab up a custom exhaust (still 4-into-2, though, I like the look of dual exhausts) with shorter cans to replace the banged-up & rotten pipes I have rumbling down there currently. Also maybe install a rear hugger, mainly for the looks.

What do you guys think, any suggestions/ideas?

Comment

New touring bars with new bar-end mirrors and heated grips. I need to modify the bushings of the 750 upper triple to accept the thicker 12mm bolts. They fit through the triple but not through the bushings without modifications and I like the extra dampening.

Also got the two other taillights in the mail. Now waiting for LED rings and bulbs.

Comment

Man those bars look comfy!

Comment

...and comfy they were!
                  I will never ride without heated grips again, my hands stayed toasty even at 10 degrees centigrade on the highway with no fairings and no glove liners.

Had to enlarge the holes on the damper bushings from 10mm to 12mm for the bar clamp bolts.

Fabbed up some support brackets for the bar clamps, this is also where the gauge cluster will be attached to later.

Installed sans controls, couldn't take a pic of the final result because it got dark before I was ready.

Comment

...and here she is looking kinda awful but completely functional.

Comment

Not something nice to look at but hey it works

Comment

Yeah and it's nice to keep her operational while working on her so that my little project doesn't mean no bike.

Comment

Just finished a 500km riding season finale trip. Was super nice apart from temperatures dropping to freezing a 100km from home. The coming months will be dedicated to getting her ready for another season and another trip to Europe!

Comment

Sorry for the month-long silence, been busy with work stuff and fabricating a custom mount to relocate the instruments to the upper triple instead from the original bracket.

Which is now ready!

This is my fourth iteration and the first one I was mostly happy with. Also had to buy an extender for the speedo cable because it was left 10cm short.

How the cluster sits. The tacho is obviously crooked, as is the fuel gauge by a bit, because the mounting holes aren't completely horizontal. Doesn't matter.

And the mounting hardware. DIY for the win!

Comment

750 fuel gauge is much smaller and will work. What are you going to use to shield water from killing your gauges?
                              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                              spammer police
                              USAF veteran
                              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I'm converting to a digital cluster sometime later, not really worried about the gauges, they're somewhat beat up already.

The speedo is purely mechanical (apart from bulb) and the other two aren't operation-critical. I will still improve the insulation on the wiring and bulbs, particularly the little cluster with the indicator and warning lights, and will also install a windshield that also protects the cluster from direct exposure to water.

Comment

Working...
                                X