MPH via GPS chart

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPH via GPS chart

Hey all,
    Strapped up the GPS to the kat on the way in to work this morning... I thought I would share. Here is what I found. Stock 96 Kat 750, Stock Tires... All numbers are approx, because I didn't have my eyes glued to it. About 45 miles of the 56 miles are all country back roads. I tried to do most of the speeds consistently, although the latter 2 were more glances once or twice, then an "Oh $*%^, that's too fast!"

Speedo Says: GPS Says:
    60 55
    70 64
    80 73
    90 82
    100 91
    110 Get your own and tell me, I chicken'd out... Hehe

I gave up at a hundy. That is a bit out of my comfort level yet. Here are some other interesting GPS facts... And I wonder how come I've put 2k miles on it this year already...

Trip Odom: 56.5 Miles
    Max Speed: 91.2 mph
    Moving Time: 1hrs02mins
    Stopped: 5min59sec (gas)
    Moving Avg: 54.5 mph
    Overall Avg: 49.7 mph

New to Katriders? Click Here!

I have seen very similar numbers on mine.
    Garmin Etrex. About 10% high..

I agree about 7th gear too!!

Comment

i wanna gps!

Long Live the D

Comment

Unless you're traveling on a path as straight as an arrow, and as flat as a pancake (or unless the GPS is more accurate than than most and includes altimeter inclusion in the distance calculation), the numbers you got out of the GPS may not be accurate either...

Example:
        You ride up a 5% incline for a half mile, then down a 5% incline for a half mile. GPS usually says you covered 1 mile (linear distance on a flat surface). Bike says you covered 1.05 miles. Both are wrong, and the truth lies somewhere inbetween. Add in curves, variations in path, and small up/downs and you can see where both err in different directions.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I'll tell that to the cop that pulls me over next.

Comment

GPS compensates for elevation and does not need a straight line to calculate speed accurately.

Virtually all GPS units have altimiters built in, that's why they need to aquire several sattelites to function fully.

As long as they are receiving properly they will compensate for curves, elevation etc.

If you want to test, ride around a city block and it will tell you the total distance and your average speed around the block.

Carl-
            "Ignoring the facts does not mean that they cease to exist"

-Aldous Huxley

Comment

Working...
            X