X

38mm carbs on my Kat 1100

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
    Gearing a can't replace the loss, it's a give and thing on gearing, better torque less top end. Smaller carbs is a known way of building torque.
    So you are saying gearing don't make torque, what's does it do then?

Comment

I'm saying you can't just make something from nothing. You can multiply what he has and kill the top end but, he'll still have a loss of 13nm.
      Last edited by 92xjunker; 09-02-2015, 09:43 PM.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 1100 View Post
        So you are saying gearing don't make torque, what's does it do then?
        lower gearing simply allows the engine to rev easier, takes the strain away. Torque remains the same. Try re-gearing to a higher gear ratio then you'll notice the torque deficiency, in which there is more strain on the motor/ the source of torque.
        Last edited by katanarider; 09-03-2015, 01:15 AM.
        My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

There is a lot more to it than just the size of the carbs. The size of the intake valves and the compression ratio also come into play. Don't ask me how to do the calculations because I don't have a clue, but it is why in some cases a set of 34mm will perform better than a set of 36mm or 38mm.

For the record, the optimal carbs for the gsx1100 oil cooled with an aftermarket exhaust is 36mm Mikuni RS flatslides. Those are the carbs that were preferred for stock or slightly modified engines. They came stock on the gsx-r 1100 and 750's for certain years I can not remember off the top of my head. 38's are inferior in the sense that you don't really have any noticeable gains, and more of a pain to set up (you can squeeze 36mm into 34mm boots). 38's are better suited for engines that have been bored out to a larger displacement.
          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Working...
          X