X

Air fuel mixture screws

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air fuel mixture screws

I have a 2003 suzuki katana and have put the Ivans stage one jet kit, and Ivans timing advancement, and a D&D slip on. Now what would be a good start on the air/fuel mixture screws. I was told 4 turns out but i need to make sure that is correct. I also have the morgans carb tune to adjust the carbs but that can be alittle tricky. I just cant seem to get my baby to idle like it should. Any help on this would be great.

Thanks
    Bruce

Sounds like a question of Arsenic...
    But didn't Ivan tell you were to start? I thought Ivan was pretty thorough?

Comment

Start at 2.5 turns out and ride nekkid.. if no pops your good.. if it pops goto 2.75 ride nekkid etc etc.. never go 4 turns out at 3.75 if its still popping you've got a problem somewhere else.

Comment

Ivan's jet kit suggests 4 turns out but after installing mine I used the colortune on it and came up at 3.75 turns out. Start there as Ivan's kit requires more turns out of the A/F screw than any other kit.

Tmod

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
          Ivan's jet kit suggests 4 turns out but after installing mine I used the colortune on it and came up at 3.75 turns out. Start there as Ivan's kit requires more turns out of the A/F screw than any other kit.

Just to affirm, Ivans' instruction state four turns to start with, then adjust accordingly.
          How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
          How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
          How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
          How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Thats because Ivan knows what he talking about.
            The idle should be rich.
            When your running the bike hard and close the throttle if the pilot circuit is lean or even running stoich it never gives the engine a chance to cool down.
            By running it at 4 turns out there is no need to make fule/float level ajustments with his kits so you eliminate the flat spots that the stock set up and most carb kits have around 1/4 throttle. The the slightly rich mixture at idle helps warm the engine uop quicker and cool the engine faster. You can run leaner jetting up top for more power if its slightly richer down low. The last thing you want to do on a race bike or street bike is have a lean pilot circuit. When you are running hard and the temps are hot and you close the throttle if one of the lower circuits are even leaner the at WOT EGTs spike and that can cause detonation. The extra rich mixture also eliminates hot spots in the combustion chambers that can cuase pre-ignition.

Thats just one reason liquid cooled engines put out more power. You can run leaner jetting, advanced timming, and higher compression because the engine temps are regulated by the coolant and thermostat.
            98 GSX750F
            95 Honda VT600 vlx
            08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Sounds like setting them at 3.5 and calling it good might work for you.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXfs600 View Post
                Sounds like setting them at 3.5 and calling it good might work for you.
                did you read the post above your's?
                Last edited by arsenic; 01-25-2009, 03:51 PM.

Comment

I should mention as well, he says to use OEM air filter only.
                  How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                  How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                  How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                  How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                    did you read the post above your''s?
                    Ya, I read it, but four turns is too much. If it needs four turns? then going up a size on the pilots makes more cense to me.

Comment

no, 4 turns is NOT too much.

Comment

When I was talking to Ivan about his specs on the instructions he had stated that you could safely go 5 turns out before the screw will back itself out on it's own. I can only state what worked for me and that may not work for anyone else.

Tmod

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
                          I should mention as well, he says to use OEM air filter only.
                          and OEM exhaust headers with ANY slip on.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                            no, 4 turns is NOT too much.
                            I only believe this because on my carbs, while looking at the needle and inlet hole, it appeared that by 3.5 turns that the needle was completely out of the way! So four or five turns would make no difference over 3.5. Going up a size on the jets and starting at 1.5 turns would make more cense (imo).

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post

Tmod
                              did you use the colortune under load, or just at idle?

Originally posted by GSXfs600 View Post
                              I only believe this because on my carbs, while looking at the needle and inlet hole, it appeared that by 3.5 turns that the needle was completely out of the way! So four or five turns would make no difference over 3.5. Going up a size on the jets and starting at 1.5 turns would make more cense (imo).
                              don't you have a pre 98 Katana?
                              Last edited by arsenic; 01-25-2009, 03:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                              X