No announcement yet.
X

Suzuki GSXF 650 vs SV 650

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I knew a kid that used to ride an SV650 and he was 6'5. I'm 6'2 and I sat on it and I felt cramped, as you said. -I can't see how he rode it, but he seemed to like it.
    =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

I weigh about 180 and I'm too heavy for the stock suspension on the sv I would go with the GSX650F.

Comment

Well after synching and cleaning my carbs this past weekend...Fuel injection sounds good....and two cylinders sounds even better!

Comment

Originally posted by ATOMonkey View Post
          What about an SV1000?

im with atomonkey. get a 1000. Youll like it more.

Comment

Originally posted by jcv400ex View Post
            Well after synching and cleaning my carbs this past weekend...Fuel injection sounds good....and two cylinders sounds even better!
            Isn't the gsx650f fuel injected and water cooled?

Comment

Well this is my first year of riding a Kat. I've had my Roadking for 4 years and a sporster before that. My best bud has a DL 1000 V-strom and last fall he bought a SV650. I rode it and that started me looking at this type of bike. I enjoy my 750 and it seems to big for him. We trade off and on when we are riding. This summer he bought different bars for the V-strom and then put the V-Strom bars on the SV. WOW what a difference this became a great bike. I might have bought an SV if he had did this last year. Don't get me wrong I'm enjoying the crap out this Katana,but it is nice to know I can change anytime I want. So I guess what I'm saying is ride what you like. As my Moma always said that is why they make chocolate and vanillia peoples taste are different.

Comment

My opinions on the sv650 .....

as stated above they are a little cramped but light & easy to handle, they go well enough in stock form but the suspension could do with a little work to suit a heavy rider, finish is poor & maintainance is vital to keep that engine in good condition, be slack on that & it will soon sound & feel like a bag of bolts, exhausts rot quickly if used in poor weather, the whole front cylinder takes a lot of road crud which is a pita to keep looking reasonable

sv1000 low down punch even though the engine is detuned slightly from the original TL can easilly catch out an inexperianced rider or someone who's a little heavy handed in the wet
                Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

If you are seriously considering the SV650, you might want to also consider the Ninja 650:
                  sigpic

"You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you."

Comment

I tried to read through everyones comments on this thread and I don't recall seeing someone mentioning that the SV650 is a V-twin while the new GSXF 650 (Katana replacement) is a 4 cylinder bike (as stated in many of the GSXF650 threads it is the engine from the Bandit 650 as well as many of the cosmetic features)...the SV is more torque at the low end (many if not all v-twins are)...the seating is a bit different and the prices are similar...don't know if they differ in insurance prices but both are nice bikes..
                    Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
                    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

I had a 2003 Sv and now have a 2006 Kat. I prefer no hands down the SV. Lighter, funner, better throttle respnse(of course efi on the SV) Way more after market parts for the SV. But again it is all a personal choice.

Comment

I'd love to get my hands on an SV650S. I'm waiting to see if the rumours about a redesign for 2009 are true.

Comment

I sold this

and replaced it with this.

I like the SV more. The thing I like the most was the FI and it was 15 years newer than my Kat.

Comment

Interesting I've been thinking the same thing. Keep the Kat and buy a new bike. I've looked at both the GSXF and SV. I wasn't sure either except the $2000 difference on the 2007 clear out price. I keep thinking I should just go buy it?
                            Ex 1989 Katana owner, he waz a BEAST!

Comment

well, I found out the wifey is prego....so it's either a total replacement now, or keep the Kat. I want to atleast upgrade to a post 98 bike now. We'll see!

Comment

Congrats on the new comer
                                Ex 1989 Katana owner, he waz a BEAST!

Comment

Working...
                                X