DIY -- Installing Illumiglo Guages w/ pics

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY -- Installing Illumiglo Guages w/ pics

This install was on a 2005 600 Katana.

Product: SRP Illumiglo Guages (reverse) -- (aka:white guages)

These are the guages I bought from "KatanaSoldier". I purchase the whole assembly already done. I didn't want to use the new speedo, as the miles on it were a lot higher than my bike. I already disassembled the new guages KS sent me, Didnt think those steps needed to be here.. anyway..

Here are the steps I took to install everything into my original setup..

Start off by disconnecting your battery.. Then take off your Left Fairing, Right Fairing and your Center cowl. After that take off your windscreen. The front of your bike should now look like this..

Now you are ready to take out the guages. In the image below are red arrows pointing to the three 10mm nuts you need to remove. The two side nuts are simple enough to get to. The center nut is in there a bit, work at it, you'll be able to reach it.

Now that we have those three nuts off, lets go ahead and disconnect the guages from the wiring harnest. Lift the guages up and out a little bit. You should see the plug, surrounded by a rubber boot. Pull back this boot and unplug the guages.

That was simple enough, huh..? Ok, now time to disassemble the guage housing. I did this on my kitchen counter, flat, clean, and no garage dust/dirt to get into the guages once opened. Start off by taking off the 8 phillips screws on the back. Like so..

You will now be able to take out the guages from their housing. Go ahead and pull up on the guages and set them on a clean area, free of static electricity. This is what it should look like once you have taken the guages out..

Now I had to take off the needles on the guages. I used a flathead screwdriver, and pride up carefully. These are in there pretty tight, it did take some doing to get them off. Keep at it, they will come..

Needles are off !!

Once I got off the needles, I took off the faces of the guages.

I had to take these off, you more than likely will not have to. The new faces(Illumiglo's) have sticky tape on them, and the ones I bought were already stuck to the back of another set. So I basicly just swapped the old w/ the new.. Anyway. Your new guage covers will just stick right on your guage faces, so no need to take them off.

Incase your wondering whats behind them faces, here it is.

Now the next step (for me) is to put on the new faces. Simple enough. Just align up the holes and put in the small screws. Try not to over tighten these. Now I installed the new needles that came w/ my guage assembly. these are not my stock ones. they have been painted fluoresant orange. It's very important to make sure you put your needles back in the same way. You take them off at 0mph place the needle back on at 0mph.
    Same w/ your tach, and gas. Once you have done all of this, you should have something similar..

Ok, thats all done.. I noticed on the instrument case that KS sent me, there were some grooves cut into the plastic, so the wires do not get pinched. Good idea. So I follow suit and did the samething. Unfortunitly I didnt take a pic. of how to do this. But I can explain.. The simplest way to do this is to take a regular soldering iron. Map out where you want these wires to go. Then mark the spots on the plastic. Once you have done this the iron should be hot enough to melt down the plastic, making a groove for the wire to lay in. Here is what part of mine looked like..

I also made a small slot down the side of the plastic, so the wires can poke through the side w/out crimping. Here is a shot of that.

Once everything cooled. I placed the wires into the slots I just made. I then took some silicone and put a little dab over the wires where they fit into the slots, so it would hold them in place.

After I did all this I took a break, to allow the silicone to setup a bit. Good time to go clean the underside of your bike, since you already have the fairings off, ha.. Ok. back into the house to reassemble everything.
    Now that things are dry enough to put back together. I just do everything in reverse order. Put the guages back into thier housing, like so.

Now place the back panel back on and screw in the 8 screws..

Flip her over and you should have something that looks similar to this.

Now, place the instument panel back into the bike. and feed the wire through the large hole where the plug is. Go ahead and plug it in and set the boot back in its place.

Now comes the wiring part.. Now plug in the Illumiglo guage face (the wires coming from the faces) into the power inverter. I think I forgot to take a pic. of this item. No worries, you'll know what I mean. Its the square thing with a connector for the guages and two wires coming out.
    You need to splice the pos.(red) wire into a hot wire, and the brown wire into a ground wire.. The instructions say to use the headlamp but I used the front lamp light, the one above the headlights. Was much more simpler to do.
    What I did was splice into this lamp plug. I cut back the wires.

I then wrapped the power inverter wires around the splice.

Pink paper I know, all I had around, made for a better back drop.. Anyway. Remember that soldering iron you used. Get it. Now solder these wires together. You don't have to solder them, if you dont want to. I did cause I like to do things the hard way. laughs.. Ok here it is.

Now wrap it up good w/ black elec. tape. Like this.

Remember the power inverter. Well here it is.. the inverter comes w/ about 2' of wires. So I bundled them together and taped them up real well..

Once I had everything taped up, I zip-tied them to the bike. The image below shows the spots where I tied them, and tucked the inverter. I made sure that the inverter iwas secured real well, not in a spot where bumps in the road would move it and make a noise while riding, and or come loose..

The arrow to the right is the inverter, the middle is the zip-tie, and the left one is the light plug. Mind you I allowed enough slack so I can plug the lamp back in w/ out having to stretch it or pull out any wires etc..

Now all that's left to do is bolt her back down. This is a pain, as that middle nut was hard for me to get back on. With some patience I got it done. Now we can reconnect the battery and test her out..
    I couldnt get a decent image of the guages at night. I put that pink paper over my flash, thats why it looks pink.. New camera, still learning it, didnt have time to read the instructions, as I wanted to do this mod first.. This is the best I could do.

Day look..

Night look..

Hope this helps someone. It's not a hard job to do, kinda fun. Sorry if I missed something or a step, but I think I covered it ok. If you have any Q's just PM me, I'll be more than happy to help ya out. Please don't mind the typo's and or spelling.. It's late.. I think this took me longer to do than the mod. Laughs..

Wanted to end by thanking KatanaSoldier for selling me my new guages, and shipping wicked fast..!! Thanks bro..

-=Peace

Thanks Az!! I am about to order a set of those guages for my 06 Kat, and I was wondering just how hard the install would be. Looks simple enough (though time consuming), so I have made up my mind to order some.

Thanks a ton!
    It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

It's a simple mod. Took me a few hours to do. Only cause I took tons of pics(only posted 1/10th of what I took), and had to wait for the silicone to dry a bit..etc.. Just glad to pass on info to others.

-=Peace

Comment

AZ, excellent write up. They look amazing! Especially the night shot!

Mods this should be a sticky!
        "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
        JOHN 16:33

Comment

Good work dude, looks sweet!
          Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
          18v Rigid Drill
          Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
          New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

awesome write up. but one thing you dont need and i wouldn't advise taking the needles off. i know you were swapping the whole face, but if you just get the stick on white faces they're made to specifically slide over the needle cafefully and stuck on.

Comment

He had to take off the needles though to put on the orange ones I sent.
              "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
              JOHN 16:33

Comment

Originally posted by noodlemice
                awesome write up. but one thing you dont need and i wouldn't advise taking the needles off. i know you were swapping the whole face, but if you just get the stick on white faces they're made to specifically slide over the needle cafefully and stuck on.
                Originally posted by AZCyco
                I had to take these off, you more than likely will not have to. The new faces(Illumiglo's) have sticky tape on them, and the ones I bought were already stuck to the back of another set. So I basicly just swapped the old w/ the new.. Anyway. Your new guage covers will just stick right on your guage faces, so no need to take them off.
                Yea, that's why I put this part in the write up.. Even the instructions on the paper you get tell you you dont have to do this.

Thanks all for the comments.

-=Peace

Comment

Question for anyone who's done this..

Just got to ride the bike at night time, guages look nice. BUT... They seem to be dull. Anyone have a mod, or a solution to make them brighter?
                  I was thinking maybe cause I used the tird eye as the power source, it's not getting enough juice to power the guages to their full capacity..??

Ideas..??

Thanks..

Comment

Nice write up & pics. Isn't there a way to turn back the mileage on the dash?

Comment

I looked for something that would allow me to turn back the Odometer, but I didnt see anything off hand.. I wasnt about to goof around w/ the electronics, asI would prolly fry something and or damage the whole cluster.
                      this is one reason why I used my own guage cluster, rather than the one that had around 40K miles on it. Mine had 8K on it..

I love the look of the guages, just wish they were a bit brighter. trying to research something that might make them glow a bit more.

Comment

Wow, that was a great write-up! Thanks!

Looks great, too!

-Dan

Comment

Nice write-up. This should be put in the Katana How-To's & FAQ's section
                          Roops Photography|facebook|
                          03 GSXR 1000
                          04 Honda Aquatrax Jetski
                          Past: 92 Yamaha Seca II -> 04 Kat 600 -> 92 Kat w/gsxr 750 swap -> 01 GSXR 750 -> 03 GSXR 1000

Comment

That looks great, does anyone know were KS got them from originally. I have seen a few advertised, but man I like those ones the best.

RIP - CyberPoet 20/09/2009

Comment

You can do a google search and find them..

Google search results

Hope this helps..

Comment

Working...
                              X