X

Hopefully starting to disassemble this weekend

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hopefully starting to disassemble this weekend

any tips, tricks or anything? I've never messed with a bike before. A friend said it's pretty much allen wrenchs, socket wrenches, and plyers to take it apart. Sound about right?
    Me
    http://www.myspace.com/alllostthings

I'm a noob at this stuff too and found this tip helpful...

Buy yourself a box of zip-baggies and as you disassemble take digital pics and separate all your bolts, washers, etc into baggies for different parts of the bike labelling along the way. Place all of these into a box as you dissassemble and then during reassembly you should be able to start with the first baggie and work your way down to the end. That's how I've been doing it and it works great.
    There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.

Comment

And you are disassembling?????.........

Comment

I'm disassembeling the 92 Kat 600 you made fun of in the Pics and Flicks thread....with the chain that fell off....
        Me

Comment

I agree with CnC totally on the baggies and boxes concept, I got my 93 600 engine, minus the block, bagged and tagged in seperate boxes.

I recommend that you go to a Home Depot or a Lowes and buy a Pair of Mechanix Gloves. I gave myself a really nasty cut on my hand when I was popping the torque on the cam journals, hand slipped and my pinky ate the lip of the spark plug tube leaving a good chunk of skin behind in the process. (ask Breeze) Bled like a mofo, but hey we all do some stupid stuff in life and this was one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by CCnCoke
            I'm a noob at this stuff too and found this tip helpful...

Buy yourself a box of zip-baggies and as you disassemble take digital pics and separate all your bolts, washers, etc into baggies for different parts of the bike labelling along the way. Place all of these into a box as you dissassemble and then during reassembly you should be able to start with the first baggie and work your way down to the end. That's how I've been doing it and it works great.

Yup this was a tip I out put there and it works so well especially if you get interrupted for the day. Don't forget the Sharpie. Mark the bags prior to even taking it apart and it will make it that much smoother.

Also have a blanket to lay the fairings on so they don't get carved up.
            "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
            JOHN 16:33

Comment

all good ideas most of the bolts and what not are either allen wrenches or 10mm or 12mm depending on what your doing tho

Comment

Thanks to everyone who has once again offered help. That's a very good idea tha tI honestly never would have thought of. I'll be carving most of the bike apart. The engine and transmission are going to be junked, and as the bike has been sitting for 3 years, everything else metal must be cleaned. The carbs have been jetted so those need to come out and be cleaned and the tank has a bit of rust in it that needs to be dealt with. I'll be busy for a while....
                Me

Comment

GET A MANUAL !!!! Sounds like you'll need it if you're going THAT deep into it and have to ask HERE . Yeah , MOSTLY sockets and allen wrenches . 10mm , 12mm , 17mm , 4/5/6mm allens , tourqe wrench for reassmebly mostly , but works as a breaker bar , too . 32mm or 1 1/4" for front sprocket , that's MOST of what you'll need right there . 8MM will be needed for small things (of course) .... best bet would be to buy a set of GOOD sockets (I broke a crappy one yesterday at LESS than 50ft/lbs ) and allen sockets .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by AllLostThings
                    I'm disassembeling the 92 Kat 600 you made fun of in the Pics and Flicks thread....with the chain that fell off....
                    Oh.. What the whole thing?
                    Wow, yeah baggies, lots of boxes to separate the baggies.
                    And like others said, its shocking but with about 10 tools you can strip the bike.

And I wasn't making fun of the bike..

Comment

Cool...I got a bunch of bags at work today and I
                      'm pretty well tooled up to get into it I guess. I agree, the manual would be a good thing too but like I said, I'm just starting out and I figured I'd ask around for tricks, tips, and whatnot before I really had a chance to go anywhere near the bike this weekend.

Black_peter...sorry man. my mistake.
                      Me

Comment

Manual is a must!
                        You dont need to be a mechanical genius, but you do need to be patient. If your bike doesn not have a center stand, you will to get a swing arm stand, at the very least. If you are doing anything to the front end, you will need to make, or buy, one of those too. I got all of the answers I couldnt figure out myself, on this site. There are alot of Kat-savy dudes on this site! Good luck!
                        "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy"

"True wisdom, only comes from pain"

Comment

Handier to have the manual in hand but don't forget they're available for download here. I believe tdrcomm has them up on his server. Do a search and you'll find 'em.
                          There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.

Comment

Working...
                          X