X

Installing SpeedoHealer - How To w/ Pics

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing SpeedoHealer - How To w/ Pics

Okay, got tired of reading the speedo at 90 and watching me barely pass the semis, so I decided to get the speedohealer and install it so I can have peace of mind at knowing how fast I'm actually going. For those of you who don't know, speedohealer helps calibrate your speedometer/odometer. I have an '05 750 and just got new sprockets +3 in the rear, so I was running a 15/48 setup. Thus, my speed was reading WAY to high, (as if our stock indicated wasn't off already). You can purchase this at www.speedohealer.com , me thinks a great piece, especially if you tweak your sprockets Anywho, asked around for some how to's on this and didn't find any so I installed it tonight and took some pics for all of you to see. Let me know if you all have any questions. Hope you like my lovely assistant (my oldest daughter Rayann)..............

First, ya gotta take off the left fairing to access the speed sensor located just under the left fairing (thanks Trinc for the heads up, otherwise I'd be looking forever!) Once you have the fairing off, your looking for the speed sensor which is circled below in green........

This picture is a closeup where my lovely assistant points out the speed sensor you need to unplug. Careful, there is another plug that looks like the same 3pole connection but in white. The speed sensor wires are orange black and pink I believe. The other connection is sitting right behind it and the connector is white you will see it @ about 2 o'clock from the speed sensor(in the black sleeve.)

Next, what your gonna do is disconnect the speed sensor connection and plug both the male and female connectors to your Suzuki Harness kit that you need to order w/ the speedo healer. In this picture, you will see the red cord is the harness kit, and I have now plugged the appropriate sides of the speed sensor into the wire harness.......(sorry for the blurry pic)

Next, you plug the other end of the wire harness into the speedo healer and you are done, almost, ya just gotta program it..... pic below shows the other end of the harness plugged into the speedo healer box. Rayann is holding the cord and the box is hanging, it's only maybe 2"x1" (the speedo healer)

Once you are set, you run the cord through your frame safely w/ tie downs and attached it via double side tape into a safe location. I put it on the side of my area where the owner manual is kept. All that is left to do is the calibration of the unit depending on your needs. You can do the calibration calculations on the speedo healer website. In my case, I took into consideration going from a 15/45 setup to a 15/48 setup. Using the online calculater, I had to adjust my speedo -12.1% to get the accurate reading! Once installed, I test rode and man, I am back to reality. My inflated ego is now gone......

On a side note, the statement of going up in sprockets takes away from top end speed, I was able to get to 120mph, legitimate this time I could've probably gotten more but ran out of room on the elevated carpool lane When I started to throttle down, I noticed my revs must've been close to red but at 120, I didn't notice where the revs were at, looking at the road and speed

Well those are my tales of the speedohealer install, hope this helps you all, let me know if you have any questions and I will answer the best I can.
    Ray - Thank you, may I have another?

thanks

Thanks bro.. 8)
    Great info,
    In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only, truth.
    www.myspace.com/adamerogers

Comment

Cool. That looks easy enough.

Looks like you have a Vanna White in training.
      How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
      How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
      How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
      How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

this needs to be stickied!!!

Comment

Awesome. Good to have an assistant!

Comment

Excellent training. I am saving this.
            "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
            JOHN 16:33

Comment

Yeah, there's a tremendous peace of mind riding and actually knowing what speed your going! Especially if you've changed your sprockets!

Comment

Thanks for the write-up - good stuff! Give your daughter a gold star for helping out too!

BTW with a +3 on the rear I'm just curious what kind of RPM you turn at highway speeds. I have stock sprockets and I find (in top gear) speed to be roughly engine RPM/100 then +20. In otherwords if you're turning 5,500 RPM that's 5,500/100 = 55 + 20 = 75 MPH. If you're turning 7,000 RPM it's 7,000/100 = 70 +20 = 90 MPH.

I like the idea of tweaking gearing but OTOH most of my riding is freeway and I don't really want to be beating on my engine/drivetrain turning 9,000 RPM (or whatever) just to get 80 MPH. 6,000 seems to work fine and the bike seems comfortable there - but I'd at least like to know so I can contemplate whether or not it's feasable to swap sprockets for canyon runs or whatever. . .
                ---Jeff (Long Beach Represent!)

'99 Katana 750 (Metallic Space Blue / Matte Silky Gray Metallic)
                Plus some cars.

"Never Break More than You Fix..."

Comment

well pop put it this way in socal we always put a crap load of miles on freeway, but it's also good to have pop since most of it is lane splitting anyways. I put on 19k miles now in about 14 months so I do mostly freeways, as seen on the strip on my wheel ..... This is the reason I was really hesitant on doing +3 on the back, didn't want the rpms killing me. don't know if you read my thread a while ago but wasn't trying to go +3 on the back I thought our stock was 47 but its 45 so hence +3, was only trying to go +1, oh well. decided to try it out since it was on already and not bad at all! I just to be about 6500rpm around 80'ish I believe but now I'm around 7000rpm, not bad though! in my opinion a safe upgrade to ride in socal where a little extra pep can help you survive these freeways! if your in the southbay (gardena area) give me a buzz, I'll let you try it out and see if you like, I'm always in the lbc too, lbsu alumn

Comment

with their online calculator, do you think the way you calibrated is close enough? instead of doing the "precise" calculation?

Comment

Thank you Seypea , this is a GREAT how 2
                      sigpic

Faster, Faster, Faster... Until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." Hunter S. Thompson

" Rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow "

Comment

I had one of these on my TLR. Great product.
                        I like you. When the world is mine your death will be quick and painless.

Comment

Mods, shouldn't this be in the How-to section ?
                          Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
                          - Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by hellcamp
                            Don't sound like a bad idear .....
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                              Originally posted by hellcamp
                              Don't sound like a bad idear .....
                              Good Idear

Thanks for taking the time to do the writeup seypea , we appreciate it !

Comment

Working...
                              X