Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Are the Kat 750 and GSXR 750 engines totally different?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the Kat 750 and GSXR 750 engines totally different?

Is there a comparison website? Will a new gsxr engine fit on a new katana?

Just curious because I see so many people stating how much more the performer the GSXR is.

jC

yes, they are totally different beasts. Kat 750 = carborated oil/air cooled, GSXR = EFI liquid cooled.

GSXR engine has significantly more power... which is nice for track days, riding like a squid, and making insurance companies richer.

KAT engine is nice if you want something that is easy and fun to ride on the street, easy to maintain, and cheaper to insure.
    I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Join the Zietgeist Movement
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3847743189197#

Comment

There are oil/air cooled GSXR engines out there. Those engines are from the years 88-93. In 94 I think that they went to the water cooled ones. But you can put a 88-93 motor in. My 89 Kat as a 88 GSXR 750 Slingshot motor in it. With a little time and know how you can put a newer GSXR engine in Katana. I would just do the Bandit 1200 swap.
      www.mopowersports.com

Comment

so what year bandit will fit on my 05 katana?

JC

Comment

93 is the year they went to liquid cooled.

Anything 88-92 will fit, with some slight modification of course.

Now, if you really wanted to put a new gixxer engine in your kat, sure, it could be done, but you would have to fab up new motor mounts, and do some other custom work, but it could definately be done. It would just be a LOT of work, and I do mean a LOT. May not be so bad if you have access to a machine shop, welder, and all the materials though.
          Kan-O-Gixxer!
          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
          -Ohlins Susupension
          -Various Other Mods

Comment

Working...
          X