X

Sproket help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sproket help

I am in need of replacing my chain and sprockets before the riding season starts. I am debating on weather I should change the size of them to increase acceleration. What is everyone's thought on this? Should I go with a 14 tooth up front and a 46 tooth in the back? Is there any downside to doing this?

You'll lose top end, if that's important to you. Gas mileage on the interstate won't be as good, since your RPMs will be higher at the speed limit than they would be before the sprocket size change.

Comment

I don't think top end is too important since I wont be going 120mph. Gas mileage isn't too important either. May be a little concerned about the higher RPM's on the highway, might make for an uncomfortable long term ride? do I need to make any other adjustments? Will the spedo still show correct speeds?

Comment

There will be more vibrations on the HWY. I'm not sure how uncomfortable it would be long term, but I imagine more uncomfortable(vibrations, and sound). I just put new stock size sprocket and chain size on mine. The speed all in all is pretty good for me. Faster than most cars around me, so I'm happy.

I'm not sure if you'll need a speed healer or not for the change since I haven't done it. Someone else will have to answer that one...I know I've seen this question come up often on this site. The search feature should pull up everything you need to know.
        Last edited by Xerrith; 03-22-2017, 09:14 AM.

Comment

I will search through the threads to see if I can find anyone who has done this before.

Comment

Pre or post kat? Post will 100% be off. Pres have a sensor at the front wheel, so not sure there.
            Don't change the front sprocket smaller. Tighter turn radius will prematurely wear your chain. Check out gearingcommander.com, see how much rpms will change with different sprocket changes.
            Highway speeds will have more vibrations. Minimize them by keeping the carbs well synced and changing the A/F screws to 2.5 turns out. Leaner bikes will run hotter, and vibrate more, so this will richen it a teeny bit.
            1998 Katana 750
            1992 Katana 1100
            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

It's an 05 750. Not sure I understand all of what you said but it seems like it may not be worth it??

Comment

Motorcycle speed and sprocket calculator with bike database for gearing, sprockets, tires and chains of over 1900 bikes. Request yours to be added as well.
                "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                spammer police
                USAF veteran
                If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I don't see my bike on there. its an 05 750

Comment

98-04 should be 98-06, same bike
                    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran

Comment

Your speedo will be off.
                      Increase the rear, don't decrease the front.
                      1998 Katana 750
                      1992 Katana 1100
                      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Agree
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran

Comment

Working...
                        X