X

Fuel in Oil??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel in Oil??

Ok guys I did do a quick search and didnt see anything that answered my question so please dont kill me if I missed it I'm sorry. So lets get to it,

I was given a 2001 750 Katana. The bike has been parked for about a year in a covered garage with all the fairings pulled off (previous owner was gonna do cafe racer mod). I was told the bike was running when it was parked and began to be disassembled. I was told though that they were having a fuel problem when it was running, of fuel leaking from somewhere and it also leaking into the engine oil.

This is my first real street bike and I have pulled the gas tank and thoroughly cleaned it out and began inspecting fuel lines for cracks and holes. I haven't had a chance to start the bike cause from sitting the tank had a small amount of rust in it and I wanted to clean it first. But basically before i begin reassembling everything where would I begin looking for a fuel in oil problem?

When the float valves dont seal and you leave it on prime fuel can run into the cylinders past the rings. Carbs need to be taken apart soaked and cleaned with new o-rings. You petcock might have an issue if fuel flows when in the on position. Change the oil before running it!
    1989 GSXF 750 Katana.
    V&H supersport exhaust, ported head, GSXR cams
    Michelin PR2's, RT fork springs and R6 shock

Comment

Ty sir I will look for rebuild kits for the carbs. Also, ive heard that running it with fuel in oil can scar the cylinders? If this is true what should i look for when I do get it running to see if any serious damage has been done?

Comment

Well I drained the oil this evening and there was so much fuel in the oil it was like water when it drained. I could tell it wasnt water just cause of the smell of fuel that was coming from it. At this point I am wondering if it is even worth it to continue any further working on it. What do you guys think??

Comment

Originally posted by GringoBandito View Post
          Well I drained the oil this evening and there was so much fuel in the oil it was like water when it drained. I could tell it wasnt water just cause of the smell of fuel that was coming from it. At this point I am wondering if it is even worth it to continue any further working on it. What do you guys think??
          Worth it?

Are you under the assumption that fuel in the oil would have caused damage? If so, that's not the case. Fix the carbs, change the oil, run the heck out of it.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
            Worth it?

Are you under the assumption that fuel in the oil would have caused damage? If so, that's not the case. Fix the carbs, change the oil, run the heck out of it.

Krey
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran
            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
              From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
              this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Yes I was under the assumption the fuel in the oil could of caused to much damage for the bike to be salvageable. If you guys are saying it couldn't have then I will gladly continue. Just had me worried.

Comment

Drain the oil cooler also if the fuel was way saturated with fuel. You'll need crush washers for that.
                  "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran
                  If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
                  X