Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

How to properly hide or safeguard wires?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to properly hide or safeguard wires?

https://imgur.com/a/aBT06 (gallery)

Any suggestions on how to cover these wires? I've heard suggestions of heat shrink wrapping but was wondering if you guys have any other suggestions or if that is the best route to take. I don't mind putting a fairing on, just not positive on if I can only put on one to cover this, or a new headlight/gauge cluster. Basically I want it to be safe for me.

Thanks guys
    1998 GSX750F Katana
    New Rider

Electrical tape/shrink tape then split loom and dielectric grease for water proofing. You could paint the plugs or wrap them in tape.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Put the plastics back on?
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
        Electrical tape/shrink tape then split loom and dielectric grease for water proofing. You could paint the plugs or wrap them in tape.
        Could you explain what split the loom and paint the plugs means? Sorry I'm not experienced with bikes or electrical work.

Originally posted by steves View Post
        Put the plastics back on?
        I bought it off craigslist like this and he didn't have the fairings.
        Last edited by Kingslayah; 08-09-2016, 10:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        1998 GSX750F Katana
        New Rider

Comment

Go to an auto parts store, you'll see split loom in the electrical section. (Plastic loom protector) just paint the white plugs black so, they blend into the bike.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Thanks man! And just apply the dielectric greaser all over the wires? Then wrap them with electrical tape/shrinker and then put the split loom over top?
            1998 GSX750F Katana
            New Rider

Comment

the grease goes into the connectors to keep water out. not on the outside. pull connectors apart and grease the contacts then reconnect. the split loom goes around the wires to protect them against abrasion.
              never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Originally posted by KAT TOY View Post
                the grease goes into the connectors to keep water out. not on the outside. pull connectors apart and grease the contacts then reconnect. the split loom goes around the wires to protect them against abrasion.
                Thanks for the clarification Kat Toy! I appreciate it.
                1998 GSX750F Katana
                New Rider

Comment

Working...
                X