X

Katana minus the exhaust

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katana minus the exhaust

Removed my exhaust today and thought I'd see how it sounds. It sounds like a super beast. I called the police and checked if it was legal to ride without one. They said that in Arlington Texas, there's no law against it and it was ok to ride as long as I didnt exceed a certain noise level. Well I dont know about the noise level, but I swear, I could almost feel the ground rumble below me. I rode on the freeway for a bit, man its loud. I never knew a Katana could sound so beefy. I dont want to keep the exhaust off for long though, I dont want to piss anyone. Coming to my question, are there any adverse effects of riding without an exhaust? and how is the torque and horsepower affected.

skotty
    2003 Black/Gray Hayabusa

With great Horsepower, comes great Responsibility!

Well Skotty, I'm glad you're having fun.

I'm sure Cyber Poet will be able to write a novel on the topic. lol. Though I'm not the most savy, I do know a few things for sure:

-You will run very lean due to increased airflow
    -Thusly, you will likely run very hot
    -There will be a tremendous loss of power in the mid range (like the entire mid-range) due to lack of backpressure
    -It will be tremendously loud (you know that one already)

So I really don't think there are any physical problems that can be caused by riding without a can. Though it's possible that the increased heat causes detonation (when fuel-air mixture actually ignites before entering the cylinder due to flowing over hot spots in the engine) and it's possible that the spark plugs deteriorate due to the heat caused by the lean mixture.

What else? I guess it's also possible that there be issues keeping fasteners tight due to the increased vibration... shrug?

Oh, and the loss of power is never good.

Nick
    My Karma ran over my Dogma.

Comment

Wow, didnt know it would affect it that bad. Thanks for the info man, I'll put it back today.

Skotty
      2003 Black/Gray Hayabusa

Comment

I saw some footage of a guy with (I think) a litre GXS-R with a straight pipe on it. Everyone made fun because they knew he was giving away a lot of power but MAN was it ever loud and beefy!

He rode it around like that for a little while so I don`t think he experienced all those things right away. I`m sure you`d be alright to go fart around on it just for fun before putting the exhaust on. Just be sure to keep track of the heat.

And if you do, try and get some video or sound clips!
        My Karma ran over my Dogma.

Comment

Thanks again Nick. Its louder than a Harley or one of those little civics with huge exhausts, so I think I'll put it on before I piss my neighbors off.
          2003 Black/Gray Hayabusa

Comment

put a scorpion slip on on.it sounds real good.

Comment

If it's loud you want, nothing beats D&D
              ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

Put the pipe back on if you don't want burnt valves .
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I got a Two Brothers exaust and I get comments on how deep it sounds, even though its not terribly loud.

Comment

I've already put it back on. I just wish I had recorded the sound before I put it back on.

Skotty
                    2003 Black/Gray Hayabusa

Comment

Originally posted by goose491
                      I'm sure Cyber Poet will be able to write a novel on the topic. lol.
                      Actually, you're wrong. I'm not planning on saying anything (you did a good job ) about the mechanical aspects. All I'm going to mention is permanent hearing loss -- wear the highest-dampening ear plugs you can get your hands on to protect you from the 118-128 dB noise of running just the header.

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

watch out you don't want to burn out the points

Comment

Points ?

Sorry to be a know it all but the kats dont use points ? did you mean plugs.
                          Anyhow everyone has covered what I know to be the adverse effects apart from the unwanted attention from the law, valves, midrange power, heat from running lean, also being aware of where the exhaust is exiting without the cans on heating a tyre can be bad! If you enjoyed the sound maybe a nice aftermarket 4 into one or maybe some slipon cans. I am running a gsxr system on mine and it sounds awesome. Something to ponder... we will be forced to use electric bikes one day so enjoy all the experiences-sounds smells POWER while you can, I have decided to get another V8 and enjoy it before fuel gets to 2.00 australian a litre.
                          1996 Suzuki gsx-f 750 fighter
                          1988 Yamaha tzr 250 with tt350 fourstroke fitted
                          2004 Schwinn stingray with 80cc twostroke fitted

Comment

Working...
                          X