X

Never kick a swingarm stand

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never kick a swingarm stand

Reason number 9 for loving my Katana ... The center stand.

This is what happens when a dude like me thinks he knows enough to skip over simple basic steps.

I also have a GSXR 1000 that is about 6 months old and yesterday it was time to lube the chain again. I've done it hundreds of times. But of course this requires lifing the bike with a swingarm stand. The type I have lifts the bike with two "L" shaped brackets which is more clumcy that the PitBull type stand but it works.

It wasn't on straight and rather than put the bike down and do it right I figured a good swift kick would straigten it up like i wanted ....

The "stealership" says a replacement is $500 !!!! I can get a set of Shark Skinz race plastics for that much !!!! So I straigtened out that crack and pulled out my trusty Box-O-Decals and it doesn't look so bad.
    Race On The Track ... Never On The Street

just for in the future i also have one of those stands you mentioned before with the L brackets that lifts the back end up off the ground. i ALWAYS have my girlfriend sit on the bike with the kickstand up and sitting up straight and then i lift the stand while she is still on the bike. something i found to be careful of is to make sure the stand does'nt hit the rear sprocket and the wheel wont turn. this can seriously damage your sprocket. oh yea before my girl even gets off the bike i give it a good shove back and forth while FIRMLY holding onto the rear handle above the fender. that way if the bike tips either way my girl can put her feet down and i still have ahold of the handle and it aint going no where. the first day i got my bike it almost fell off the stand and it would have if it wasn't for her being on the bike and me holding on the the rear. i know those stands can be pretty tricky to do yourself and i highly reccomend you find a friend or whoever that is strong enough to support the bike for a few seconds while you line up the stand

Comment

That's a good idea. Thanks mac.
      I think my wife might enjoy the notion that she's helping.
      I'll probably get a spool-type swing arm stand eventually.
      Race On The Track ... Never On The Street

Comment

Lord have mercy. That's a nasty spill. Most tips'll get scuffs at best. Your fairings look like they were made of porcelain. LOL Seriously though...terribly painful to look at. Specially for something so silly as a tump over. Tell everyone you were stuntin. Check Ebay. I've gotten a whole set of fairings off there for 100 or less a piece.

Comment

Check here.

I assumed it was an 05. If you go back one step, they have from 2000 to 2005. Worst priced peice of plastic was $360 painted.
          Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
          -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
          -Terence

Comment

Ouch. Sorry to hear about the learning experience

Comment

one word-SPOOLS!

sucks about the fall, but i'm betting you'll never do that again!

Comment

Working...
              X