X

'91 Katana Special Ed?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '91 Katana Special Ed?

Ok, I have a question for all the pre-98 Katana gurus. The Clymer's book says that there was a "Special Edition" Katana 750 and provides settings for the bike that differ from the "standard" Katana 750.

My question is how can you tell if a 750 is the Special Edition? My Kat has a dual exhaust which I have not found or seen on any pics from any other '91 Kats. Any clues or ideas?
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I believe all pre 98's have dual exhausts. Mine did.I don't believe its a special though. My clymer manual has the gsxr 750 in it as well.By the way my dual exhausts are lonnnnngggg gone. and I'm all the better for it!

Comment

Originally posted by slayergsxf1
      .I don't believe its a special though.
      All our Kats are special..
      Because we love them!!

I knew there was a GSXR SE....
      Never heard of the Kat SE..

Comment

The 1000 units of the special edition GSX1100SL Katana were were sold very soon (a story tells that all of them were sold the very day the model was launched). To meet the customers demands Suzuki continued to mass produce the Katana and released in Septemer 1990 the GSX1100SSL . The model was similar to the SL except for the color, now red/silver. No new models were launched until GSX1100SR in 1994 (see next page).

From Suzukicycles.org
        But this is the "old school Kat not the GSXF

Comment

From the Clymer 600 Katana manual discription:

This repair manual covers Suzuki GSX600F Katana (GSX600) 1988-1996; GSXR750 1986-1987; GSXR750R Limited Edition 1986; and GSXR1100 1986-1987 sportbikes.

I think you may have the wrong manual man...
          This is the Kat 600/GSXR750..
          You need the Kat 750/GSXR750 one..

Comment

First check to make sure that you do in fact have the right manual. pre98 750 Clymer should cover both early GSXR and Katana 750 88-96 with a blue '93 on the cover.

Assuming that you do have the right manual then what they may be referencing is the early models (90-92 I think) that were built using the gsxr slingshot motor. As I recall it was only put in for 3 years but I don't know that there was really any special denotation for it because I believe it was done across the entire Kat750 line and not just a special order bike.

Identification should be available by the engine number (located top left of the clutch cover on the case), vin number (frame) or by specific year. Other identifiers may be internal such as nut adjusters on the valves instead of shims or vice versa.
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Working...
            X