X

opinions on jet kit....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opinions on jet kit....

ok i have a 1997 600 i was just wanting everyones opinion on which one to go with? i was gonna go with dynajet but which stage? i ask the guy at my local shop and he said stay away from stage three....this is my first bike, i dont know too much how to work on them but am wanting to learn i do have a clymer book on it....
    sigpic
    -Cory-
    1997 Katana 600

-see my garage for mods-

'pegs are down for you anytime CP'

i looked around for a bit and i have gotten many more recommendations for factory pro than i did for dynojet.
    i have a factory pro kit on order now

Comment

I'm a dynojet fan for novice mechanics. During my time as a tech, I installed LOTS of these kits, and 95% of the time, their recommended settings are close enough that you don't have to mess with it again. It works right out of the box, first shot.

The factory pro kit is probably a better kit overall, but from what i've seen they are geared more towards "experienced" (minimal experience) carb tuners, who don't mind taking the bike apart 5 times to get it just right.

If you want the best kit, factory pro is it. If you don't know what you're doing and just want it to run good, dynojet works well and I think they're easier.

Stage 3 is for carbs with no airbox and individual pod filters. Don't do it. It kills your bottom end power and your gas milage in exhange for 2 or 3 horsepower at 11,000 rpm. Not worth it unless you're racing.

Comment

Stay away from the DJ kits as the needle leaves alot to be desired as far as midrange calibration.

Go with the Factory pro and you will be fine.

Tmod

Comment

+1 on Factory Pro...

I tried DJ and was not impressed at all.

Be sure to inspect your emulsion tubes for wear when you swap.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

emulsion tubes??? yeah the guy at the shop said the stage three is only for wot all the time, he said he preffered dj over all of them. he also told me if i took the carbs off together i wouldnt have to sync them....
            sigpic
            -Cory-
            1997 Katana 600

-see my garage for mods-

Comment

Emulsion tubes are also referred to as needle jets, The brass thing that the needles slide up and down in.

Your guy is probably pushing DJ as he makes more on them, Just a guess though.

Stick with Factory Pro and you will be fine.

Tmod

Comment

Dynojet is okay, Factory Pro is the best. You will have to sync your carbs if you want your bike to run it's best after the jetting is done.
                'REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE
                ALIVE SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS
                ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'

sigpic----------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by overboost07 View Post
                  emulsion tubes??? yeah the guy at the shop said the stage three is only for wot all the time, he said he preffered dj over all of them. he also told me if i took the carbs off together i wouldnt have to sync them....
                  Long response, but all relevant... learn from my experiances...

93 Kat 750.

First jetkit, stage 3 dynojunk kit. 10 years, 5+ shops, many more than that additional mechanics trying to tune the bike right... always had the same issue.

Could not start off from a stop without bogging down (flooding) without keeping the RPMs over 6k.

It's a great race option... over 8K and it screamed. I've had good friends on gsxrs, ninjas, etc... and all of them had a real hard time keeping up pulling out of a curve.

Riding around trying to keep some semblance of going the speed limit, or oh man... riding in town stop light to stop light... You don't wanna do that. No to the stage 3.

Now, getting a stage one Factory Pro jetkit means your going to get new main jets, and needles (best designed ones of all the kits IMHO). Those needles fit down into your emulstion tubes. Emulsion tubes feed air into the fuel sucked up from the main jets to creat a fine mist. The jets actually screw into the bottom of the emulsion tubes. If your emulsion tubes are worn, the mist created isn't as fine, and you end up with less combustion of the fuel. Basically.... reduced power, lower mpg, and possible issues like a studder of the engine at certain RPMs.

Factory Pro has a nice link that shows emulsion tube wear. I just replaced mine because I was not able to tune out a studder at 4-5.5k RPMs. It made a HUGE difference, and the bike now runs very smooth and significantly more power than just the jetkit alone.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Jet kit

I have used Factory Pro and Ivan's performance. Ivan's performance is in my bike now and I have had no problems having to tweak it at all.
                    Ivan's is a great kit and easy to install for about anyone.

But thats just my opinion .

Comment

Originally posted by tmk7c9 View Post
                      I'm a dynojet fan for novice mechanics. During my time as a tech, I installed LOTS of these kits, and 95% of the time, their recommended settings are close enough that you don't have to mess with it again. It works right out of the box, first shot.

The factory pro kit is probably a better kit overall, but from what i've seen they are geared more towards "experienced" (minimal experience) carb tuners, who don't mind taking the bike apart 5 times to get it just right.

If you want the best kit, factory pro is it. If you don't know what you're doing and just want it to run good, dynojet works well and I think they're easier.

Stage 3 is for carbs with no airbox and individual pod filters. Don't do it. It kills your bottom end power and your gas milage in exhange for 2 or 3 horsepower at 11,000 rpm. Not worth it unless you're racing.
                      This post right here. Dropped stage one DJ in my Kat6 and it was just dandy.
                      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                      Originally posted by soulless kaos
                      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

My recommendations:
                        98+ : Ivan's (www.ivansperformanceproducts.com)
                        Pre-98 : FactoryPro (www.factorypro.com)

DynoJet (also sold under the K&N label for a while) jet kits for the Kats leave much to be desired, with IMHO sloppy engineering and bad tolerances. I have zero clue if their products for all motorcycles reflect this same level of lack of attention to detail, but their 88-06 Kat products certainly do, and I've long suspected that they designed the Kat jetkits based on solely on the type of carbs in use rather than on the entirety of the bike's engine/intake/exhaust systems as a whole.

As for stages:
                        Stage 1 - designed to fatten up mid-range torque for typical rider street use.
                        Stage 1.1 - FactoryPro marketing term for a stage 1 using of titanium needles instead of stock steel needles.
                        Stage 2 - not offered for the Kats from any factory, designed to improve more than a stage 1, less than a stage 3 and be tied to a different intake or different exhaust (but not both).
                        Stage 3 - Designed for the true street-racer and track-day-specific bike, engineered for heavy increases in power for the upper 35-40% of the RPM range (centered around torque-peak) at the expense of lower-end/midrange, and designed specifically to work with aftermarket freer-flowing intakes & exhaust systems from end-to-end. This is not what you want for day-to-day driving in general.
                        Stage 7 - not offered for the Kats from any factory, designed specifically for drag and certain forms of dedicated track racing, engineered for massive increases in the very upper reaches of the RPM range (typically top 20%) at the expense of everything else, and designed to be tied into a massively freer flowing intake & exhaust systems (often zero intake filtering and virtually straight-pipes on the exhaust). Stage 7 kits are traditionally only offered for direct-slide carbs, not CV carbs, because of the nature of the use (if you're at a stage 7, you don't want to be running CV carbs anyway!).

Cheers
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

ok im fixing to order a jet kit, going to go with a factory pro. will this kit be sufficient since i have an aftermarket exhaust? reason i ask is dj offers a few different jets to make it a "stage 2" but i couldnt find anything like that for fp.
                          sigpic
                          -Cory-
                          1997 Katana 600

-see my garage for mods-

Comment

Originally posted by overboost07 View Post
                            ok im fixing to order a jet kit, going to go with a factory pro. will this kit be sufficient since i have an aftermarket exhaust? reason i ask is dj offers a few different jets to make it a "stage 2" but i couldnt find anything like that for fp.
                            Do you have a slip-on or a full exhaust? IMO Factory Pro is tops and I have used all three of the kits available.

Tmod

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
                              Do you have a slip-on or a full exhaust? IMO Factory Pro is tops and I have used all three of the kits available.

Tmod
                              it has a slip on welded on from the previous owner, he made it a 4-2-1
                              sigpic
                              -Cory-
                              1997 Katana 600

-see my garage for mods-

Comment

Working...
                              X