X
X

HOW TO PICK YOUR MOTORCYCLE UP CORRECTLY

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

got it,,,now if i can just put the center stand down...
    "It is not how these officers died that made them heroes.... It's how they lived"

Comment

That method seems to work for people in skirts... I don't think I would ever use it unless I already failed at lifting for some reason. I just got a used 91 600 as a first bike and I wanted to break it in a little (literally) just on the empty streets around my house. I he-manned it three times within a couple hours. I was already planning on replacing the plastics, and now I have an excuse to replace the mirrors and windshield. =D Anyway, I'm only 120lbs and I didn't have a problem with it, just crouched down, grabbed the hand grips and lifted. My lack of height might help me with leverage I suppose, though it also contributes to the falling so many times. I'm planning on lowering it a little, and doing whatever I can to reduce weight / lower the CofG. I hope that it won't be much of an issue once I'm done with the 25 hour training course I'm taking in a couple weeks.

Comment

Being new to the bike scene and having already done this, that is very helpful. I never thought to do it that way. It's ironic that they are lifting a BMW because I saw a guy drop on in a parking lot just today (but on the right side.)

1995 Kat 600
        Vance & Hines exhaust system
        Dynojet Stage Kit

Comment

This thread is a life saver. This morning I was out in Bayview Village (South Bayview) in Toronto and had to wail on the front brake on a little side street. The bike stopped safely but I was leaning ever-so-slightly to the left with my feet still on the pegs. So the bike said "eff-you brownwa" and proceeded to kneel left and kiss the pavement.

Using the above method I swear-to-God I had the bike up in 5 seconds, effortlessly. I'm going to see the instructors at the motorcycle course at Humber and tell them to include this technique in the training. Had I not learned it on Katriders.com, I would still be in Bayview Village right now trying to pick up the 440lb f***er.

Comment

I've tipped my bike over a few times now, this has helped to save my back!

Comment

Something Just like this happened to me about an hour ago.
              I was propping my Kat up on its Center Stand when my Sweaty left hand Slipped off the Bike. The Angle was too great to recover the bike from Falling, but I more or less lowered it to the ground. I took a bit of upper fairing damage from where the Walkway to my house made contact with the Bike, Ripping the holy hell out of the Right side decal (which I just had the Fun chore removing) Other than the Decal and minor Fairing Damage, I popped the Side stand down and He- Manned the damn thing back upright. I am still soooo Pissed at myself.

Looks like im gonna order the 750 Decals for the Upper Fairing now.

Now im looking for tips on repairing the Minor Damage to fairing

(grabs Digital Camera) I will post a photo of the Boo-Boo

Comment

i put two angles in to show the minor damage. Still pissed off (at myself and Not the Bike)
                Looks like the Body Work i wanted to is going to start earlier than i originally planned

Comment

some of it might buff out but it looks like your going to need some touch up paint

Comment

Cool. Gives me something to teach the wife. She dropped the kat once and being such a little woman she couldnt lift it back up.

Comment

Yea I have a similar problem, had the bike on the side stand, was taking off the decals, pulled too hard and it went over on the left side, broke the shifter, the part you push up and down with your foot. Can that be welded or anything like that?
                      Mick

Comment

she looks like a power lifter.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Good to know

I wish I would have known this when I dropped mine teaching myself. I just was so embarassed that someone saw me that I just reached down and picked it up quickly.
                          Doing a mile at a time on my Sin City Kitty

Comment

awesome information!! I'm still learning.. and this helped so much! The last time I dropped my boyfriend's bike (before I got my own) I about died of embarrassment. Now..lol... he was floored! thanks guys!

Gettin' Lucky
                            Gettin' LUCKY!

Comment

Interesting

Comment

i dropped mine like 5 times and i picked it right up with ease it really isnt that hard to lift the bike and i never used that technique. now loading the bike onto the backof my truck with out ramps is a whole other story i cant do that alone

Comment

Working...
                                X