X

Ah crap -- Gixxer made my G/F cry!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ctandc View Post
    No offense.. I know from your recent posts you love the GSXR...but did you think it was going to be anything like the Kat riding two up?

And from your previous posts, it seems that riding is a big part of your relationship with your GF...so maybe you need to keep the Kat for two up and use the GSXR for solo?
    No...I thought the Gixxer would be just like the Kat two-up. I also believed Obama would have saved the world in 3 easy steps. Come on...I'm not an idiot.

Saturday, I took the Gix to the Gap solo. I followed a couple that was on an R1 that gave me a run for my money. They couldn't leave me, but I couldn't pass them either. I watched his pillion and she seemed right at home even as he power wheelied through Gravity Cavity and the Mini-Humps. I am not saying this is my goal, I am saying it IS possible to ride a SS bike two-up.

I think some of you are getting the wrong idea here. I am not PO'ed at Kristy for not "taking to" the Gix passenger position. Stevie, I was eliminating the obvious responses by listing the things she couldn't do. You know...with all the obvious advice out of the way, we can get to the crux of the issue.

I know she is spoiled by the Katana and told her so. Also, when she was ready to give up, I told her she just needed to keep at it, that she would figure it out and that we could take short rides to work ourselves up to it.

Paul...the suspension was awful, but it's awful when I am riding it. Yea yea...I already had it "set up" for me by Wheeler. It's just a harsh reality. I am old and it is bad ace.

Some can attest, she is an awesome passenger. She is just out of her element and I feel her anxiety was a bigger issue than the seat itself. I have looked into the Corbin seat. Looks only slightly different than the stock seat. Could work though as it will be real leather and not slippery pleather.

One alternative we came up with was keeping the B12 motor, putting it in the Kat and using that bike for the two-up thing but that feels terribly selfish. Guess I could suffer through it. <-- That's a crying smilie, right?

Comment

Long romantic weekend on the kat?
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I'm sorry Mark, I know this has to be a hard blow for you. There is a chance that as she rides more on the back of the Gix she'll get more comfortable with it. The back of a Gixxer is a completely different ride from the Kat and she may "find her seat" (as my old equestrian trainer used to say) yet.

The good news is you still have the Kat. There's also the option of getting her back on her own, though I know that makes you nervous.
        Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

Maybe you cold look into having a grab bar fabed up to mount to the back of the Gixer for her to hold onto, Likr the one on the Kat, Maybe that would help with her comfort level. Just a thought..

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Originally posted by ZukiFred View Post
            Maybe you cold look into having a grab bar fabed up to mount to the back of the Gixer for her to hold onto, Likr the one on the Kat, Maybe that would help with her comfort level. Just a thought..
            The only time I rode pillion on the gix .. francly that's exactly what I wish I had ... I actually tried to figure out if I could hold on from behind but no cigars unless you actually have sometning made .. but that's a great idea Fred.
            Guylaine
            Try and keep up now

Comment

I had the same problem when I swapped from the CBR1100XX to the ZX10R. My wife hated the ZX10. She rode on it once or twice, didn't have a good time, so I never asked her to go again. If I want to ride 2 up, we take my old Honda PC800.

I guess what I'm getting at is, why is it so important that she likes the GSXR? if she likes the Kat, go 2 up on the kat. Better yet, swap it out for an old school Yamaha Venture 1200 for $1500, and ride that. She'll love it. A happy passenger makes for a great ride no matter what bike you're on, and an uncomfy passenger can ruin a ride. The best road in the world sucks with someone complaining the whole time.

Have you tried to sit on the back? You're 10 feet in the air balled up in the fetal position. Hate to say it, but I feel sorry for your girl. I wouldn't ride back there either!

Comment

We did talk about that, too. However, I do have a minor emotional attachment to this bike and don't really want to hack up the rear end.

She gets her bike back from Wheeler this week (she needed her tank welded...beyond my scope). She still likes to ride with me and I still like having her along. Her having her own will only distract her so long. =)

There was also murmuring about a BlackBird.

I think the most realistic approach is this: keep the Kat, install the B12, use for two-up. She learns to ride her 2fitty, gets good enough to get a 600, we then get her a Gix 600, I then chase her through the mountains like a little puppy.

Unless Corbin makes a one-piece Katana seat that fits a Gixxer. :dunno

Comment

You gotta figure out what works for you two. I got the sprint because it was sporty enough with a big enough motor to keep my happy solo, but comfortable enough for Kristin to go 2-up. She kept the Bandit because the Kat never wants to run right for her

I'll go out and ride from sun up to sun down... Kristin's idea of a ride on her own bike is a few hours.

Honestly, if you can afford to do it... keep two machines.
                  -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tmk7c9 View Post
                    I guess what I'm getting at is, why is it so important that she likes the GSXR? if she likes the Kat, go 2 up on the kat. Better yet, swap it out for an old school Yamaha Venture 1200 for $1500, and ride that. She'll love it. A happy passenger makes for a great ride no matter what bike you're on, and an uncomfy passenger can ruin a ride. The best road in the world sucks with someone complaining the whole time.

Have you tried to sit on the back? You're 10 feet in the air balled up in the fetal position. Hate to say it, but I feel sorry for your girl. I wouldn't ride back there either!
                    "You're like a little child wandering into the middle of a movie. You have no frame of reference, Donnie." -- Walter Sobchak

It is important to me that she like the GSXR because I love her and I want her to be able to enjoy a toy of mine with me. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work.

We aren't talking about taking my chick to bike night in some booty shorts. We're talking about stuff like this:

Now, I know the Katana is better suited to two-up riding. However, I have seen plenty of folks having fun on super sports while two-up. So...let's get past the "why" and let's start talking more about the "how." If you don't know, then maybe post up your editorial comments somewhere else.
                    Last edited by SKNL2; 09-02-2009, 07:38 AM.

Comment

SCORE!

Comment

It's $84 plus shipping... but that's a small price to pay for a relationship....
                        -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SKNL2 View Post
                          "You're like a little child wandering into the middle of a movie. You have no frame of reference, Donnie." -- Walter Sobchak.......................

Now, I know the Katana is better suited to two-up riding. However, I have seen plenty of folks having fun on super sports while two-up. So...let's get past the "why" and let's start talking more about the "how." If you don't know, then maybe post up your editorial comments somewhere else.
                          I read every post here, so I'm not sure why I'm missing a frame of reference. If there's more the story than what's posted, then lets hear it.

Secondly, I offered you the same advice that multiple other people have given. You bought a supersport bike....what did you expect would happen? those people on the backs of supersports are likely NOT happy. They've probably been riding for 15 minutes, and fatigue hasn't set in yet. If they are happy, great, good for them. But the reality of the situation is, that your better half isn't one of them.

So, having dealt with the EXACT SAME SITUATION you are now dealing with, I gave you the best advice I could come up with, and what worked for me.
                          1.) remove radiator cap
                          2.) move bike in question backwards 10'
                          3.) move different bike under radiator cap
                          4.) replace cap and ride.

if you don't like that advice, fine. It's worth what you paid for it. but I don't see how it's any less valid than any other suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                            It's $84 plus shipping... but that's a small price to pay for a relationship....
                            Once again, Steve. You have the biggest and brightest lightbulb over your head. So simple, so effective.

tmk, we're gonna try this. I'll check back with you if I need anymore browbeating about buying a Gixxer. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by SKNL2 View Post
                              No...I thought the Gixxer would be just like the Kat two-up. I also believed Obama would have saved the world in 3 easy steps. Come on...I'm not an idiot.

Saturday, I took the Gix to the Gap solo. I followed a couple that was on an R1 that gave me a run for my money. They couldn't leave me, but I couldn't pass them either. I watched his pillion and she seemed right at home even as he power wheelied through Gravity Cavity and the Mini-Humps. I am not saying this is my goal, I am saying it IS possible to ride a SS bike two-up.

I think some of you are getting the wrong idea here. I am not PO'ed at Kristy for not "taking to" the Gix passenger position. Stevie, I was eliminating the obvious responses by listing the things she couldn't do. You know...with all the obvious advice out of the way, we can get to the crux of the issue.

I know she is spoiled by the Katana and told her so. Also, when she was ready to give up, I told her she just needed to keep at it, that she would figure it out and that we could take short rides to work ourselves up to it.

Paul...the suspension was awful, but it's awful when I am riding it. Yea yea...I already had it "set up" for me by Wheeler. It's just a harsh reality. I am old and it is bad ace.

Some can attest, she is an awesome passenger. She is just out of her element and I feel her anxiety was a bigger issue than the seat itself. I have looked into the Corbin seat. Looks only slightly different than the stock seat. Could work though as it will be real leather and not slippery pleather.

One alternative we came up with was keeping the B12 motor, putting it in the Kat and using that bike for the two-up thing but that feels terribly selfish. Guess I could suffer through it. <-- That's a crying smilie, right?
                              I wasn't trying to be an azz with my comment (sometimes it just naturally happens that way.. mea culpa)

Personally I think you did the right thing in telling her it would take time to adjust to riding on the new bike. I mean you and her just didn't hop on and immediately start dragging knee 2-up on the Kat..did you? If you did, don't answer, it'll just make the rest of us look worse...

Tell it's just like when you guys started on the Kat. It's new, and it'll take some time.

As far as riding rear seat on the true SS bikes..

A buddy of mine and his former GF (being former had nothing to do with his riding....) were actually pretty accomplished riders on his CBR. They put tons of miles on, she would even go as far as mapping out routes for weekend trips that involved plenty of twisties.

Talking to him about it one time, he mentioned that when they started she ended up finding some sort of belt with handholds that he wore, and she was able to hold on to...I think they used that for awhile until she was comfy without it...

It might be worth looking into..

After a brief search I did find this

Don't know if that would help or not...

I do know that they rode that CBR 2-up for a good while, then when his bike was in paint jail one Fall, he actually borrowed a friend's older ZX (11..12? I don't remember) and after several hundred miles on the back of that, when they got back on the CBR she kept "hinting" he needed to buy a bike like the ZX...

Comment

Working...
                              X