No announcement yet.
X

Riding boots vs. Steel toe'd work boots

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's true...stay away from a helmet that you don't know the history of.
    although helmets don't have a shelf life, if their worn everyday their susceptible to UV rays, wear & tare and not to mention if their dropped.
    Any marks, scratches & road rash is a helmet to stay away from. Just like an airbag they are a one shot deal & won't give the same protection the second time around. A little common sense here goes along way.

Comment

Even if there are no marks, scratches, or any other sign of abuse, you have to be careful. I would strongly advise not to buy a used helmet, even if you know the history of. You never know the true history.

If a helmet is dropped, even from a small height the integrity of the helmet is compromised and does not offer complete protection.

Just my 2 cents.
      2002 750 Kat
      2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
      2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
      2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
      1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
      2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

oh jeez... time to save up for a new helmet then

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlack7 View Post
          oh jeez... time to save up for a new helmet then
          Don't be fooled. You can get a quality helmet at a reasonable price.
          I will recommend this one as I have crash tested one in this model myself, and it worked perfectly.
          Here’s a great helmet from Scorpion. Not only do you get the sharp graphics that we’ve come to expect from Scorpion but some really thoughtful features....

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Originally posted by ZukiFred View Post
            Don't be fooled. You can get a quality helmet at a reasonable price.
            I will recommend this one as I have crash tested one in this model myself, and it worked perfectly.
            http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...ca_helmet.html
            Nice, I haven't heard a bad review of the Scorpion EXO helmets. I'm leaning towards something Snell certified so I can use it for autocross too though HJC CL-17 for $140 will probably be it http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/hjc-cl-17-helmet

Comment

I like my HJC helmet, should I say helmets...
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran
              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                I like my HJC helmet, should I say helmets...
                HJC is also a good one, I just noticed more wind noise than the scorpion, but I would buy another HJC again too.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Any boot is better than no boot and yes they can be pricey so we seek alternatives around here. I like black leather boots and work boots also. Lace ups are good but still like the comfort and style of some pull ons better if they have rubber cushion outsole. Chippewa and Justin work great for me. You can also get them waterproof or insulated which is good idea depending on where you are or what time of year it is, which is also nice to consider if you want better foot protection just in case because with a safety toe or even nonsteel safety boot you really cant go wrong.

Comment

Motorcycle Boots

Oh yeah... also was thinking about how few riders I know use the leather chukka boots for riding motorcycles too which they tend to love and wear all the time even when not riding, they have great cushion and fit well so can pretty much wear easily when not on your cycle too and they do look very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by ;1080744
                      okay, I just got my 99 Katana, all black. I now have about 800 bucks that I want to spend on gear, just so my girlfriend and mom (and of course, myself) will feel safer with me riding. I really like the JR phoenix series, including jacket, pants, and gloves. I'm going up to cyclegear next week to hopefully pick these up or order them.

Now for my delimma. When riding now, I just wear my steel toe work boots. However, these makes it kind of difficult to shift, since the toe is so thick. Do riding boots usually have a thinner (top to sole) toe, making it easier to shift? Thanks for any help ahead of time!

Same situation, though it was only the msf bikes i really had trouble with. mostly now i suffer from having desert coloured steel toes which show marks from the shifter, and whatever is leaking on the right side at the moment.

maybe find a different brand/model of boot or a way to move the shifter up a bit.

Comment

If this helps.. The most injuries on a motorcycle involve the feet and lower leg. Good quality riding boots have the proper protection for the feet, ankles and shins. I will alway wear race boots for that reason.
                        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran
                        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by sandytrails View Post
                          Any boot is better than no boot and yes they can be pricey so we seek alternatives around here. I like black leather boots and work boots also. Lace ups are good but still like the comfort and style of some pull ons better if they have rubber cushion outsole. Chippewa and Justin work great for me. You can also get them waterproof or insulated which is good idea depending on where you are or what time of year it is, which is also nice to consider if you want better foot protection just in case because with a safety toe or even nonsteel safety boot you really cant go wrong.
                          Why does someone new chime in and try to re-invent stupid, if you wear steel toe boots you have not much more protection then wearing flip-flops

Seriously dude, any rider, ANY rider that does not wear proper gear should sell their SS, sport tourer, motard, super moto, dirt bike etc. sell it and go buy a Harley, they have that same attitude(for the most part). If you can not afford new gear there is craigslist, ebay and even Revzilla and a few other places are selling used gear.

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                          If this helps.. The most injuries on a motorcycle involve the feet and lower leg. Good quality riding boots have the proper protection for the feet, ankles and shins. I will always wear race boots for that reason.
                          ^^^^That is exactly the reason to wear proper gear.

AGATT and proper gear
                          Last edited by dano68; 06-20-2016, 12:31 PM.
                          2002 750 Kat
                          2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
                          2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
                          2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
                          1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
                          2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

shoe/boot strings can get caught in shifter lever or brake lever and cause "issues".
                            never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Originally posted by KAT TOY View Post
                              shoe/boot strings can get caught in shifter lever or brake lever and cause "issues".

sounds like your speaking from experience.

Comment

Laces can get caught up. Pull-on boots have a reputation for flinging off ... right when you need them. Riding boots?? ... I wonder why they're called "riding boots".

Comment

Working...
                                X