X

New Helmet Icon Variant

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Helmet Icon Variant

Well its been buggin me for a while and I finally bought one.
    everytime I saw this lid I though damn thats a sharp multi purpose " the perfect helmet"

More of a stunt/adventure/street fighter style helmet... but works amazing for street and touring.
    At first it was a little awkward getting use to the slight pull when looking to the sides or behind for lane changes but after a few days I dont notice it anymore. its not like my MX helmet there is not lift from the visor.
    what I love about it... its COOL. no more sweaty hot helmet/hair
    Amazing ventilation. you can feel the air moving thru the helmet.
    Fog free
    small shell. I wear a small helmet and Icon uses a smaller shell for small-med lids so I dont look like Gazoo
    amazing optics and wide sight area.
    no more helmet buffeting. This helmet has none of the buffeting my other Icon or Vega Altura have.
    The visor is great for evening/morning riding. just tilt the head and no more glare.

The only down side ive found is changing the visor is a little more work then the average quick release street helmet. My first time it took me about 4 minutes. I bought the silver shield... great visability at night and still a light tint for the day. No need to change the visor ever.

I added the Rockstar stickers.

98 GSX750F
    95 Honda VT600 vlx
    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

These helmets got my attention when they came out too. They have a cool unique look to them. I would never get one now as I need dual purpose for track and street but if I was still mainly street I would still be considering this.

Nice to know the visor is not too much of a concern. I think it is sharp looking. I would have gone without the rockstar stuff but it fits with your bike well.
    I am a Penn State fanatic.
    Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

This is the first helmet ive owned that dozens of people have commented on.
      Ive had some people say nice paint job on helmets ive air brushed etc...

With the variant people are constantly asking me about it and telling me what a cool or sick helmet I have, where i got it and how much. lol
      98 GSX750F
      95 Honda VT600 vlx
      08 Tsu SX200

Comment

Hows the over all wind noise I read some reviews that said these were pretty noisy

Comment

Reminds me of my Halo playing days
          2000 Katana 600
          2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Originally posted by djdaredevil View Post
            Hows the over all wind noise I read some reviews that said these were pretty noisy
            Moderate .
            its not as quiet as my Icon Alliance.

but its better then my Icon mainframe, Vega Altura, HJC CL-15 Mutant, ZR1 Viper etc. Lots of vets allow for more wind noise but its not bad at all.
            I just realized... I have way too many helmets

I had a Arai K5 to but it was damaged from a wreck. I rode to Buffalo wearing it to pick up my new helmet, tossed it out and wore the Icon home.

Originally posted by Astro4x4 View Post
            yeah I have had several people say that
            Last edited by hardlydangerous; 07-19-2012, 01:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
            98 GSX750F
            95 Honda VT600 vlx
            08 Tsu SX200

Comment

Originally posted by Astro4x4 View Post
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I like Icon Gear, I have a jacket and gloves that I bought years ago and the are still in great shape for their age and use. I'm really liking the look of that helmet for sure.

Comment

Thanks
                  Im lovin it in this hot weather... Also best helmet ever in the rain. antifog shield works great and with the design and visor rian is swept off the visor.

I have Icon gear as well as shift, ProSpeed and have had many others. I dont care what people wear as long as you are protected. If you cant afford a jacket get an EVS balistic jersey. No need to match.
                  5 things every rider should have

Tall boots (touring or race style)
                  knee/leg armor
                  Gloves
                  Jacket with CE armor
                  Helmet

Icon gear is ok. Better quality then Joe rocket but priced higher, and comparable to Shift and SS stuff. Astars stuff is better quality yet but you pay for it dearly.
                  I love Astars boots but also my Vega Nitro boots are just as nice... $300 price difference and quality imo is just as good.
                  Most Icon Helmets are made by HJC corp
                  Last edited by hardlydangerous; 07-20-2012, 01:11 AM.
                  98 GSX750F
                  95 Honda VT600 vlx
                  08 Tsu SX200

Comment

Been really debating on getting one of the Variant helmets
                    J'ai Aime, J'ai Souffert, Maintenant, Je Hais...

which is translated from french 2 english reads:

I have loved. I have suffered. Right now, I hate.

Comment

I really like my Variant.
                      Jesus, family, me. Psalm 121 Red Pill Mille Clip ATGATT
                      '01 Aprilia RST 1000 Futura
                      '08 Aprilia RSV Factory
                      '11 Kawasaki KLR650
                      I bought my first Kat in 1991, brand new, a red 600. No pics though.

Comment

I don't get what the large looking thing on top of the helmet is supposed to do? Whats its purpose other than looking like some sort of Star Wars bounty hunter

Comment

Comment

So just for looks then....mostly. Might be okay to wear on a bike where you sit more upright, but there is a con that I can see already. On a sports bike, you lean more forward. I can see that visor creating a lot of down force on the helmet thus leading to neck cramps while trying to fight the wind over long periods. Doesn't make sense to wear these types of helmets on a Katana....unless you want to strain your neck muscles.

Comment

Working...
                            X