Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Let Me Know If You've Heard This One Before ...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let Me Know If You've Heard This One Before ...

Put some miles on her today .... got out on I-285 crunk her up to about 85-90 (about 6200 - 6500rpm ... good highway speed) and the engine died while at speed . The engine then re-ignited itself after the rpm's decreased and all cylinders were firing. I did notice when it did re-fire, there was a loud discharge out the tailpipe. That means the cylinders did load up thus ruling out a fuel problem, right ? I think the problem is in the ignition system. Another factor noticed was when I let the bike cool off, it did go all the way up the rpm range. The engine is at operating temp when this happens. I noticed this issue the other day rolling down I-85. I ran it passed someone that I listen to (from time to time), he seems to think it could be the either the signal generator or the coils.

I am leaning that way but I am still willing to receive input on this issue ... lets hear it
    The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Maybe there's a small crack in the isolation of one (or all) of the coils that provide the sparks, or the lead running to the coils. It's possible that this manifests only when running on temp. You should have a run to warm her up and as soon as you get back try to measure the voltage when they are still warm.
    Open your mind, freedom's a state.

sigpic

When in doubt, lean more.

Comment

Just bought a CDI box off ebay for 97.00 including shipping ... fingers are crossed for a legit seller and a good product.
      The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

MIne did that to me a couple of times... then one very hot day I stopped at the gas station 1.5 miles form my house to fill up. SHe never fired again. I pushed her lovingly back, yeah right, to the garage.

I could not find a cheap CDI so I went with a Dyna2000 kit. Have not had it do it to me again. I think you are right in thinking it is the CDI....
        "Life is what happens when you make plans..."

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119546

Comment

No freakin' idea, dude, but your signature made me crack up laughing.
          2006 Katana GSX750F

Comment

Originally posted by Nut-Nut View Post
            MIne did that to me a couple of times... then one very hot day I stopped at the gas station 1.5 miles form my house to fill up. SHe never fired again. I pushed her lovingly back, yeah right, to the garage.

I could not find a cheap CDI so I went with a Dyna2000 kit. Have not had it do it to me again. I think you are right in thinking it is the CDI....
            As written, I did find one .... only issue I may have is the CDI box is a different year than my bike but is off a kat1100 ... I think it should work fine. I don't think there were any engine changes thru it's run in the states ... any input will be rcvd and appreciated

BIGKAT1100

Comment

You're right. The engine didn't change. The same part number was used on all the 1100s and, strangely enough, the pre-600s.

When in doubt, use RonAyers' "where does it fit" function.
              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                You're right. The engine didn't change. The same part number was used on all the 1100s and, strangely enough, the pre-600s.

When in doubt, use RonAyers' "where does it fit" function.
                My 92 600 has different plugs on it than my 96 600 parts bike so that may be the only issue. They were just different sizes but same wires so if need be wouldn't be too hard to swap the plug ends out.
                When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

CDI box- one thing to look for is that the there are two types:
                  1. CA spec
                  2. 49 spec

CA spec has different advance, I forgot the details. If you go to RA parts fiche, you can get the parts# to be sure of what you are getting.

Comment

Originally posted by DClark View Post
                    CDI box- one thing to look for is that the there are two types:
                    1. CA spec
                    2. 49 spec

CA spec has different advance, I forgot the details. If you go to RA parts fiche, you can get the parts# to be sure of what you are getting.
                    part was in Ohio ... I thinking its not very likely that it came of a Ca spec bike ... hopefully ...

BIGKAT1100

Comment

Working...
                    X